India other countries? could care less about GW

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
deronmoped
India other countries? could care less about GW

I just read that India is going to work on getting it's citizens out of poverty. Supposeably China is on the same track. These countries figure getting their people out of poverty/better economy is worth the rise in temperature.

Like it or not, over the next fifty years (or however long it takes to settle the argument) we are going to find out if GW really does exist.

Deron.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: India other countries? could care less about GW

If they could "care less about global warming" then why is the India government giving steep subsidies on electric vehicles?

I just found this article:
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Hero-Electric-Plans-Major-Expansion/333369/

'Hero' is a popular motorcycle brand in India and Hero Electric is a subsidiary specializing in electric two-wheelers. The article details the subsidy (15% on purchase price) offered by the government. Additionally Hero Electric's plan is to increase electric scooter production to 70,000 units per year from 20,000 units last year.

Uh... 70,000 electric scooters is a heck of a lot of vehicles if you ask me. Well, okay, there's a lotta people in India and there's a lotta two-wheelers in India. Even so, 70,000 vehicles is quite a lot.

In 2006-7 I'd found two earlier articles discussing earlier EV developments and subsidies in India

Mahindra hikes three-wheeler capacity and Ultra motors display electric vehicles, launch later this year .:. NewKerala - India's Top Online Newspaper

You're right that the industrialization of China/India/etc is gonna present a challenge because as they industrialize it's going to raise the per-capita energy use. That's going to increase their per-capita global warming influence. FWIW I discussed this in Technosanity #3: Peak Oil and there's a couple articles I found which directly discuss that issue.

Of course whatever they save in GW emissions from having these EV's on the road, will be outstripped by their increased industrialization. My point is that the subsidies indicate there is some interest by the India government in ecological issues.

deronmoped

Reikiman

That would be cool if the USA was subsidizing electric bikes, just removing the restrictions would probably be enough to get millions of them on the road.

India/China and these other countries that are increasing their energy usage do not seem to be taking GW seriously. This is a big problem for people that believe in GW. How do the proponents convince people to change, use less energy... for something that is not affecting them. And not only do people have to be convinced other countries besides India and China are not on board, supposably Russia says we are going into a cooling.

I mean not even the Guru of GW is not cutting back.

Deron.

dogman
dogman's picture

Unless I've been hallucinating the news the last 4 years, the USA cares the least about GW. All we have done for a decade is double the sise of our cars and houses. Where I live they insulate no better than they did when I framed my first house in 1980. Cheezy r-11 walls and r-15 roofs is still the standard here.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

deronmoped

Yeah, if you think about it, GW has been given a lot of press, but nothing has really been done about C02. Peoples attention span is only so long, they and the news/media are going to get tied of it and move onto something else. There is just nothing happening you can definitively point at to keep GW in the news. All you have are a bunch of Politicians and scientist telling people that years down the road there will be problems.

A lot of people can not even be convinced to save for their own retirement, let alone prepare, change or cutback their lifestyles for something that may or may not effect them fifty years down the road.

Deron.

Mik
Mik's picture

Yeah, if you think about it, GW has been given a lot of press, but nothing has really been done about C02. Peoples attention span is only so long, they and the news/media are going to get tied of it and move onto something else. There is just nothing happening you can definitively point at to keep GW in the news. All you have are a bunch of Politicians and scientist telling people that years down the road there will be problems.

A lot of people can not even be convinced to save for their own retirement, let alone prepare, change or cutback their lifestyles for something that may or may not effect them fifty years down the road.

Deron.

A lot of children cannot be convinced to keep their hands off a lolly, even if they would get 2 lollies instead later on, if they managed.... But it is a strong indicator re: overall intelligence levels or success or something.

Deferred/Delayed gratification.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage