Does buying direct from China (Mt Chen) mean no MCO or Title documentation?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
PetroZero
PetroZero's picture
Does buying direct from China (Mt Chen) mean no MCO or Title documentation?

Can anyone tell me the skinny on getting a vehicle titled when you are purchasing it direct from manufacturer in China? Are they able to send you the required paperwork? I suppose the alternative is that you would have to register as a dealer and process the docs yourself? I'm ill informed as you can probably tell! Thanks for the info.

And thanks for a terrific forum!

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Does buying direct from China (Mt Chen) mean no MCO or Title

The MCO is the title documentation. Same as with a bike bought over the 'net in the USA - you take the MCO and the bill of sale to the local DMV. Mountain Chen will likely provide you one mailed separately than the bike.

Now I'm going to put on my dealer's hat and request that you think long and hard before buying a bike directly like this. Some things to think about:

- who will you turn to for support of the vehicle? Yes, mountain chen can and will provide some support but, hopefully a good dealer will be able to provide more immediate assistance (even a remote sales rep like me).
- what about spare parts? The importer usually imports a stock of spare parts that is considered enough to cover warranty and ongoing maintenance for the number of bikes they imported. If supplies get short they may not want to sell spares for "other brands" because they want to be able to support their bikes.
- what will you do if the MCO doesn't turn up or it turns up with incorrect info? Getting the paperwork straightened out for the XM-2000 for X-Treme was an 18 month nightmare. This time around they invested a lot of time and effort to be listed as the "manufacturer of record" - primarily to ensure smoother issuing of paperwork.
- Anyone selling a vehicle with a VIN needs to be a dealer (or working for a dealer). Setting yourself up as a dealer is non-trivial (in Michigan you need a bricks and mortar presence, licensed repair facilities, at least 30 hours per week open to the public, a $10K security bond, and all appropriate zoning and permits).

Buying a bike direct is tempting and it can cost less initially. However, you don't get something for nothing - you take on more risk and have to be prepared to be more independent with maintenance. If you do buy a one-off then you make the market less attractive for the folks trying to become dealers who are investing six figure sums to be able to effectively enter this field (yes, this is why I'm writing this). So, not only do you take more risk you also risk damaging the market.

You may think this is all self-serving - and to an extent it is. It's your choice. Just think about it.

I welcome others who have gone this route to chime in. It certainly is possible and I'm sure others have a different POV.

(Also, if truly ordering a sample with the intent of entering the EV import business then that seems more reasonable to me - however, if the model is already available in the states why not buy one of those? ;-) )

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

strawhistle
Re: Does buying from (Mt Chen) mean no MCO or Title ?

After finding ev cycles on allibaba and decieding on mountain chens newly addvertised vk2008 96KM lifepo4 byke , I put down my money and waited and waited , learned about V is for voltage and extreme !!! to late! well the bike finaly came as a Verda with 19 bats and no bms and no service manual and a MCO that is being questioned by Wis Dmv I bought the bike as a sample but would have been willing to pay the little extra for extreme's strength behind me any sugestions now ? I like the bike but being 65 yr old I don't think i can support those that are asking me about getting them one of their own !! so if you haven't already spent your money I would think about the extreme dealers LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

Mountain chen
Re: Does buying from (Mt Chen) mean no MCO or Title ?

After finding ev cycles on allibaba and decieding on mountain chens newly addvertised vk2008 96KM lifepo4 byke , I put down my money and waited and waited , learned about V is for voltage and extreme !!! to late! well the bike finaly came as a Verda with 19 bats and no bms and no service manual and a MCO that is being questioned by Wis Dmv I bought the bike as a sample but would have been willing to pay the little extra for extreme's strength behind me any sugestions now ? I like the bike but being 65 yr old I don't think i can support those that are asking me about getting them one of their own !! so if you haven't already spent your money I would think about the extreme dealers LaTeR

Dear Mr Whistle,where did you get that bike ? what can I do for you ?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage