will OEM charger discharge SLA's if left plugged in?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
gtco3dfever
will OEM charger discharge SLA's if left plugged in?

Hi all,

I installed a 12 hour twist timer (Intermatic) to a receptical so I won't accidentally over charge my Lashout SLA's. Then I wondered if I left the chrger plugged in to the scooter will the transformer discgarge the SLA's when the timer runs out and there's no juice going to the charger? Do I make any sense?

Thanks for all your opinions.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: will OEM charger discharge SLA's if left plugged in?

Chargers almost never use transformers. The vast majority are basically current limited switch mode power supplies with some extra electronics to check how charged the battery is and to control its output. Short answer: No, it shouldn't discharge the batteries in a reasonable amount of time. You can check with some alligator clips and the current sensing function of a DVM to see if your charger draws an appreciable amount of current when not plugged in.. Careful not to short out anything. ;)

Though why can't you just leave the charger connected? Most chargers can safely keep floating the batteries after they're done charging. :/

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

gtco3dfever

Thanks for your time.

My kids hardly ever ride it so sometimes it sits undisturbed. I actually have this timer setup for other types of chargers as well and works great for those types. It's also the only receptacle within easy access.

I'm not sure if the original OEM charger that came with this Lashout scooter has the floating end charge feature. I'm guessing it's a basic charger. I'll have to take a look tonight after work............

I thought these cheap chargers were just transformers with matching plugs.....thus if the battery is plugged in it will sap juice from the battery if there's no power going to it.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Does it have a charging status (red/green) indicator light? If it does, it probably does float charging. Though how well it does this, I don't know.

I haven't seen any cheap chargers that were transformers. Transformers are big, heavy and, more importantly, expensive. I got one from radio shack that cost me like $15 and it's only 24V 2A. Weighs like a pound and a half and is the width of my palm. Plus without diodes on the output end they're almost a dead short to a DC signal.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

gtco3dfever

Hi again Link,

I remember playing Zelda on the original NES in my high school days.

Thanks for taking the time to explain these things. Your posts are easy to read......

If my kids aren't interested in the scooter anymore I may take it back and make some simple mods to it. Watch, as soon as I'm done they'll be hogging it and I'll have to de-mod it again. They have no fear with my oldest being 10 years old. No sense of pain.

---------------------------

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture

It will depend on the charger, plus the cheap chargers have another problem: If they're hooked up without being plugged in, some will get zapped by the current coming back from the batteries. I've had a couple of cheap 24v chargers get fried this way. They didn't have a diode to protect them, so you had to plug them into ac, first, then to the batteries. IF you didn't, the charger fried.

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation