Flawed: Projected Extinction Rates

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Flawed: Projected Extinction Rates

Wildlife extinction rates 'seriously underestimated'

Endangered species may become extinct 100 times faster than previously thought, scientists warned today, in a bleak re-assessment of the threat to global biodiversity.

Writing in the journal Nature, leading ecologists claim that methods used to predict when species will die out are seriously flawed, and dramatically underestimate the speed at which some plants and animals will be wiped out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/02/climatechange.endangeredspecies

deronmoped
Re: Flawed: Projected Extinction Rates

Something that I found that was quite shocking is, they say 99.9% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction

Does that mean the Human Race has a 99.9% chance of becoming extinct too?

Deron.

deronmoped

Now that I think of it, if extinction rates are so high here that might be true throughout the Universe.

Could the Human Race actually be alien to this planet? Think about it, what would you do if you were a advanced civilization that knew extinction was very possible for you? Would it not be wise to spread your seeds throughout the Universe? That's pretty much what every organism already does on this planet. I can see us spreading our seeds throughout the Galaxy as soon as we conquer interstellar travel.

Who knows, maybe all these UFO's and people claiming to have been probed are just being looked over by our great, great, great to the power of ten to the twenty fourth grand parents :)

Deron.

deronmoped

So wouldn't you know it, I turn on "Coast to Coast" tonight and George Nori is taking incredible stories from people calling in. One of the callers talks about just what I was speculating, but of course, he has first hand knowlege of some big space ship seeding planets throughout the galaxy.

Talk about a coincidence.

Deron.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage