Drill Motor: An Option?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture
Drill Motor: An Option?

I've been thinking that a battery powered drill motor, like a Dewalt, or other, might be a good option to connect to a chain-driven system. They have a speed controller, seem to be geared properly for direct drive (with a freewheel), and are relatively cheap. The only possible downside I can think of is that they may not be rated for continuous duty... What do you think?

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Drill Motor: An Option?

Someone actually took this idea to a small production run, actually. It was a tiny bike that could be chucked to a drill. It only went like 12mph, but it worked.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

I'm guessing the "continuous duty" issue is going to be a show-stopper. I'd also be concerned with the bearings. Drill motors are not designed for side-load cased by a chain drive.

Harlow

spinningmagnets

Don't even waste even one dollar on a drill motor. Even if its free, you will regret the time you wasted.

Go to a pawn shop (I'm not joking) and get a 24-volt cordless circular saw. (settle for 18V if you have to). When the batteries no longer hold a charge, its almost as cheap to buy a whole new set with a new saw, two new batteries, and a new charger, as it would be to get just two new batteries.

The old saws are often just thrown away. Put a lever in front of the stock trigger with a spring to hold it open. Put a cable from a bicycle brake onto the trigger-lever tip. The hand end of the cable can be actuated by a brake lever or twist grip.

The saw (compared to a drill) will have much beefier bearings, an integral gear-down to improve torque, air cooling, and battery-draw efficiency (motors provide better power efficiency and cooling at higher RPM's, motor fans are always direct shaft drive). Higher motor RPM's compared to power shaft RPM's are good.

When you're done, post pics and specs for the benefit of next guy

dogman
dogman's picture

Very true, I've melted down a whole bunch of drills, but only a few saws. The saw will also melt, but much slower, if you ride short distances it should work fine.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot