Kero 200 - the XM-2000's Kiwi cousin

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mattywhiplash
Kero 200 - the XM-2000's Kiwi cousin

Hi folks,

I'm just thought I'd introduce my self and my Kero 200. Well, actually the Kero 200 is just the XM-2000 re-branded for the New Zealand market. I'm really just writing this in so that google can get a hold of it so those that come looking for information regarding these bikes can find this site.

I'd like to shout-it-out to USATracy.... thanks for the service manual type instruction. Just finished overhauling my brakes and I got it all back together with out any worries. Nice to see someone just helping others out! CHEERS!

A few random things about my Kero/XM
1) the brakes are pretty bad..... Front brakes are easily fixed with a bit of copper grease on the moving interfaces while the back breaks can squeal and grind in a nasty sounding fashion this seems to have gone away after me taking it apart and putting it bake together (the toaster syndrome ) It might have had something to do with the brake side nut being a little loose and allowing the brake housing to shudder.....I'll know in time.

2)Max speed is about 65km/h (40mph) (according to the speedo..... I haven't put this on a dyno yet but I suspect this reads a little high) on the flat but I've had it close to 80km/h (50mph) down hill with a tail wind. Got a little shaky :p

3) Batteries: I burnt out the silicone batteries I first got with the bike in a little less than 6 months. Range was down to 16km (10miles). The local service folks threw in "50Ah" lead acids (I'll believe it once I get a hold of a battery tester). Now the range seems to be holding at about 25km (15m). I'm too impatient to travel at 30kmph (20mph) in low power mode to find out what the full range is like. The lead acids are a little too heavy and make the bike much harder to park/push.

Other than that all I have to say is that I love my little electric scooter. We've (my partner and I) done nearly 4000km (2500m) and love the quiet efficiency!

Thanks for the good forum!

Cheers,

Matt

jasinspace
Re: Kero 200 - the XM-2000's Kiwi cousin

hi matt
thanks for your post. it can be frustrating researching 'rebranded' stuff.

i just test drove the kero 200 today!!:)

this model is being discontinued in NZ i think, the one i rode was already sold, but the only kero available for me to test, here in Christchurch. I think I will get the new "eRanger""SynECO" I presume its just a new/modified XM-2000. The price seems steep but it is probably worth it for the better batteries and more power(even if it can't go over 50kph).

jas.

ps if anyone has an eRanger i would love to know of your experience. I think I will have to order one without 'seeing' one as I can't get to Wellington for a test drive(am I crazy?).

here is the info I've got on it for anyone interested:

The torque and therefore acceleration has increased from 80Nm to 120Nm
on the new SynECO 2008 models over the Kero 200 (2006 models)

We currently have available the SynECO "Alysa eCruiser"
and "eRanger" MOPED class vehicles ( 50km/hr on Car license )

as well as New shipment of the SynECO "eVoyager" Motorbike class vehicle.
The eVOYAGER is a 13" Wheel MAXI scooter style capable of Motorway legal speeds

The cost of Electricity to run the MOPEDs is between 0.5-1 cent per kilometer.
This is due to the efficient 80-95% in hub electric motor wheel
and the advanced six phase high torque drive system.

Main features of the New 2008 models are :

* High Torque 6 Phase BLDC Motor ( 2500w-3500w)
(Brushless “Magnetronic Drive” ™ )

+ Very low Noise levels due to 6 phase design.

+ 80-95% efficiency ( petrol engines are only 17% )

o Braking improved by replace the Drum brake ( drum braking heats the motor and restricts the magnetronic motor size)with Hydraulic Disc brake now on both front and rear wheels

* Lithium (LiFePo) batteries
Charging is upto 3 times faster than with PbA batteries

o Easier handling due to 30kg lighter with LiFePO4 battery

*SynECO Alysa Cruiser and Ranger* MOPED Class
with High Torque Magnetronic Drive(tm)
$3995 With PbA battery
$5,500(4,176.15 USD) with Lithium LiFePO4 batteries

1. what is the top speed of eRanger? can I only go 50 on it with a car license, or is the bike physically restricted to 50kph? if it is restricted can this be removed later on, if I decide to get a motorbike license?
NZ law requires registration as MOPED must not exceed 50km/hr in order to use on Car license. Manufacturer claims 65km/hr max possible but this is restricted to 50-53km/hr. You would need to re register as Motorbike.To do this requires certification and compliance as a Motorbike.

> 2. whats the estimated battery life...
2000-3000 deep cycles for LiFePO4 ie 300 per year = 8-10 years!!!
VRLA 300 cycles 2-3 years depending on usage.

> 3. cost of battery replacement...
current list price is USD104 per cell
19 cells per bike

> 4. estimated range?
75km at full speed . Further at lower speeds

> 6. how much is the on road costs?
Registration is about $140 for first year.
[/i]

the other alternative(tempting at half the price):

Kero-K150ER 2000W 60V - 5 batteries - Extended Range - Blue or Red, slightly detuned K200 to extend range by limited current, this also keeps max speed down to 50km/h $2,750.00
range: 80km@25kph, 45km@50kph.

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture

presumably, the new kero's you mention are the xm-3000 & 3500 here in the us. Some of those are out, & there are many threads in the root forum.

My xm3k (the non lion model) will do 80km/hr, but that's feels a little fast on a little scoot. I've also gotten my suzuki drz up to 93 mph (150 km/hr)! too fast for a dirt bike with knobbies, & 80 is a little fast for this scooter, safety wise, imo.

It works quite well under 50 kph, & has better usable range at that speed. The lion model is faster & has better range.. but i'm not sure the suspension or tires make it any better. The brakes are good.. which they should be to stop a 300# beast with a rider.

These seem to be made for the 'moped' class in nz.. similar classifications in many states here in US. It has a switch for high & low speed. The switch will keep it under 50kph.

scotty

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The lion model is faster & has better range.. but i'm not sure the suspension or tires make it any better.

Just FYI - the lion version (XM-3500Li) has 13" wheels and a longer wheelbase whereas the XM-3000 has 10" wheels. Tires and suspension will be of similar quality to those fitted on the XM-3000 - just bigger.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Mattywhiplash

Gidday Jasinspace

A few thoughts on the Kero that might put things in perspective......

"Kero-K150ER 2000W 60V - 5 batteries - Extended Range - Blue or Red, slightly detuned K200 to extend range by limited current, this also keeps max speed down to 50km/h $2,750.00
range: 80km@25kph, 45km@50kph."

One thing I have learnt about the Kero..... Never believe the stats. When I was looking at the kero originally I was assured that it would make 80km. Even with fresh batteries in the height of summer it still never made more than 30. I'm not exactly light (85Kg) but that still doesn't account for 50km! If they are promising extended range from the Kero.... organize an hour trial ride and make sure it does what they say :) Better to know what your getting yourself in for....

Second thought, I've been looking at replacing the battery pack (which I found out is only a 36Ah pack) and the 60V aspect has been causing me problems as most easily avaialable drop in replacements only make it up to 48V. Just a thought to throw into the decision making process.

If you do get an e-rider, let me know how it goes. It came in a close second when I was looking back in 2006 but after my experience with Kero I'm really wondering if it would have been better :)

Cheers,

Matt

PS yes, despite the fact I am a lot more cautious about electric vehicles, I still think they are the best mode of transport!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage