just got BD36, missing battery harness, need help making substitute

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
needWheels
just got BD36, missing battery harness, need help making substitute

I've just received an old but never used BD36 kit.

Unfortunately it's missing the battery harness, the part that connects to the battery side of the controller (as well as the battery bag, sigh).

Of all the parts that could be missing, I guess this is fortunate in that I could probably rig something.

But I need help - I assume the shorter cable on the controller is the battery hookup. Is the male part (exposed prong) of the plug where positive goes? Or negative?

What could I possibly rig to connect to that easily/temporariy, or should just just shove some wire inside and tape it closed in the meanwhile?

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: just got BD36, substitute

The red wire from the controller is postive. Electricscooterparts.com sells the bullet connectors you need to match the controller connector. Or you could get anderson connectors from ebikes ca or other sources. What you can do today, though, and ride tomorow, is cut off the connector and use wire nuts to make a temporary connection till you get some andersons. Get some 12 guage wire to make the harness and some flat connectors at the hardware store. The sise you are looking for is the yellow ones. you will need 2 long wires to connect to the controller with a wire nut on one end and a flat connector on the battery end. Mark these for polarity VERY CAREFULLY. Then make short little wires with flat connectors on each end to complete the harness. If you can't find a diagram of series connection here on this site look it up in wkipedia or something. Basicly its the positive wire on one battery to positive on the controller, and the wire goes from that battery negative, to the next positive, and so on till the last negative goes to the negative on the controller. Have fun! and don't let loose nuts on the hub cause it to spin. Make sure the washers fit nice an flat. Battery bags can be bought too, but I need a minuite to hunt it down.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

dogman
dogman's picture

Ecomoto.com has a big selection of parts, but no harness dang it, unless you buy the complete pack, with batteries and bag. Maybe if you call them you could still get it. Bags are cheap though. Till you get one, or make a box, there's allways duct tape. Use a lot those batteries are heavy.

Be the pack leader.

needWheels

The seller thinks they know where the part went.
So hopefully I will eventually get it. We'll see.

dogman
dogman's picture

Cool, but now you won't be so eager to cut the wires. If you try to stuff wires to make a connection and it shorts, not only will there be a big spark and melting metal, but it could easily smoke the controller. My contoller smoked when the motor wires got cut. Gotta have those washers and nuts right.

Be the pack leader.

needWheels

Bad news, seller doesn't have it and the other person who got their other kit also got two chargers. How weird is that?!

I need to put the wheel on, I can't find if the wires come out on the left or right, I vaguely remember right side. Need to google some.

needWheels

Okay so I see the wires come out on the right hand side of the bike (as if you were sitting on it).

The washers go on the outside of the fork I see.
I think I already lost a washer on the right side somehow ugh.

The left side washer has a short stem on it. Does that go into the fork notch at the bottom so it cannot spin?

I like how those wires come out at the bottom, very clever.

needWheels

Well after I accidentally destroyed my speedometer sensor by pulling the wires out during this install I decided to take a break so I wouldn't get too upset. Tried disssembling the sensor to reattach the wires but that only made it worse so I ordered a $5 replacement from dealextreme (two more weeks, sigh)

Anyway, I am going back to make the battery series connectors now. Here's hoping that goes alot better or it could get alot worse!

Are there are fuses on the factory harness? I find it hard to believe there's no safety, no reset, on this whole deal.

By the way, after wrestling with it for nearly 1.5 hours I managed to reduce the spring tension in the thumb accelerator. I DO NOT recommend fiddling with it, what a pain in the butt. I thought I'd never get it to go back together right and the verdict is still out if it's even going to work.

I wish the wires going into the controller had connectors, how silly and cheap not to do that. There is no way in heck this controller is waterproof. Unless it's upside down, I don't see how it's water resistant either.

By the way, the third cap in the controller on the side, the smaller one in purple only says 50v. Not sure what part that is for but wanted to mention it.

Richard145

When my battery pack for the BD36 kit arrived, the connectors had been smashed in shipping (I have a feeling that happens a lot). Dennis at Bernson EV quickly sent replacements for the charger and controller side of the harness. Maybe the whole harness can be ordered from there. You might have to call for that. The other wires are easy to make, 12 guage wire with female disconnects.

Gasoline? No thanks.
RL

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage