That's it, I'm done.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
That's it, I'm done.

The $4/gallon for gas finally broke me. 7.5 gallons for $30 today, which means I'd have to get gas again before the end of the week. Paying $20 per week for gas was bad, but now I'm done with it.

I went into Walmart today and got their $70 bike. I put it together myself, took a test ride, and now am just waiting for tomorrow when I start biking to work (and everywhere else).

So here's to a healthier day and more money in MY pocket.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: That's it, I'm done.

Yah, but then you're going to want longer range, more power, lighter batteries...

You may be broken, but you're far from done. :)

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

miro13car

As electric scooter dealer I would think you already ride electric??
What is the winter like in your state?
MC

CM

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

You would think. :)

I actually did have one for quite a few years, but ended up giving it away when I had to move this last time. Now I've got my sights on the XM-3500Li... LOL, yeah right. As soon as I take out a second mortgage from Beelzebub on my soul.

Winters in MY state are either non-existent (south) or 4-feet overnight (north). Winters where I'm at now are yet to be seen. ;-) I travel a lot.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

deronmoped

I see that a lot in San Diego, more people on bicycles.

What puzzles me is if other areas of the country are like San Diego where I'm seeing a big drop in the amount of cars on the road, then why are gas prices still going up? We must have dropped our gasoline use by a significant amount, and we are the biggest users, so a cut back by the USA should be reflected in the prices. The only thing I can think of is speculators buying oil futures are bidding the prices up.

Deron.

needWheels

I see that a lot in San Diego, more people on bicycles.

What puzzles me is if other areas of the country are like San Diego where I'm seeing a big drop in the amount of cars on the road, then why are gas prices still going up?

Retirement funds are dumping losing stocks and investing in oil futures since they think they are almost as good as gold at this point.

China's population has also discovered cheap cars now and is approaching the one-car-per person (instead of per family) "american" standard.

Gas might drop back to $3 someday but I doubt we'll ever see it below that - the public has accepted it too much and the corporations will take advantage of it, even if their costs drop.

Next we gotta worry about "peak water", sigh.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
...Next we gotta worry about "peak water", sigh....

Peak Everything: Waking Up to the Century of Declines goes into this in excruciating detail.

The peak oil paradigm also applies to other resources. Water, farm land, uranium, natural gas, coal, iron, etc...

I think there's a deeper issue at hand. That so many of our things are derived from a destructive pattern. What I mean is the pattern of a) extract raw material, b) turn it into a product, c) throw it away when done with the gizmo ... This is a destruction pattern, because it's about destroying raw materials because "throw it away" doesn't consider any form of reuse.

e.g. once you've burned gasoline how can you reuse it? You can't, because it's been destructed.

The natural world is full of constructive patterns that don't involve destruction. The natural world reuses everything. An animal or a plant dies and there are a zillion creatures who come along and reuse every part of that dead creature. Somehow the natural world survived very well for zillions of years without getting to a point where it created its own destruction.

gushar

Well, can't exactly agree with one of those statements. Nothing in our world is ever destroyed. It simply changes form. That's a very big misconception in our society and it leads to illusions about alot of things. The gasoline that you burn changes into heat energy, other gases, etc. Just wanted to make that correction. ;-)

Gushar

Gus

dogman
dogman's picture

Very true. It seems to be man that likes to convert things into a form that is useless to man or nature. We just love combustion. We'll burn it all eventually, but for now we just burn stuff that is (was) cheap. Then we will move on to the next cheapest, untill all the carbon is in the atmosphere. Hopefully some of the burning will be done to make solar colectors and windmills.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

Just an update on my bicycle riding, now two weeks later...

I'm losing weight - moved down one hole in my belt. Rear brakes on the bike are now half what they were when I got it. Bearings in the crank may need to be replaced already - making popping noises.

So far, no one has tried to run me over. Yet.

<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...

GrooveConnection

...Gas might drop back to $3 someday ....

Boy the optimists sure don't quit do they?

UK: 8.62 / gallon
SPain and Germany 10 - 15 % above that ....

What makes you think we aren't facing the same fate?

One more question:

Doesn't it puzzle you that the germans and dutch can pay almost 9 bucks a gallon, pay a top income tax of 56 %, a sales tax of 17 % --- and still smile??

The Mighty Dollar has lost it's "Internal Buying Power" - the only reason we still can afford gadgets is China.
The housing market tells another portion of this sad tale.

The Oil Guys are going out of business - but they take ALL of our money with them - smart huh?
Then they can come back as renewable energy companies and earn even more. (Sounds apocalyptic? Yup.)

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I no longer care what the price of gas is. :)

Update: the popping sound is not the crank bearings, but the bearings in the pedals. I also found out that I cannot remove the bearings from these pedals because there is no nut on the end to remove - the zarkin thing is like a giant rivet. So now I have to go find replacement pedals.

Mik
Mik's picture

I no longer care what the price of gas is. :)

Update: the popping sound is not the crank bearings, but the bearings in the pedals. I also found out that I cannot remove the bearings from these pedals because there is no nut on the end to remove - the zarkin thing is like a giant rivet. So now I have to go find replacement pedals.

You could try to press some grease into the pedals, that sometimes works.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage