75mph+ EVC Volta anticipation thread

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
PetroZero
PetroZero's picture
75mph+ EVC Volta anticipation thread

I'm a newbie to the forum, so I hope this is not presumptuous of me, but I didn't see a dedicated thread to the upcoming EVC Volta 75mph electric maxi scooter, so I thought I'd start one. The bike is said to be capable of multiple configurations, the least expensive of which gets it a 75mph top speed. Quite impressive though, is that in its premium configuration, the top speed is listed as 90-120mph! They also are American made (hence the Vectrix like pricing I suppose) and come with a 3 year warranty. Hopefully, like Vectrix, the price will come down substantially to allow these bikes to have a chance to succeed (either that, or the Chinese bikes will continue to improve in quality speed and range and force the American made bikes to compete on price).

EVWorld Story on Volta with a video

Volta PDF Brochure (PDF)

Here are the specs for the base model...

Wheelbase: 65"
Weight: 390lb
Front Tire: 120/70 R15
Rear Tire: 160/70 R15
Power: 8KW / 11.1 HP
Torque (Motor Shaft): 17NM / 12.5 Ft Lb
Torque (Rear Wheel): 47.6NM / 35 Ft Lb
Efficiency: 92.3%
Maximum Speed: 70-85 MPH
0-50 MPH: 5.5 & 5.1 Seconds
Range: 75 Miles (@40-45MPH on Level Terrain)
Gearing/Speed Chart
Metro City Cruiser MSRP: starting at $7995 Metro City Cruiser Brochure
Metro City Sportster MSRP: starting at $8,550 Metro City Sportster Brochure

All Volta Step Thru Electric Motorcycles
Brakes: Regenerative Electronic Brakes, Dual Disk, ABS
Motor: Synchronous AC Disk Permanent Magnet - Sealed IP 54 Protection
Gearing: Forward & Reverse standard
Gear Ratios: 2.11 & 4.5
Emissions: NONE
Seating Capacity: 2 Passengers
Range: 75 Miles (approximate based on 40-45MPH on flat terrain)
Warranty: 3 Years

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: 75mph+ EVC Volta anticipation thread

We add forums on an as-needed basis. So far the Volta and EVC has not been available for sale.. has this changed?

sparc5
sparc5's picture

On the video they say first quarter of next year it will be for sale. $8000 for the base model.

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

ratatouille

There's already a post about Volta in the Vectrix section.

It's a chinese gas scooter based model.

Hope they changed the seat because the original is like a piece of wood. (the gas version was at the Paris 2007 motorbike show)

Jean-François

PetroZero
PetroZero's picture

We add forums on an as-needed basis. So far the Volta and EVC has not been available for sale.. has this changed?

~ scott
PetroZero.org
Not to my knowledge. I agree a forum is not needed until the bike gets into people's hands. Maybe a single thread can hold until then.

~ scott
My Blog: <a href="http://www.petrozero.org">PetroZero.org</a>
My Bike: 2007 Lashout Electric Scooter (12mph/12miles)
Considering: xm-3500Li

PetroZero
PetroZero's picture

On the video they say first quarter of next year it will be for sale. $8000 for the base model.

I heard that too, but the article is dated November 2007, which would tend to indicate they were apparently talking about Q1 2008. I checked the terms of service on the website and it looks like they are now shooting for Q3 2008...

Though we will make every effort to begin shipping the production version of the Electric Vehicle Company, LLC Electric Motorcycle in Q3 2008, we reserve the right to change all aspects of the bike specification and features, including cost, but will refund any monies paid in deposit if any of the terms or specifics are not acceptable.

~ scott
My Blog: <a href="http://www.petrozero.org">PetroZero.org</a>
My Bike: 2007 Lashout Electric Scooter (12mph/12miles)
Considering: xm-3500Li

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Just got off the phone with someone at EVC - he confirmed that the anticipated sales date is Q2 2009. He told me that they have received 50-60 dealer applications in California, but they will limit their dealerships to the performance motorcycle shops; they won't be licensing scooter shops to sell the Volta.
Should I buy the Vectrix now... or wait for the Volta... :-)

Mountain chen

No any information on Battery system,this is most of all.

Efficiency 92% before tranmission or after tranmission ?

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Should I buy the Vectrix now... or wait for the Volta...

When do you need it..? You can buy a Vectrix now but the looooong wait for the Vectrix to begin deliveries (they were in development for 10+ years) indicates a possible answer. The Volta was originally promised for this year IIRC and now it's next year. There could be very good excuses next year that they aren't ready and you don't have an assurance they will be ready next year, but you do have an assurance the Vectrix can be bought today and there's several Vectrix owners on this site reporting good results.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I decided to go ahead and buy the Vectrix... if the Volta does become available I may upgrade later, BUT, the salesman at the BMW dealer in San Rafael, CA (Garik) told me that Vectrix is actively working to incorporate lithium-ion batteries - "soon" - and they will offer a discounted price to swap out the nickel-metal hydride batteries (for the current owners).
I haven't confirmed this, but it's potentially good news - the performance would probably be comparable to the Volta if Vectrix uses the lithium-ion batteries.

gwynnus

You may want to read this before waxing lyrical about an unknown Chinese product - at this point in time I'd rather buy American or EU for quality control assurance...

http://ifitsgotanengine.com/2008/06/05/deceiving-potential-customers/

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Is the EVC imported from China? I didn't see this on their website - I was under the impression that it was an American company. I just sent an email asking this question - I'll post the answer here as soon as I receive it.

gwynnus

I think I read somewhere in here that it is a Chinese company - from the price and the lack of brand name I assume that it is. And the lack of details about where or who the manufaturer is does seem a bit odd.
Vectrix were very open about their US and EU plants (and even now that they are opening a plant in China) and the new E-Max flaunts its "designed in Italy - German engineering" but still gives details about its assembly plant in China.
In the case of EVC there is completely nothing which led me to reach the conclusion that this is one of the no-name brands that may appear in different countries with different names... just like the FalconEV scooters in the US can be found here with the names of their importers.
I don't think its a case of snobbery when people claim that Chinese products in gerneral are still a far way off from being satisfactory in terms of reliability and even in terms of the performance/range figures that they claim. As yet they are not answerable to anyone.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Is the EVC imported from China? I didn't see this on their website - I was under the impression that it was an American company. I just sent an email asking this question - I'll post the answer here as soon as I receive it.

I think the "glider" (the basic bike without any engine or transmission components) is a Chinese manufactured bike. The engineering to turn this "glider" into an electric motorcycle is done in the US by an American company.

When production starts then I've no idea whether "gliders" are imported and then assembled with electric components in the US or whether the completed electric motorcycle is assembled in China (or elsewhere).

There are pros and cons to both approaches.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

pointman39
pointman39's picture

I am happy to see EVC USA making this type of motorcycle, and 100% Electric is ideal.

Rumors has it that they are introducing a new line for 2009, and it's even better than what they initially drafted for a would-be release in 2008, and instead saved the best for 2009. Why not release the best you can, and for this reason EVC delayed its release in 2008.

Hey, the best is always worth waiting for!

stevyg13
Re: 75mph+ EVC Volta anticipation thread This company has Scamme

I believe this company is a Scam. I have been waiting since November to get my $500 deposit back. They sent me a check in Dec AND IT BOUNCED!!

pchilds
pchilds's picture
Re: 75mph+ EVC Volta anticipation thread This company has ...

That makes EVTA almost look good. :jawdrop:

Philip

Philip
2011 Nissan Leaf SL

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

That makes EVTA almost look good. :jawdrop:

Philip

ROTFL! :lol:

Nice one Philip - if you can't laugh... right?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

juhcon

Hello,
I'm Frederik from Germany. I just read through the EVC Volta antizipation thread that opened up half a year ago. I recently called EVC in order to get some information about dealership in Europe. The man on the phone didn't really seem very talkative (maybe I kicked him out of bed...), but he said that there would be a Europen distibuter soon and the volta would be available to me in around 90-100 days. What do you think and maybe know about all this? There doesn't seem that much going on on their website, no statements,no news, no release dates as far as I know and I'm slowly wondering if they will really manage to produce anything someday soon. Furthermore I couldn't read anything about the Volta G/T they praised to highly in older forums - it should actually be faster than the X21 ! Well any information or opinion you might have would be highly appreciated...the EVC Volta seems to be top of the line regarding price/speed and technology, but if it stays a fantasy of mind, one should probably go for the GPR-S or the Vectrix, which are not that cool, but ready to be send at once.

Best regards,

Frederik Schulz

rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture

Yeah, I've attempted contact a number of times and never hear back at all.
Wait and see the real product before getting excited.
I'm not even from Missouri, but....Show Me!

kb3jko

The Vectrix is a real product. If EVC actually sets up a dealer network and starts distributing product, I'll be sure to go check it out. But until then, I'll keep riding my Vectrix!

pointman39
pointman39's picture

Hey "stevyg13" stop whining about your check bouncing, I read your same comment elsewhere on the web! We all know you work for Vectrix!

Speaking of Vectrix, those of you who still wish to ride a Vectrix and think its cool to have one, I am happy for you, but Vectrix is only good because no one else has entered the market yet, which I will hope for the best from those guys at EVC! Basically, I have had direct experience with Vectrix, owned one for 6 months and gave it back, major software issues, staff was a collection of old sailors who didn’t have a clue in this 2 wheel world, now Vectrix has fired just about everyone, including their founder! To make matters worse, they have some lame duck running their sales in the U.S. by the name of Victor Pritzker, who I met recently at a show; boy, is this Victor a real piece of work, for the worse, if he wasn't spitting on me as he spoke, then he wouldn't shut up, with his long winded stupid stories of his would-be wonder years! Is this the best representation Vectrix can get?

Hey "Frederik Schulz" maybe next time you should get the person you woke up at EVC some coffee prior to calling, and tell him to get back and those EVC bikes out to market, because if Vectrix is the best the market can produce, wow we are in BIG trouble!

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Yeah, I know that I shouldn't "feed the trolls" - but this has got to be the DUMBEST quote I have ever seen:

Hey "stevyg13" stop whining about your check bouncing

What exactly would you like him to do? Happily pay the $25 (or whatever) bank charges and kiss his original deposit goodbye? Maybe he should see it all as a charitable donation to EVCUSA? Perhaps they could register and that way at least he could get a tax write off.

Also, quit bashing Vectrix with the dumbest, emptiest rants ever. I was on the Vectrix stand at the Dealer Expo in Indianapolis on Feb 14th & 15th. They're great people, very helpful and professional. Where was EVCUSA? Why were they not at the premiere show for motorcycle dealers in the USA? I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Vectrix is the best bike out there right now. Perhaps they'll lose that position. I hope so - but only because competition is good. I happen to think they're too expensive - but, hey, I didn't get a vote on setting the price. Good luck to them. But then again, Vectrix remaining as the Cadillac of the 2 wheel EV market is fine - there's room for us all - not everyone wants a Cadillac.

A word of advice to you - don't post anything one way or the other about the competition vs. EVCUSA until there's significant NEW news about the EVCUSA. Those guys have only themselves to blame for being way too early with their marketing and way too late with their results. So, do us all a favor and keep quiet unless you've got something worthwhile to add.

And yes, I work for a different competitor. It's right there in my tag line.

rewski

Has anybody else heard anything about EVC and these new bikes? It seems like we are approaching Q3 2009 and no product yet.

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

RuFuS
RuFuS's picture

Has anybody else heard anything about EVC and these new bikes? It seems like we are approaching Q3 2009 and no product yet.

no product yet...and no product NEVER...

This is what's called "vaporware"...i don't know if you understand me...

Cheers

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Back in June I received an email titled "EVC update" from sales [at] evcusa.com and signed by Mario Valentino. It didn't contain any real news - but promised more info by the end of the year. They hint at delivery in 2009: "We are looking forward to later in 2009 to be able to give you the opportunity to experience what we feel will be the ultimate in personalized next generation clean transportation".

Other than that - no news.

I hope they succeed - but unfortunately I've filed this in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Back in June I received an email titled "EVC update" from sales [at] evcusa.com and signed by Mario Valentino. It didn't contain any real news - but promised more info by the end of the year. They hint at delivery in 2009: "We are looking forward to later in 2009 to be able to give you the opportunity to experience what we feel will be the ultimate in personalized next generation clean transportation".

Other than that - no news.

I hope they succeed - but unfortunately I've filed this in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

Yeah, I got the same email.

FWIW Vectrix was in that same pigeon-hole for a long time. They'd been promising and promising for years and it was a big relief when they started delivering vehicles.

"I'll believe it when I see it" is a good attitude.

rewski

Thanks for the replies. I am excited about the possibility of these bikes mainly because I live in Denver, CO...next door to their supposed headquarters in Boulder. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything locally.

Adam - Denver, CO

myocardia

Thanks for the replies. I am excited about the possibility of these bikes mainly because I live in Denver, CO...next door to their supposed headquarters in Boulder. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything locally.

So, drive to Boulder, and knock on their door. If it's nothing more than a mailbox or maybe an empty office, you'll have your answer. If there are actually people and electric scooters there, then you could ask them these same questions yourself. If their home office was anywhere near Dallas (where I live), you'd already have your answers.:)

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

So, drive to Boulder, and knock on their door. If it's nothing more than a mailbox or maybe an empty office, you'll have your answer. If there are actually people and electric scooters there, then you could ask them these same questions yourself. If their home office was anywhere near Dallas (where I live), you'd already have your answers.:)

The address at the bottom of the email was:

The Electric Vehicle Company
2525 Arapahoe Ave, Suite E4 - 278
Boulder, CO 80302

rewski

The address at the bottom of the email was:

The Electric Vehicle Company
2525 Arapahoe Ave, Suite E4 - 278
Boulder, CO 80302

Well I know exactly where that is (after google street viewing it). Next time I'm out in Boulder I'll swing by the alleged office.

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage