BMS for Thundersky 60ah

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wookie
Wookie's picture
BMS for Thundersky 60ah

I just put togeather my first ev. A 1990 Kawasaki Ninja with a 60v Lithium pak. These batteries were very expensive so I don't wan't to loose any. I am told they are great batteries if they are properly balanced, charged and discharged. I am having dificulty getting them properly balanced and it looks like I may have to break down and buy a BMS. Can anyone tell me where to buy a reliable solution or how A can properly ballance some other way? Thanks.

vbera
Re: BMS for Thundersky 60ah

It is my understanding that most Li-ON battery packs REQUIRE a BMS and that THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED in the original battery sale!!

Unless a particular Li-ON battery manufacture GUARANTEE's that their packs DO NOT require (for safty and longevity reasons) a BMS, then I will presume that ONE should have been included!!

Vincent
-----------------------

antiscab

gday wookie,

the bms i use for my thundersky batteries can be bought from here:
www.evpower.com.au
and i think you can also buy a bms from:
www.bev.com.au

there are other bms around aswell, these are just the two that come to mind.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

vbera

Regretfully, the USA and Canadian market, IS NOT yet up to speed on Li-ON (Phospate) batteries!!, as primarily ONLY very large Car manf. or Conversion companies have easy access to these batteries, and the BMS systems.

Virtually every USA co. that I've seen, HAS NOT (todate) shown comparable "ready, off the shelf" LI-ON batteries that will "drop fit" into existing SLA battery (early installation) applications!

Vincent
==========

PJD
PJD's picture

Virtually every USA co. that I've seen, HAS NOT (todate) shown comparable "ready, off the shelf" LI-ON batteries that will "drop fit" into existing SLA battery (early installation) applications!

Actually. valence technologies makes 12-volt LiFePO4 batteries in a few standard SLA battery sizes. It also has a BMS which tends to have a lot more features than an ordinary homebuilder needs.

They are expensive - about $650-$700 each.

An outfit called "Runabout cycles" (runaboutcycles.com) sells them.

A couple kinds of BMS's in kit form are being developed in the endless sphere forum. Note that in the case of 16-cell BMS's, multiple 16-cell modules can be used.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

But you are right, aside from the Chinese, manufacturers are making a very deliberate effort to keep large-size LiFePO4 technology out of the hands of homebuilders or anyone smaller than General Motors. There is also an outfit called Phostech, that may soon, through legal maneuvers, hold a broad monopolizing patent on any and all forms of LiFePO4 cells.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage