which bike to get?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jhfeld
which bike to get?

i live on a big hill in San Francisco and am looking for a scooter to get to my work a couple of miles away. has anybody had any luck w/ a bike that has done well climbing hills? i'd much prefer a more retro looking bike, but i'd settle for reliability.

thanks for any insight you can offer.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: which bike to get?

Lawrence Rhodes loves his Oxygen Lepton scooter, and he lives in San Francisco.

It's a 28 miles/hr scooter that's very solidly built. The maker is from Italy and has a lot of style and looks like a Vespa.

You can get them from Thunderstruck Motors or Electric Motor Sport (both are in the bay area)

Last time I saw Lawrence he ended up giving me a ride on his lepton. Both of us are (ahem) a little (cough) overweight but the lepton did us just fine on a ride of about 5 blocks in the area around the Moscone center (fairly flat). But he lives in a very hilly section of SF and also rides to Twin Peaks quite a bit.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: which bike to get?

Another good option would be a bike kit that drives the chain, so the gears can be used to climb. And if you went hub motor bike, the geared ones climb well. Most retro cruisers are a bad choice for hills unless they have at least 5 speeds on the rear wheel. But you still get nice things like a chain guard.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot