New to Forum, In Market for Electric Scooter

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ebscootv
New to Forum, In Market for Electric Scooter

Hello everyone. What a great forum this is for information. I am overwhelmed with the knowledge. I am in the market for an electric scooter to be used for commuting and small errands. Live in mountains of Colorado and have been considering the Zapino. It seems to be the most powerful for the money and a decent range. Does anyone have suggestions on others I should be considering? And where would be the best place to find one? Thanks.

astar
Re: New to Forum, In Market for Electric Scooter

There's a Zapino dealer in Longmont, CO. You should be able to test drive one there. I think the Zapino would be a good choice if it meets your performance needs. See post under "Dealer Deals" on this site where he offers a discount to V members. The XM-3000 is similar performance and a little cheaper; it's a new model, so keep on top of the reviews on this site. I would stay away from EVTA at this point.

If the Zapino is underpowered for you, I would wait to see what the reviews are for the XM-3500; the first bikes will be delivered shortly. Or go Vectrix if it's in your budget. A wild card is the Volta, which is based in Boulder, CO, but right now it's vaporware; it's supposed to be a product soon.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

ebscootv

Thanks for the response. Do the XM bikes have a good track record? And i would certainly consider the 3500 as I would like a little more power for the hills. The Vectrix is definitely out of the budget range.

Any thoughts on altitude affecting these scooters?

dogman
dogman's picture

Altitude won't affect an EV at all, but they do lose a lot of range if hills are steep.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

andrew
andrew's picture

ebscootv, I think it depends a lot on your needs. How fast, and how far do you need to go? Do you have or are you willing to learn some skills and are you willing to spend a lot of time fixing things?

I would consider the Oxygen Lepton if it is fast enough (~28 mph top speed). This seems to be the best quality small road scooter on the market. Another fair option is the EVT-168 or 4000e made by EVT Taiwan (NOT to be confused with anything made by EVTA or EVT America!!!).

I'm not impressed with what I've been reading about the Zapino, or any of the x-treme scooters. Now the road scooters sold by x-treme appear to be manufactured by erider, and the Zapino appears to be manufactured by e-fun. Both are based in China. I would stay away, unless I was expecting to do a considerably amount of work to keep the scooter running.

An exception is if you have full local dealer support with at least 6 month warranty. Then, I would say go for whatever scooter is offered by the dealer.

You might also consider an ego. It's not going to offer the carrying capacity, or speed, but it's a good bet in terms of quality.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I can offer extended warranties on most X-Treme items.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

vinnie

I think you have just heard all the reasonable options in short form.

Arctic Fox and jdh2550_1 on this forum are both very good options for X-Treme products.

I am doing some local repping on the side for the dealer in Longmont. It is called Small Planet Earth...check them out online here. The shop does warranty the scooters and offers support as needed as well so you are not alone in your Chinese electric scooter adventures.

The Zapino is in stock there. Mention the forum for a 10% discount...and feel free to Private Message me to discuss further. I just completed a special order with Small Planet Earth on what appears to be Mountain Chen's predecessor to the xm-3500 which you are welcomed to check out and consider as well.

Also, where exactly in the mountains are you? Might give us a better idea of how much climbing ability you need.

Vinnie
Broomfield, CO

ebscootv

The commute would be around 13 miles with mostly flat except about 100 yards of 15% grade hill. One person. Not so concerned about speed but need the power for the hills and range for the commute. Certainly willing to learn to fix but would prefer not to have to be working on the bike. I will check out the other scooters recommended.

Thanks for the great responses. Much appreciated.

ebscootv

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Oxygen Lepton?

queensland
queensland's picture

I just got mine from Thunderstruck Motors in CA. At the time they had 3 left.

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

MXC2000

There is one listed on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270256743939

reasonable price !, lot of hits,be interesting to see what will it go for

MXC2000

May I ask what did it cost you ? which battery ? , what about any shipping cost or did you pick it up ?

queensland
queensland's picture

I paid Thunderstruck $2000 for mine. It has new Interstate SLA batteries which have been fine during the summer. As it gets cooler I know they will not have as much power so I've ordered a LiFePO4 pack for it. I am in SE Alaska so it had to be shipped to me via truck and marine barge. The truck leg from Santa Rosa CA to Seattle cost about $320.

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage