Vectrix Evangelism - Encounters with the Public

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
DaveD
DaveD's picture
Vectrix Evangelism - Encounters with the Public

Maybe this subject has been brought up before. My apologies if there's already a thread on it.

I met with Morrison yesterday, and he mentioned to me that people have been approaching him when he out on his Vectrix. They're wanting to know more about it, or just discovered it existed when he appeared on one.

Partly as an experiment, and also because I've been working a lot lately and needed to get out somewhere besides work or home, I ventured out today, deliberately putting me and my Vectrix into public locations. I tried to look unhurried, smiling, and approachable. Sure enough, I had three people come up to me and ask questions about my Vectrix.

First encounter was when I pulled into a restaurant parking lot. As I parked and took off my helmet, this fellow on a bicycle rode up. I'd passed by him when pulling into the lot, and the lack of ICE noise alerted him that this was not your typical scooter. It turns out that he knew about the Vectrix a bit already, and taught motorcycle safety training courses locally! He'd never seen a Vectrix up close before and we had a nice chat about it for several minutes before my stomach growled loud enough that I had to excuse myself.

Second encounter was when I'd parked near a local shopping area that has a fair amount of foot traffic. The sun was shining and the temp wasn't too hot, so lots of people were out strolling. I'd parked a bit away from the center of the action, but even then I was approached by a couple of fellows that had seen my personalized license plate (ELCTRC) and understood what it meant. They and I had a free-ranging discussion about EVs, national energy policy, internation energy consumption, etc. that went on for a half-hour or so.

My third encounter of the day was on my way home. I noticed a big Harley cruiser-style motorcycle (sorry, I don't know Harley models enough to name it) coming up behind me, and when I'd stopped for a traffic light, he pulled up right beside me and asked me if it was really an electric scooter (knew that personalized license plate would help break the ice!). I said yes indeed, and sensing that he wanted to chat about it a bit, I had him pull into a parking lot after we got through the traffic light. He'd not heard about Vectrix before seeing mine, but liked the looks of it when he spotted me up ahead of him, noticed that it was pretty maneuverable (I like plenty of lean when cornering), and was peppy on the acceleration. I told him the range (around 40 miles), but explained it worked great for my needs, and he got that it was a nice and useful machine, even given its limitations. Quite a nice person to have a 15 minute chat with. He and his wife are leaving next week to ride out to Sturgis, and I wished him a safe journey as we went our separate ways.

So, that's short summary of my one-day experiment in Vectrix evangelism. Anybody else care to share their stories about Encounters with the Public?

Regards,
Dave

duca
Re: Vectrix Evangelism - Encounters with the Public

Last friday I was driving home on the motorway as a Honda maxyscooter appeared on my left, the driver looking interested upon me and my Vectrix: we had a shouting chat from scooter to scooter at 80km/h...
He was impressed by the acceleration I showed him as he asked "and how goes that thing ??" but then I honestly yelled to him over that I couldn't drive that way till home or else I'd spend all the battery before arriving there. I could put in his mind the idea about the savings on fuel and the price range of the scooter...
Well, now you'll have a somewhat distorted idea about Italian trafic behaviour ;)

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Yeah-- after nearly six years riding various EV's (scooters, bicycles, motorcycle) I agree that whether you want to or not the act of riding an EV turns you into an evangelist. People are curious and absolutely will come and talk with you to find out more. I regularly get questions even while driving (usually though while stopped at stoplights)

A couple days ago I saw that a newspaper on Cape Cod is doing an extensive review series on the Vectrix. I summarized it on 7gen.com and there's a link to the original article. Their first installment in the series goes on at length about this accidental evangelism role.

http://www.7gen.com/article-summary/vectrix/24650-electric-scooter-offers-way-beat-gas-pump-blues
http://www.capecodchronicle.com/features/feature_071008.htm

Morrison

I am leaving now for the opening of a "Green Garage" in downtown Seattle near the Space Needle. The mayor and many politicians and news reporters will be there. So the Vectrix will be getting some coverage.

The Seattle EV Association was invited to bring some EV cars. We are pushing the politicians for more EV charging locations in Seattle to pprepare the way for plug-in hybrids and pure EVs.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I opted for the WHITE Vectrix, and I've discovered that many drivers when they see me behind mistake it for a police bike (even though there are no flourescent panels to indicate this - they see the LED and headlamp and assume I'm on 'business' therefore I have to be wary of them getting out of my way without signalling. Now that I'm used to it... it's very useful at times!

- Raymond

AndY1
AndY1's picture

If there wasn't a bright red one, I'd go for the white one too. It's very nice looking and my 2nd thought was also... police colors :D

knabo
knabo's picture

I opted for the WHITE Vectrix, and I've discovered that many drivers when they see me behind mistake it for a police bike (even though there are no flourescent panels to indicate this - they see the LED and headlamp and assume I'm on 'business' therefore I have to be wary of them getting out of my way without signalling. Now that I'm used to it... it's very useful at times!

This is probably why white is not available in the US. You know I would be out there on my Vectrix with a white skullcap helmet and mirrored sunglasses. I might have even gotten a battery powered flashing light just to get people out of my way.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

DaveD
DaveD's picture

How did the Green Garage event go, Morrison? Any news videos of the mayor or other politico's riding your Vectrix around? Are there many electrical outlets in the garage, of different amperage capacities (15A, 30A, 50A)?

Morrison

How did the Green Garage event go, Morrison? Any news videos of the mayor or other politico's riding your Vectrix around? Are there many electrical outlets in the garage, of different amperage capacities (15A, 30A, 50A)?

It was a fairly tame event. Just a nice garage next to the Seattle Center. There are many green elements to the construction. Passive lighting, efficient ventilation, green living roof that is visible from the top of the Space Needle, retains water on the roof to prevent run-off. The Bill Gates Foundation paid for part of the "green" upgrades.

There are oulets with 20 amp limits all over. I found two on every level. With a 20 ft ext cord there are dozens of parking spaces within range of an outlet. But none are marked specifically for EV charging. If 2 Vectrix scooters were plugged into the same outlet, it would trip the circuit.

The Seattle EV Assoc brought up this issue and the director of Seattle Center realized the mistake. So he immediately got one of his supervisors over to discuss what needs to happen to fix this. They have a contact with Sound Transit and are going to do it the same way that the Park & Ride lots do it.

All of the electricity outlets are in good locations for EV charging. So it will work now. They will add the signs later.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

It was very intresting to experience the way people wonder what you are riding.Here in Barcelona , Spain , we are a city of millions of scooters and bikes, i suppose that the weather helps. The thing is i am not yet a Vectrix owner, although i have decided to buy one. But i am waiting for the 2009 model.
Well, i had to give out information of all types to people who kept on asking at traffic lights, when i myself was trying out the Vectrix for nearly a whole day (this was to work out the range, i managed 61Km).
I dont know what its going to be like when i get mine!! if in a day i was helping Vectrix sell half a dozen of bikes. Luckily for Vectrix i am very well informed about the bike and have been following all about it , for a while.
i also keep in mind many of the things i read here.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Maybe, but I've seen other white bikes in Daytona, so I'm sure that wasn;t the reason (undue influence). Probably US Sales thought it didn't look cool enough. Certain ly here in Scotland, I know of three white ones, mine and two others - operated by Strathclyde Police and based at Glasgow Airport .

- Raymond

lone_rider
lone_rider's picture

Now I know iam not riding a Vectrix , but I do ride my EVT168. In the last 3 days I have had 2 people stop me at lights asking what makes it go. One said I must be the smartist person on the road. THEN there was this other guy yesterday that was so upset I was going 30mph in a 35mph zone that he almost knocked me over while flipping me the bird! To my delight he was stopped at the next red light, and I went upto his open drivers side window. I asked him what the BEEP he was playing at and that I at least was making an effort to help the planet with my ZEV. It turned out he was a mute and could only sit there flipping me off and making strange sounds at me.

So I have had both ends of the stick as of late.

XM-3000 BB Batteries using 5 vector smart chargers in bike
EVT 168 4 UB12500 batteries using 4 vector smart chargers

retrodog
retrodog's picture

Well I stopped by the local Barnes & Noble (however the heck you spell it) and Starbucks yesterday. They are joined in one building with inside doors and separate outside doors for each. Upon riding by the Starbucks' entrance, I heard a woman (sitting out front) say, "It's electric. How cool is that." Then I parked right there in front, as they have special motorcycle parking, and went into the bookstore. I couldn't find what I was looking for so I left. As I was just putting my helmet on, a guy came up to start asking me questions about the bike. They were the same old basics about range, speed, cost, etc. We spent about 10 minutes standing there talking about it. He stated twice, "I didn't even know that these things existed." I just smiled each time and replied, "Well, they do." and looked at my bike. At one point I thought he got a phone call cause he pulled out his cell phone and was looking at. I started to climb on the bike and leave as I thought he got side-tracked. But then I realized that he was taking a picture of it... so I got back off of it and let him snap a few photos.

And it was all because I remembered this thread and the fact that I am now the ambassador for the technology and company. :D

Hands0n

Hmm, where to begin :D There is lots to choose from.

I only use my Vectrix to commute at the moment - it rarely goes out weekends, those are saved for my Honda Fireblade or X11 ... Woo!

It is not unusual to have other scooters "give it a go" from the lights, I try to resist, at my age I should know better, but I fail miserably quite often and show them the rear of the Vectrix soon enough. At the next set of lights those feeling brave enough tend to roll up, lean across and shout "What is that thing?". Traffic light conversations are usually quite abridged so I have to get out the salient points as quick as I can - 62mph top speed, approx 45 mile range as I ride it, no road tax, less than a penny a mile to run it etc...

Cyclists are a funny lot - they hate everyone - but I've even had some really nice compliments from cyclists about the Vectrix whereas on any of my petrol-burners I get the usual abuse. I think cyclists simply "get it" but their communication skills are often lacking and rooted in a bunker mentality, hence the universal hatred.

Car drivers could not give a toss - they feel rather superior in their tin boxes. The power of the Vectrix often shows them the error of their prejudices. Taxi drivers are usually indifferent, but even they ask about the Vectrix "Go on mate, that ain't 'lectrik is it?" or "You're 'avin a larf, did you make that yourself?".

I'll chat with anyone about the Vectrix if they'll give me the opportunity or the time. People at work are fascinated by it and still ask how its all going. Local kids on their bikes think its great, they all want one! I ask why not a regular scooter, and they usually answer that the notion of an electric scooter is beyond neat! They love it!

Vectrix did one thing completely right - they designed it to look like almost any other maxi scooter. That single thing has given them the appreciation of the viewing public. It is a stunner to look at, incredible to ride, and inspires the evangelist in all of us :)

pyjohnson

Today I was on a run in to Edinburgh on my Vectrix and I got a nod from a Police motorcylist, correction it was the Police Vectrix, strange seeing another Vectrix on the road it was so quiet. Sounds daft but I've never heard one go past before because I'm the one going past.

Regards,
Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------
Central Scotland

Wotnopetrol

I had one last night, a guy driving a Ford Capri.

I could see out of the corner of my eye that he was looking at the huge ELECTRIC sticker on the tail and laughing with his friend about it.

The lights turned to green....and despite my age I gunned it.

He gave it everything his 1600 motor could deliver and up to about 25mph he kept up....then the supreme Vectrix exponential power curve came on tap and, sounding like some SciFi vehicle propelled by an alien power supply it just surged effortlessly away.

At the next set of traffic lights, even though there was an empty lane either side of me, he pulled up behind me. Just in case I sniggered at him for trying so hard and failing so miserably to an.......electric vehicle?

Why do people think electric is slow? Look at the Eurostar, that doesn't hang about. I usually point people to YouTube to see the KillaCycle or the electric Ariel Atom in action.

My brother inlaw is a submarine propulsion engineer. when I told him about the "challenges" and later, surprise I get on nearly a daily basis on my commute he merely said. "Well my electric motors push a few thousand tonnes of steel through the water pretty well,'nuff sed!!

Simon

Hands0n

Yes, that is quite a funny story really. What people seem to forget is that the electric motor is a very mature piece of technology, and more advanced generally than the ICE. It is used in applications all over the world, and it is very unlikely that you could go a single day and not encounter at least one electric motor. Trains and Submarines are two examples of the immence power that these motors can generate.

It is just that for road use we are not yet used to seeing EVs doing much better than the olden day milk float and the modern Gee Whizz, both of which are feeble in comparison. We have not seen electric motors on the road since the London trolley busses, although they are still in widespread use in Europe (Zurich springs to mind).

The Vectrix is a complete curve ball in that respect - no one expects the scooter to perform quite like it does. But they'll get used to it in a few years time when the major manufacturers products come on stream. Meanwhile, we get to play all by ourselves :)

Wotnopetrol

Meanwhile, we get to play all by ourselves :)

Ohhhhhh YESSSSSSSSSS!!! I'm loving this period while they are new, and underestimated!!!!

Simon.

Simon

retrodog
retrodog's picture

Yes, that is quite a funny story really. What people seem to forget is that the electric motor is a very mature piece of technology, and more advanced generally than the ICE. It is used in applications all over the world, and it is very unlikely that you could go a single day and not encounter at least one electric motor. Trains and Submarines are two examples of the immence power that these motors can generate.

It is just that for road use we are not yet used to seeing EVs doing much better than the olden day milk float and the modern Gee Whizz, both of which are feeble in comparison. We have not seen electric motors on the road since the London trolley busses, although they are still in widespread use in Europe (Zurich springs to mind).

The Vectrix is a complete curve ball in that respect - no one expects the scooter to perform quite like it does. But they'll get used to it in a few years time when the major manufacturers products come on stream. Meanwhile, we get to play all by ourselves :)

I would speculate that the biggest contributor to the "lack of performance" perception/expectation would be the hybrid car. Other electric powered vehicles they have exposure to are things like golf carts, cheap scooters, go-peds, etc.

The general public believes that they've indeed had exposure to the electric motor and EVs. This is false, of course, but that's still what they believe so they have the expectation that any electric motor powered vehicle is going to be weak. I got a chance to demonstrate the power to a friend side-by-side while he was on his Burgmann 400. He was very impressed with the Vectrix's ability to accelerate 30-50mph in traffic. He was actually watching me as I rolled the throttle back. The timely response to the throttle motion was what really got him. He said later, "That thing almost took off before you throttled it. Geez, that's some fast response!".

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage