some pics and stats on my twin kollmorgen home made bike.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
noobster
noobster's picture
some pics and stats on my twin kollmorgen home made bike.
AttachmentSize
Image icon 0617081733.jpg76.9 KB
Image icon 0617081734.jpg53.3 KB
Image icon 0617081734a.jpg62.49 KB

Well my bike took me about $350 bucks to make and I'm happy with it.
Here is a partial list of parts and prices.
2 Kollmorgen motors off fleabay $98 shipping included
2 small 12v honda starter batteries from junkyard $44(i'm not running them below %50 dod so they should last a long time.
chain $10 approx.
sprocket and freewheel $30
throttle/dual pot $10
thick battery cables from junk yard $5
bike, already had it.
and I don't know why it cost me so much in the end but it did and I'm happy with it.
Iv'e topped it out at 27.9 mph according to my cheap bike speedo and it goes 25mph on flat ground with no problem. Honestly I wish I geared it higher because I think it could handle the higher gearing and go much faster.
It was running (all but the rear wheel was connected to the cranks via chain because I used the rear wheel on the front) but I stripped out the hub on the wheel though my freewheel threads seem fine so right now I'm searching for two complete rear wheels(one for front) hopefully this time the hubs with not be aluminum. Maybe I should resist doing fwd burnouts :P My goal was 8miles on a charge and it does that without going below %50 dod so that worked out perfectly. Thank you guys for your help. -Ryan from so-cal.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: some pics and stats on my twin kollmorgen home made bike.

Nice frankenbike. Not exactly stealth but it definitely wins the cheapo award. I thought I had a coulple of pretty cheap bikes, but you got me beat by a mile.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

noobster
noobster's picture

Wow... what do I say to that? Thanks I guess. Cheap, not for me. reliable, apart from the aluminum hub threads on the hub stripping it is. My plan is to take anyones bike, do this conversion to it and give it back to make money to keep me in college. I think I can remake this bike over and over for about $250 not including the cost of the bike itself. But 25mph is fast and it gets 350 to 1450 miles for $4.00 of electricity depending on kilowatt cost. I like it and I don't care that's it's not stealth cuz I talked to the dmv about how to go about getting it registered as a moped. All I need to do now is fix it and give it to a cop to test ride it. Do I get a prize for the cheapo award? :P

go green

tropmonky

I'm happy you've posted pics! Could you tell me how the drive system works? What parts are you using to do the gear reduction?

Thanks! you're an inspiration to all of us that can't afford to drop $1k+ on a bike (though be it electric) right now.

Kyle

noobster
noobster's picture

it's all number 25 chain. the motors are 11 tooth and the sprocket is 65 I think. Everything but the motors can be found on electricscooterparts.com. I got the motors from ebay. I found everything electricscooterparts.com sells on ebay from tns scooter parts for about half the price. Here's where I got my chain for cheap www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13605 - 22k -. It's all built on a shim system so the alignment of the chain components can be adjusted easily. I used a double pot for the throttle which is really hard to find but the do sell them on ebay. I'm looking into a magura throttle but I don't know if I can run two motors off the same pot. The batteries cost me $45 at the salvage yard, I don't take them below %50 dod so they are great. I can got about 15 miles without going below %50 dod. The charger is a schumacher speed charge, http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1200a.html. It's like this one but mine has a 25amp option and cost less than $30 brand new on ebay. It can charge both batteries from %50 dod in about 4 hours. Hope this all helps. good luck and if you have any questions just ask. BTW does anyone know where I can get a 48v 150amp+ brushless controller for my new project thanks.

go green

deronmoped

I think your bike looks cool, must be fun smoking the tire. Any plans to hook up the pedals, get the correct gearing hooked up to the pedals and you could probably add a few more MPH to the top end, you would be getting some surprised looks as you pedal pass people in their cars :)

Deron.

noobster
noobster's picture

The pedals are hooked up now. I replaced the cranks with some sumano 3 pieces off a mountain bike. I took off all but the smallest gear to make it really low geared in case I have to pedal it home. I put back on the milk crate on top of the new rear rack I got but I think I'm going to put it back together the way it was with the saddle packs. I have in the works a full suspension tadpole trike but my job is taking up most of my time nowadays. It's fully legal but cops don't know that but they still don't hassel me which I think is funny.

go green

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage