Hub Motor, s180 update

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture
Hub Motor, s180 update

I've finished my project with the s180 and the wheelchair motor. Well, at least really close. I got it together but I didn't have enough reinforcement to the motor and rear wheel, so it kind of bent and now I have to fix that. But when it worked, wow. One snap of the throttle and it was out from underneath me. I've decided to give it to my 140lbs brother as a wedding present. I weigh about 210, and it never slows down with me. Yippy

My new project is awaiting me in my play room. I have my first Stealth sitting in there useless because I blew up the motor. My buddy use to have a couple of e-bikes with hub motors on them. One of them was a rear mount that ran on 72v. It was the perfect size to put a scooter tire on without the spokes, but he returned it because it crapped itself. I keep reading that people can build these hub motors for speed or torque. I would like to have one set up for pure speed, so it would even itself out with the smaller wheel. A 72v 7000w brushless motor on the Stealth would be awesome. All I need is the money for the motor/controller and maybe some lipo to go with it. I have the money, but it's supposed to be saved for my Metro. Long live the xfi.

Any one have any advice for me at this point. I'm really excited. I'll try to get video of the S180 up as soon as I can.

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture
Re: Hub Motor, s180 update

I keep searching for hub motors. I'd like something I can run 72v on. 2 24v 20ah lipo backs. That would be awesome on the Stealth.

The s180 is really annoying me. All I have to weld is a mig without gas, so it's really sloppy. The welds keep breaking. I finally got the frame strait enough and supported, it's just the mount point for the motor itself. It's only held by one side, so it's got to be welded really well. I'll just do it again, and again. I wish I had a tig. Even a stick would be better. I love my old stick welder. I don't have it anymore. I'm about to sell this mig and buy a stick welder again.

EDIT: Anyone have an idea were I can get a nice hub motor that'll fit a 12.5 inch tire for cheap? I need the motor and controller and throttle. Thanks

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

gtco3dfever

Hey Tireiron55,

The only hub motors I can find in this size are actually whole assemblies so it's pretty expensive. The controller is not included but the motor and wheel is one assembly.

I did a post here but no one replied so I guess it's still pretty new.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Engines-motors/auction-166460889.htm

That particular auction is over plus it was in New Zealand so not much of help but I figure might be good for informational purposes.

I think max wattage is 500 each. Looks like it has provisions to mount to both the front and the rear so 1 kilowatt total. As if one's not expensive enough, I think 2 controllers are also needed lol.

12_inch_hub_motor_0.jpg

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

My buddy had a Crystalyte hub motor rated at 7000w. It was on a 26inch wheel, but the diamiter of the motor itself was almost perfect for a 12.5 inch tire. He had it running at 72v and it would go somewhere around 50mph. I figure if I call them up or email them, I can get a custom geared motor to get me to the same speed. That's my goal, 50mph.

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

Yippy. I found a brushless 3500w 12.5inch hub motor. I'm excited, I just have to scrape the money together to get it. This should be a nice little upgrade from the 1000w brushed motor.

PDenbigh

3500W!? Wow!

Schwinn/Currie S350

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage