fried charger

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
22theman
fried charger

Last night I went to a soccer game. I locked the charger inside the seat (yes,yes I know i am not supposed to do that). Anyway when I came out of the game I wanted to see that beatiful green light telling me my scooter was charged. but there was not a green light or red light lit. Also, it was very very hot! I checked the fuses in the charger and the one that is next to the lights was toast. Today i went to buy new fuses.. Everytime I put one in and plug the charger inside the seat I hear a zap (no pun intended) and the fuse burns. My question is do i have a bad charger or did i screw up my zapino? What should I do????

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: fried charger

Sounds like a toasted charger to me. They need some ventilation.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

22theman

do you think zap will send me a replacement under warranty? If not, where can I buy a speed charger?

Tanner
Tanner's picture

Zap replaced my charger within a week. After a month of good service it stopped working and tripped the circuit's GFCI. The new charger looks the same but is .4 less amps than the 5 amp original. Zap may tell you that you have to return the broken charger before they will ship a replacement. Don't put up with that nonsense. Tell them that you will be submitting a warranty claim for the batteries that are fully discharged and can't be charged until you get the replacement battery charger. That seemed to change their mind about shipping the replacement charger out before getting the broken one.

Steve Tanner

22theman

I appreciate the advice but why would I submit a warranty claim for the batteries?

Tanner
Tanner's picture

I appreciate the advice but why would I submit a warranty claim for the batteries?

It is my understanding that if you leave lead acid batteries fully discharged for an extended period of time it causes irreversible damage to the plates in the batteries. Without a working battery charger, there isn't a way to charge the batteries.

Steve Tanner

sgmdudley

Have there been any other failures of the Zapino String Charger? I have never used mine as I have had Bank Charging Installed from the beginning. I do have the string charger under the seat for opportunity charging, but so far have not needed it.

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

22theman

Just wanted to let you all know it was my charger that I fried. I called Zap! and in under a week I had my new charger, free under warranty. I am very happy with this service!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage