Anyone seen the Tango?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
deronmoped
Anyone seen the Tango?

I know it's old news, but I just read about it. Sounds like a very cool ride. Tandem, fast, quick, handles and supposed to be safe. If it lives up to half of what they say about it, it would still be one very fun ride.

Anyone know if these things are still being made, how many are on the road?

Thanks, Deron.

Alias
Re: Anyone seen the Tango?

Just curious if there is a link (website) for this product??
Thanks ~

deronmoped

I saw it in a old "Wired" magazine, but you can find it on line here.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4048/

Deron.

Alias

Okay, I just saw pictures of this tiny car. I love the pictures of it against school busses, and in between a freightliner semi and a motorcycle, nice.
I would not wanna buy this car for when it first came out for $85,000, of about the same price of a 750 series BMW.
It just doesn't make sence to me when electric vehicles start coming out and become more common,
will they be so expensive as not to be able to afford one??

reikiman
reikiman's picture

The Tango is made by Commuter Cars ...

Is this the one you mean?

There was one at last falls Stanford EV Rally..

Um, it occurs to me that there's a three wheeler called the Tango which is made in ?Argentina? ...

Edit: Yup: http://www.tangotrikes.com/

Which one did you mean???

Alias

Yup, that's the one

davew
davew's picture

Right now they are trying to use the first few cars to finance future development which means they have to charge an arm and a leg. Tesla is doing about the same thing only somewhat more successfully -- of course Tesla had a larger initial investment. If these were a real companies they could invest the tens of millions up front it would take to bring a car to market and then make up the cost out of the first run of vehicles. Right now Mistubishi is designing all-electric vehicles that should be on the market in 2010 or so. I doubt either Tesla or Tango will have large scale production by then, and they certainly won't have a decent distribution or repair network. If Mitsubishi comes anywhere close to meeting their dates Tesla and Tango will either be relegated to historical footnotes or remain very nichey. I really hope I'm wrong about this, but bringing up a car company from scratch takes either a long very time (like Honda) or massively deep pockets (like Hyundai).

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

deronmoped

I'm surprised that someone has not been able to market a EV that sells well. If I had a magic wand this is what I would do.

1) Remove all government regulations on EV's. No taxes, fees, licensing, regulations... You would think that a government that is trying to clean up the environment would want to help get people into a cleaner vehicle.

2) Pass a law that every business is to have free charging stations with spaces reserved for EV's.

3) Government installed charging stations with reserved parking spaces throughout the city.

4) Produce a simple cheap EV, 35 MPH, 20 mile range designed to be used in the city and take advantage of the charging stations and reserved parking.

This would do a few things, clean up the air in the city, get people used to the idea of owning a EV and get everyone and their mother building them.

Deron.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage