How low should you run SLA batteries until?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
nasukaren
nasukaren's picture
How low should you run SLA batteries until?

My little mo-ped conversion doesn't have a battery gauge yet -- although I do have a Watts Up.

I'm wondering how low / empty I should run my SLAs until. I'm running on a two battery system, so it's nominally 24 volts.

I thought it was OK to run it down to 21 volts (under load), but reading through some of the pages on Battery University, they made it seem like anything under 12 volts per battery was over discharging. But if I quit when the battery dipped below 24 volts, I'd hardly get off the ground.....

So how low do you guys run your SLAs down to?

Karen

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: How low should you run SLA batteries until?

I run them into the ground somewhere around 10.5V/batt or even a little lower. It's better to not go below 10.75-11V, but SLA sucks so I don't care.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

antiscab

since you have a wattsup meter, your are better off measuring the AH taken from the pack rather than the voltage for determining state of charge.

just make sure the AH you pull from the pack between charges is 70-80% or less of the rated AH capacity at 1C.
The voltage you can pull SLA down too depends upon battery, rate of discharge and temperature.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

nasukaren
nasukaren's picture

Thanks for the tips and comments! I've been pulling it down to 21V (10.5V per battery) which amounted to around 4.4 Ah - 5.0 Ah of a 7.0Ah battery. So I guess I'm in the right ballpark according to Matt!

Karen

Working on a Piaggio Boxer (mo-ped) EV conversion: http://gpsy.com/ev

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture

lead acid batteries are happier & will cycle longer if they don't drop below 50% of capacity.. that's amp hours.. hard to do on a small scooter. I know i ran mine down to barely crawling several times. But it is preferred to keep the batteries full.. have a place to recharge on your rides.. do shorter runs.. get a bigger scooter!

I eventually overvolted, & that gives me ~ 7-8 miles of distance, but i usually keep it under 6. My batteries seem to be fresher & holding charge better, & i've been bank charging them, too.

Continually draining the batteries will definitely shorten their useful life.

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

nasukaren
nasukaren's picture

Only 50% of capacity, but but but..... that's only 3.5 Ah ..... or like 0.08 kWh..........

So I decided to cannibalize the batteries off the mobility scooter I had bought dirt cheap a while ago. I just opened up the suckers and they're 31 Ah each! They also weigh a ton each, so I imagine that my scoot will go an amazing 5 miles per hour with them weighing it down.

Karen

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Uh huh... yup.. unfortunately that's the way things are and that's why we're so excited by lithium-ion batteries. The power to weight and power to size ratio is much better. And they can usually be discharged more deeply without harm.

nasukaren
nasukaren's picture

So I cannibalized my mobility scooter and put its 2 x 31Ah (30 pounds x 2) batteries onto my little moped and ran it around the block. I darn near burnt out my centrifugal clutch and my motor doing it.

I need better weight / performance! I think I need to start buying lottery tix so I can afford a LiPo system.

dogman
dogman's picture

A 24v 20 ah Ping Lifepo4 battery should be well under $500.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

eRick

Double post.

Sorry

eRick

As someone who doesn't have a watt meter or Cycle Analyst yet,what is a safe level
to drain my 48v battery packs too voltage wise.
I have an 11 km ride to work and am going to check and see what the pack is before I leave and when I get to work.I'm just wanting to make sure I don't drain them too low.
The meter on my Kaishan K500WS really doesn't help me.

Thanks

eRick

sparc5
sparc5's picture

cyclelife2.gif
I don't have information on GreenSavers, but this looks typical of all the deep cycle lead acid battery tests I've seen. The X-Axis is percent depth of discharge, the Y-Axis is cycle life.

Here is what the website I got this graph from says:

Battery life is directly related to how deep the battery is cycled each time. If a battery is discharged to 50% every day, it will last about twice as long as if it is cycled to 80% DOD. If cycled only 10% DOD, it will last about 5 times as long as one cycled to 50%. Obviously, there are some practical limitations on this - you don't usually want to have a 5 ton pile of batteries sitting there just to reduce the DOD. The most practical number to use is 50% DOD on a regular basis. This does NOT mean you cannot go to 80% once in a while. It's just that when designing a system when you have some idea of the loads, you should figure on an average DOD of around 50% for the best storage vs cost factor. Also, there is an upper limit - a battery that is continually cycled 5% or less will usually not last as long as one cycled down 10%. This happens because at very shallow cycles, the Lead Dioxide tends to build up in clumps on the the positive plates rather in an even film. The graph above shows how lifespan is affected by depth of discharge. The chart is for a Concorde Lifeline battery, but all lead-acid batteries will be similar in the shape of the curve, although the number of cycles will vary.

Source: Windsun.com

I found another link to some very interesting experiments people are doing on reviving Flooded Lead Acid Batteries with home made electrolyte with good results.

I'm more interested in building a zinc nickel battery. Is there some reason home made batteries are only made from lemon?

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

dogman
dogman's picture

just ride the bike till the batterys are close to completely discharged. Then back off on the distance till you are in the happy zone. Pay attention to how the bike runs as the pack discharges and you will be able to tell by how the bike rides how you are doing. So if you can go 20 mph at the start, and most of the middle of the ride at 15, then when you can only go 10 it's past time you stopped. The middle part of the ride will have a small, but noticalble voltage sag, but when it really sags, its past time to stop. Very soon you will get a feel for it, and know what to do without needing to check voltage. I think 70- 80% discharge is good enough for battery life, unless you are into setting a record for it.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging