mods for 1500w scooter

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
indysolar
mods for 1500w scooter

Newbie to EV here looking for some advice.

Just picked up a RX-300 'Ful Winner Warrior' scooter from craig's list. 1500w, 48V, does about 34 on the flats. Great for my 20 mile commute, provided i charge at each end. I'd be interested in anything i can do to:

increase power
increase range
increase weather-proofing

I saw there are some controller mods people are doing - pros / cons? Can I wrap up the batteries / controller for better weather protection? Any other general hints / advice? Anything for the new ev enthusiast?

Thanks for your help.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: mods for 1500w scooter

Do you know of a link to a manufacturer .. anybody? I tried googling that and came up with a Lexus (RX-300 being one of their model names) and nothing close to an EV scooter.

Anyway.. some basic questions are:- a) is the motor brushed or brushless ? b) does the motor appear to be beefy enough to be overvolted ? c) is the battery compartment large enough for more batteries ? d) how integrated is the controller & 12v wiring ? e) It's likely it's a hub motor in the rear wheel ???

Increasing power is typically done with higher voltage. Increasing range is typically done by increasing kwh's onboard. I can't say much about weather proofing because we don't have weather in california.

But if the controller can't handle a higher voltage the question becomes how difficult is it to replace the controller. If the motor is brushless the controller is more complicated than a brushed motor. But a brushless motor has near-zero maintenance whereas a brushed motor requires brush replacement and might require cleaning. If the motor simply can't handle "more" then you're stuck.

indysolar

Thanks Dave,

Unknown manufacturer. Seller claimed it was "the same" as EVT-168, supposedly it's brushless, but who knows. I'd love to add another battery (inside the helmet storage area), but would 60v be too much for the motor / controller? There is easy access to controller and another small control box under the seat.

Also has horrible drum brakes and the front shock tops out with a loud knock. In my dream world, I'd love to replace the front end, but it works ok i guess. Is it worth going through the upgrades or should I just find a 2500w model?

I paid $900 for it on craig's list, but the batteries had to be mounted and wired. Could probably get $1300 for it towards a Z-20.

One final thing, I can't seem to get it charged with the stock charger. I had it plugged in for 24 hours and they measured 52 volts. I've been using a DC power supply to manually get it up to around 57 volts, but this is a hassle.

I really appreciate all the help, these things are great!

Thanks,

-Pete

scoot1.jpg

scoot2.jpg

zerogas
zerogas's picture

Sell me the hub motor :D Check this link for mods. http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3534-30-mph-xtreme-xb-600-60v-modification-instructions

Happy Modding,
Warren

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage