Vectrix in the rain

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morrison
Vectrix in the rain

I had my first experience today riding my Vectrix in the Seattle rain. It was fine. No issues to report.

But since this is the first time I have ever dealt with a wet motorcycle, is there anything I should know? Are there any key parts to be kept dry? Or are these things designed to be weather proof?

DaveD
DaveD's picture
Re: Vectrix in the rain

But since this is the first time I have ever dealt with a wet motorcycle, is there anything I should know? Are there any key parts to be kept dry? Or are these things designed to be weather proof?

First and foremost, keep yourself dry and comfortable. No kidding. If you aren't comfortable, you'll make a mistake. Anti-fog for your helmet visor. I use the PinLock Anti-fog inserts for my full-face helmet; I, too, was riding in the Seattle rain today, and had no problem with fogging.

As for the Vectrix, I've had mine since last July, and rode it through a good bit of last year's rainy period. I didn't have a problem with it in the rain. My understanding is that there are some government rain/wet tests that it has to pass to be able to be sold as a vehicle for use in this country. I imagine there are similar requirements for other countries, too.

Safety-wise, Corner slower. Give yourself more room from vehicles ahead for braking. Avoid manhole covers or any metal surfaces on the road; they're slick with water on them. Cross railroad tracks slowly, and at right angles to the rails. Car drivers are even less likely to see you when the weather turns bad. Consider wearing a high-visibility vest, with reflective patches on it.

duca

I've had my share of rain too, and I have no major issues to report: no fulgurated people on the sidewalk when i dug in potholes full of water or such :D

Keep an eye on the glove-compartment in the front fairing: some water could enter through if it rains strong enough.

Bye

Mik
Mik's picture

The breaks are the main issue in the rain, of course.

Yes, yes , they are very good breaks.

But when they are wet they do not grip for a (split??) second, then you pull harder to make them grip,.... 'course your reflexes are good, .....then the water on the disks evaporates and suddenly they start to work as usually....top notch performance...

Only that you are pulling doubly as hard as usually at that particular moment.

Then, the wonderfully effective Brembo breaks kick in whilst the traction on the road is low due to the rain...

BANG!

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Why all the negativity Mik?
It's like any other motorcycle.

I've had 2 motorcycles with disc brakes. It's just a matter of getting used to breaking in the rain. Nothing special. And I've ridden them in torrential rains.

MikeB

Safety-wise, Corner slower. Give yourself more room from vehicles ahead for braking. Avoid manhole covers or any metal surfaces on the road; they're slick with water on them.

Good advice. Manhole covers are horribly slippery when wet, but another surprising source of slippage is the thick road paint used these days. Especially bad are wide lines, like crosswalks, but plain old lane markers can be a problem too.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Mik
Mik's picture

I've had 2 motorcycles with disc brakes. It's just a matter of getting used to breaking in the rain. Nothing special. And I've ridden them in torrential rains.

There is no negativity. As with the rest of my posts. Zero hype, thankyouverymuch!

It's called reality and it will kill you if you let it. Or if it really wants to kill you, it will do so anyway!

Read the header of the thread:

But since this is the first time I have ever dealt with a wet motorcycle, is there anything I should know?

Mr. Mik

duca

To people like Morrison, who are totally new to motorbikes and similar, the warning of Mr. Mik is a good advice.
An old wisdom at the times where brake disks weren't holed was to softly touch the brakes every now and then to disrupt the water film it may form on the disk: now it is less of an issue because holed disks suffer less from this, just be prepared to have the disk biting harder than expected after a very short delay. BTW, the behaviour of brake disks in wet condition was a major cause for famous manufacturer to stay with the combination front disk / rear drum for a long time even on big touring bikes, precisely because drums are less affected by rain (trading this with less power and fatigue).
I'd advise to drive EVEN MORE conservatively than usual and resist temptation to wild squeeze the brakes if case seems to ask for it.

Always remember that the better rider uses his superior judgement to avoid getting involved in situations where he might be required to show his superior skills (adapted from a sentence of an old WWII aviation ace).

With Vectrix, if driven carefully, you should be able to confront rainy days with DAaRT only even in heavy trafic (but always keep your fingers on the brakes!).

AndY1
AndY1's picture

There is no negativity. As with the rest of my posts. Zero hype, thankyouverymuch!

It's called reality and it will kill you if you let it. Or if it really wants to kill you, it will do so anyway!

Read the header of the thread:

But since this is the first time I have ever dealt with a wet motorcycle, is there anything I should know?

Mr. Mik

It is a reality, but you make it look like it can only happen when riding Vectrix with it's 'excellent' Brembo brakes.

And please, don't take this as an offense. We're all grown up.

Hermes

What about continuous exposure to rain fall not having a shelter to park it?
Think British wheather.

Would any problems arise?

DaveD
DaveD's picture

My understanding is that Seattle weather is similar to the famous "British weather". I've had my Vectrix parked outside unprotected in daylong Seattle rains and then ridden it home in the downpour without any issues. From what I can see, the Vectrix is constructed in a way to shed water, and to resist water spray off of wet pavements from getting into the electrical parts.

Hermes

I meant, once you get home it still has to stay out, parked in the rain.
Still ok?

Mik
Mik's picture

I meant, once you get home it still has to stay out, parked in the rain.
Still ok?

I have a suspicion that water might collect in the tray at the back of the passenger hand grip.
It might then rust the screws over time.

Mr. Mik

DaveD
DaveD's picture

Maybe these screws are good candidates to be replaced with stainless steel versions. Are they a standard type of screw?

knabo
knabo's picture

I haven't had the pleasure of riding in the rain. I would think that if I was leaving my Vectrix out in the rain for any period of time I would get a cover for it. One, to stop minor rusting, and two, to keep my back from getting wet when I rode it again...

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

I've made a habit of wiping down the bike after riding in the rain just to keep it looking nice. However, water does get under the lower windshield behind the instrument panel where you can't reach reach it. It's really only cosmetic spotting, but to clean the entire windshield you'd probably need to detach it.

Mik
Mik's picture

I've made a habit of wiping down the bike after riding in the rain just to keep it looking nice.

And I wait for rain to wash it (unassisted that is)!!!

My work colleagues sometimes think I'm crazy to ride the bike when I do - that's just about every time it is operational.

When it is bucketing rain that's a prime opportunity to test the Vectux in that scenario, so I do!

And there has not been a problem due to water in 8 months with two different Vetrixes. And it does bucket severely here at times.

Water has been no problem EXCEPT for crossing creeks. Believe it or not, the question did pose itself to me and I had to decide against trying it out. Covering the drainage holes in the battery compartment with good sticky tape would have been the alternative, and I would try it if I really had to.

The only still unsolved problem (apart from crossing rivers without bridges) is wet balls. That is of course not Vectrix (but gender) specific....YUK!

Mr. Mik

Wotnopetrol

I've had 6 BMWs, all with Brembo brakes with drilled stainless disks fore and aft and have never had brake lag or snatching due to wet disks.

With new pads the brakes are a quite snatchy at first until they bed in. So I wonder if the problem Mr Mik is experiencing is because the brakes on the Vectrix take much longer to bed in because the regen braking is used instead. Just a thought.

Maybe some good braking soley using the "real" brakes is needed when new. The demo bike I rode last week in the dry was a bit snatchy to be honest, probably because they too hadn't been worn in yet, it was a low mileage bike.

Simon.

Working hard tonight reading through this excellent forum and catching up on all the postings. 9 days to go until my Bergundy Vectrix turns up!

Simon

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Congratulations! I should receive mine on Wednesday, September 17.

Wotnopetrol

Congratulations! I should receive mine on Wednesday, September 17.

Shame we don't live nearer Andy, we could go out and celebrate!

Simon.

Simon

Mik
Mik's picture

So I wonder if the problem Mr Mik is experiencing is because the brakes on the Vectrix take much longer to bed in because the regen braking is used instead. Just a thought.

Really, I have no problem with the breaks.
As I said, they are very good brakes. But riding in rain is very dangerous and braking is massively more dangerous in wet conditions. Even with the best brakes.

I have worn down my first set of tires within 5000km on the Vectux, mainly due to multiple full emergency stop simulations, those brakes are well and truly "bedded in"!

It's the front wheel that is starting to sing in this video...
Mr. Mik

Wotnopetrol
So I wonder if the problem Mr Mik is experiencing is because the brakes on the Vectrix take much longer to bed in because the regen braking is used instead. Just a thought.

Really, I have no problem with the breaks.
As I said, they are very good brakes. But riding in rain is very dangerous and braking is massively more dangerous in wet conditions. Even with the best brakes.

I have worn down my first set of tires within 5000km on the Vectux, mainly due to multiple full emergency stop simulations, those brakes are well and truly "bedded in"!

One thing that just occured to me Mr. Mik, My last 6 BMW machines over the last 15 years have ALL been equiped with ABS.

I am going to miss that system on the Vectrix and will have to retrain myself that I can't "grab a handfull with impunity" in all conditions like I have enjoyed for so many years.

I have had ABS equiped bikes for so long I have taken it rather for granted, I'll have to watch that!

Simon.

Simon

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage