WV or Morgantown Laws on Electric Scooters

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture
WV or Morgantown Laws on Electric Scooters

I have been pulled over twice on my Stealth 1000 scooter, and each time the cop tries to tell me I can ride it on the roads or sidewalks. Today, it was a guy driving a Durango that gets 9mpg in town and 12 on the highway. It makes me sick that my tax dollars are going towards their gas when they do nothing to try to help the problem. On top of them doing nothing to help themselves, they harass me. I want to know what I can do. The city now has no codes about electric scooters, but the cop today told me to watch because they will most likely be changing that soon. I'll get license and insurance on it if I have to, but I think that's ridiculous. Next they'll tell me I can't do that because its classed as a toy. That's what the cop called it today. A toy that goes 25mph and can more than run with traffic in this congested city. Sorry for the rant, but the cop and watching a bunch of stuff on the EV1 is really upsetting me. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

PJD
PJD's picture
Re: WV or Morgantown Laws on Electric Scooters

Did you mean the cop tries to tell you that you CANT ride it on the roads or sidewalks?

The fact of the matter is, something like a Schwinn stealth is not a legal motor vehicle - i.e with DOT approved lighting, wheels, tires and brakes. The laws are plenty inconsistent to be sure, as bicycles are legal on roads and streets, and they don't have any of the DOT required equipment either - it is all about political influence. This is really apparent in the special treatment that most cities have granted Segways, which is the result of a well organized, well funded by big-Silicon-valley corporate-lawyer campaign.

But being as there are now a lot of street-legal electric motor scooters/motorcycles/mopeds available, maybe it is better not to fight city hall on this one.

The idea of some poeple going 60 mph on those little things is crazy anyway.

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

The Stealth isn't suposed to be a legal motor vehicle, it should be a bike. It would be difficult to make it DOT, I didn't think of that. The reason I like my little electric scooter is because I paid $500 for it with a 48v 15ah Lipo battery and a 48v 100amp controller. You can't get anything "road legal" for that. Unfortunately, I know I'm not going to stop riding my scooter no matter what the laws. If they change, I'll just have to fight it. I always wear a helmet, I have reflectors and reflective tape all over the scooter, it also has two headlights and one rear red light. I need to get a bell in order to make it completely legal as a bike here in Morgantown, and I'm using a car horn for that that I'll be building tonight. I'll build a car as soon as I have the money. I make min wage and can barley afford toilet paper.

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

Alias

Tireiron55 wrote

I have been pulled over twice on my Stealth 1000 scooter-----

I am just curious if your scooter is legally registered, and or if it has plates???
This could be one of the reasons why you are constantly getting pulled over, especially if you are riding on city streets that are 35 mph even, 25 zones.

I'll get license and insurance on it if I have to, but I think that's ridiculous.

You are going to have to get that eventually (if they are street legal),
especially if you are ever involved in an accident.
So it's not ridiculous, it's the law.

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

I guess the scooters aren't as popular as I thought anywhere. It's not registered. Honestly, I'm not getting pulled over constantly. I don't hold up traffic anymore than a bike, less most of the time. If I was bothering traffic or driving like a jerk, I could see them pulling me over. The cop that pulled me over today just acted like he was going to try to keep me off the road. The scooter goes the same speed as a bike and pretty much acts like most bikes, so I think it should be classed the same and should be more embraced than despised. They are after all, more cost effective than most electric cars.

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

WV BIKER

Simply put......WV has No laws or regulations on ELECTRIC BIKES...……...just check it out online.....type in ELECTRIC BIKE LAW IN MORGANTOWN WV......simple as that...…….I am So sorry that the local police do not know the laws on electic bikes because THERE ARE NONE !!!!!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage