Electric aircraft at Oshkosh

5 replies [Last post]
reikiman's picture

Here's a waycool thing. For a couple years I've seen little bits about developments for electric aircraft .. of course most of it is the rise of UAV's being utilized by the military nowadays.. but this is a human piloted airplane being shown at the yearly Oshkosh fly-in event..

http://www.airventure.org/2008/8sun3/electra_flyer.html

It's a small airplane, one seater. The battery pack is "lithium polymer" and gives 1 hour of flying time (or so) and can recharge quickly.

I've got earlier coverage on my web site ...

Sonex Aircraft, LLC and AeroConversions Unveil E-Flight Initiative for Sport Aircraft Alternative Energy Research & Development

http://www.7gen.com/topics/electric-ultralight-aircraft

A month or so ago I was at a professional conference about running online community. Some of the people attending were running huge communities such as the forums related to some online video games (don't remember the name).

Anyway this one pair of guys had badges saying "Experimental Aircraft Association". I'd mentioned I do EV's and run this forum about EV's and that got a bunch of people talking to me about EV's ... including a lady from Consumer Union who said that on their forum people were starting to ask whether the EMF emissions from hybrid cars might be damaging like how cell phone radiation is damaging. Hmm..

Anyway the EAA guy asked me if I'd known about these electric airplanes. Since I'd read about last years reports, yes, I did know a bit.

He was also amused to learn of "the other EAA" .. because, the Electric Auto Association also uses the initials 'EAA'.

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Torque News, electric race news, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- EVT 4000, Charger bike (rebuilt), Vego 600sx (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie
- Lectra motorcycle, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
ArcticFox's picture
Re: Electric aircraft at Oshkosh

Sonex wrote:

The aircraft would fulfill it’s record-attempt mission, however, it would only have an endurance of approximately 10 minutes.

I don't know what to say about that. Enough power to get to the tarmac, and that's it?

www.BaseStationZero.com
THINKING X-TREME? - Do a Google search for "Alpha Products International" first!

I couldn't help but look at the web page, and notice how they took a Cesna airplane, and made it electric (atleast I am pretty sure that's a cesna).
ElectraFlyer C, hmmmmm.

----> airplane nut, especially old World War II aircraft.

LinkOfHyrule's picture

Sort of relevant is the hydrogen hyperjet.

It's also twice as fast as the concorde at a speed of mach 5 (3,400mph). ._.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contained herein.

andys's picture

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/08/the-company-cla.html

here is one capable to nearly 2 hour flights and can hit 70 to 90 MPH.

reikiman's picture

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Torque News, electric race news, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- EVT 4000, Charger bike (rebuilt), Vego 600sx (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie
- Lectra motorcycle, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Short URL

Customize This