Technical reliability :?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ZEV_Pt
ZEV_Pt's picture
Technical reliability :?

Hi Everyone!

I'm seriously considering to purchase the Vectrix, given that, even in real-world specs it suits my needs perfectly: inner-city use, good storage/suitcase portability, short distance legs, good acceleration to leave traffic lights and avoid cars.

However, the price-reliability combo is scaring me a bit, as is the current price of new batteries... and still not Li-Ion!

The local retailer/workshop is actually very close to my home, a couple of kms away, so in that area I'm covered, but still, and since I'm considering it as a frequent-use commuter and will actually even sell my car (no need for two cars in the city, for our houshold car+bike is a far better combo) I would really put it to frequent use.

The fact is, that these technical reliability issues are making me consider purchasing one of those new "in-between" chinese-made scooters (like the e-funD and the XM-3500Li), given that the bigger size of the scooter and the additional top-speed would somewhat meet my demands. Sure they will have problems, but to have them on the Vectrix as well and pay the additional "extra"... I'm starting to wonder if it's not only hype :|

Any thought on this?
I really want to go "green", but I also don't really want to throw money away.... :?

duca
Re: Technical reliability :?

I for myself can only tell positive things about my Vectrix experience so far.
Little theething problems were solved in no time and the only major issue (battery recall action, but it would of course not affect new bikes) was solved too with positive engagement of Vectrix Rome. So far I have driven 9500+km heading to 10.000km since last mid-November with every possible weather conditions.
There are some minor issues with the trip compuer for example, and ongoing software updates every time you bring the Vectrix in for servicing, but nothing which would really affect the performance and reliability of the machine so far.
OTOH, others here have not so good things to report.
I'm confident that the first wawe of pioneers customers like myself, mik and others have already served as guinea pig for a time sufficient to bring the newer production lots to a more-than-acceptable qualitiy standard in line with the required price.
If I were to judge from my experience, I'd say buy it: you say the retailer is close to home, so even in the higly unfortunate event to run through Mik-like troubles, the assistance wouldn't be 2.000km away like in his case and, honestly, I think such an extreme case like his is very far from being the rule.

Regards

MattFish

I'd have to second the positive comments from Duca.

I've been riding my Vectrix since August 2007. I'm coming up on 6500km, including long rides in very hot weather (40C+) and lots of steep hills climbs and descents. In this 10 month period I've had zero maintenance issues. I haven't had to spend a dime on maintenance so far. The range-meter was acting strangely at first, but a prompt software update from Vectrix California (they actually came to my workplace to do the update) solved the issue. The electronics and physical components of the Vectrix are top quality. This is in marked contrast to the cheaper Chinese electric scooters I used to ride (E-Max and others) which were constantly having problems.

The Vectrix "guinea pig" period is over -- I think this new bike has proven itself in the real world. Now they just need to drive the price down and start offering a Lithium battery pack at a reasonable price.

By the way, negotiate hard on the price! The dealers have wiggle room. 2007 Vectrix models are selling in the Bay Area now for US$9,000 and the 2008 model for about US$10,000.

Regards,

MattFish

AndY1
AndY1's picture

What is the difference between the models and how can you tell them apart?

My Vectrix should be ordered at the end of July and should arrive straight from Poland. I guess I will be receiving the 2008 model, right?

rontivo

Add me to those who would offer encouraging words for the Vectrix option. While I've had mine for only a couple of weeks now, it's performed flawlessly while driving around town. Some of my friends are also looking at alternative products, but everything they've shown me is less appealing in my mind. They're either hype or simply too cheap to work in the real world. The Vectrix has proven itself to be a street worthy machine that's available to purchase today. I haven't seen anything else that's available today that I'd spend money on.

Initially I was also concerned about the lack of a Li-Ion battery, but now that I've taken possession of the bike I think Vectrix has done exactly the right thing by using the Nickle batteries. There's already pressure for them to lower the price, and the Li-Ion option is only going to increase the price of the bike. The performance of this bike with the Nickle batteries works fabulously for commuting around town. They're known to be working on a Li-Ion option, but my recommendation to Vectrix would be to keep the Nickle batteries as a lower-priced option, as least until the cost of Li-Ion batteries comes down a bit.

I'm riding my Vectrix everyday, and loving the fact that it's been more than two weeks since I've seen a gas pump. The Vectrix works, it's fun, it's cool (my daughter and niece love it!), and with things like rebates and programs for reduced off-peak charging rates (at least here in California), I think it's actually very reasonably priced. Knowing that you're driving around on battery power is also surprising compelling.

Wolfgang

I got my Vectrix in August 2007 and have since driven approx 6500 km in all weather. I have not spent one cent on maintenance, if you do not count the cost of hauling the bike 400 km to the next service location in Bologna for the battery swap. I estimate the total cost of electricity so far at approx € 65,-.
There has never been any trouble. The only slight shock I had back in October was a sudden drop from full to empty charge indicated by the then firmware version: At first I really thought the batteries were damaged beyond repair!
This bike is perfect for my daily commuting needs and I had never previously thought that a scooter would be that fast around town.
Judging from those RAV4 EVs still driving in California, I do not worry about NiMH life at all. I hope to use the Vectrix for some 10 more years to come.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Isn't there a repair shop in Vienna? And I'm sure the Verona dealer told me, that they have a repair shop also. Verona is much closer than Bologna.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage