Curie s250

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Frige
Frige's picture
Curie s250

Newbie here 8)
I just found this site and it seems to be full of great information. I have a couple of curie scooters that I use at the track and the small one is giving me problems. The batteries died so I replaced them with the ones for a s350 to give more range. I think the motor is draging as it blew the 40amp fuse. How hard is it to upgrade tp a 350watt or larger motor? I assume you have to replace the controller. What else is involved? Maybe I should just pick up a s1000 to move my fat butt around :D

Frige
Frige's picture
Re: Curie s250

Wow no response?
Oh well I will just part it out I guess. It looks like it would not be cost effective to soup it up. Anyone hear how the s1000 is? I see it has a direct drive is that better or worse?

TheScrutinizer

I can't tell you about how to mod your S250.

However, I can tell you that the ST1000 is not as cool as it looks. I too was very impressed by the direct drive (DD) feature but I no longer am.

My first ST1000 went FUBAR because the DD failed. There's no way to service it and you have to replace the entire motor, DD and rear wheel for $250. So I just bought another one.

I've only had the second one a couple months and the DD is already making funny sounds. Naturally the day after the warranty expires will be the day it fails.

The older Currie's might have had problems with the chain jumping off but at least it was an easy fix.

Scooters never seem to last very long. :-(

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

I own 3 S1000's, and I love them. The direct drive isn't that bad. I've been driving the 60v for about a year now with no problems. I have a 60v 10ah lead Stealth, a 48v 15ah lipo Stealth, and a 36v 20ah Stealth. They have all been great to me. The motor and direct drive are $150 from MonsterScooters.com, and the controller is only $50. The motor itself is $100. I would upgrade the tubes in the tires, and that's about it. I have different controllers on the 60v and 48v, but I live in the mountains and weigh 215lbs. I need the extra power. If I lived on flat and weighed a little less, the stock would be just fine. Bottom line, S1000 are awesome. I've got about 450 miles on the 48v, 100 miles on the 60v, and only about 20 on the 36v. I know what I'm talking about.

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

TheScrutinizer
Re: Stealth

So what might I be doing wrong to my Stealth's to make them not last very long?

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

I have no clue. With the 60v and 48v packs and controllers, the scooter will snap from a start. I regularly hit speeds above 25mph too. I've opened up one of the gearboxes, the 48v one, and filled it with more gear wax. You might try that. It really doesn't make sense to me why yours would fail so soon. Oh, and the 60v scoot is an 2006 model, the other two are 2007's.

andys
andys's picture

They have bad quality control on the Stealth. A friend just bought three,(against my advise) and only one was worth keeping-he took the other two back. They had more than one issue, from warped wheels/brakes, to unknown lack of power, to 4 mile run times until batteries were dead, to funny sounds coming form the direct drive. If you are lucky to get a good one, they are a decent scooter. No way that is a 1000 watt scooter though, More like 600. Maybe 1000 watt peak. I have a Lashout scooter with an aftermarket 1000 watt motor, and it goes 32 MPh on the straights and can climb steep hills going 20 MPH.

Keep an eye out for a used older F18 or any of the older better Currie made scooters that had full suspension and the 600 watt chain drive motors. We have found several on Craig's list, and they make great project scooters if you want to put in a larger readily available motor. they work fine stock too if you don't need the extra speed.

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

They have bad quality control on the Stealth. A friend just bought three,(against my advise) and only one was worth keeping-he took the other two back. They had more than one issue, from warped wheels/brakes, to unknown lack of power, to 4 mile run times until batteries were dead, to funny sounds coming form the direct drive. If you are lucky to get a good one, they are a decent scooter. No way that is a 1000 watt scooter though, More like 600. Maybe 1000 watt peak. I have a Lashout scooter with an aftermarket 1000 watt motor, and it goes 32 MPh on the straights and can climb steep hills going 20 MPH.

Keep an eye out for a used older F18 or any of the older better Currie made scooters that had full suspension and the 600 watt chain drive motors. We have found several on Craig's list, and they make great project scooters if you want to put in a larger readily available motor. they work fine stock too if you don't need the extra speed.

That sucks. I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with the S1000. I do agree that the 600 is a better project scooter. The direct drive makes it difficult for swapping motors very easy. I have bent wheels too. These wheels bend easier than I wish they did. The sudden lack of power could be from a dragging brake or dead cell in the battery pack. 4 miles can also be from this dead cell. The packs sit sometimes for months without being charged while in the store. I've heard a lot of stories about people getting scooters with bad batteries. But that's all scooters.

I think the 1000w Stealth motor is really underrated. I ran mine at 60v with no problem. I'm shooting for 72v if I can get my controller fixed (I customized a yk-42). The Stealth is running 40-100amp and 60v right now. That's 2400-6000w peak.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage