Coming soon - a 5 way comparitive review...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Coming soon - a 5 way comparitive review...

Hi,

In the next couple of weeks or so (depending on schedules and work load) I hope to be able to do a side by side comparison of 5 bikes:

1) XM-3000
2) XM-3500
3) EFun-D
4) Yamaha Vino 125cc
5) 50cc bike TBD

The bikes will be instrumented using professional grade data acquisition systems courtesy of Corsa Instruments.

If anyone in South East Michigan cares to add another bike into the mix please contact me (via my website listed below).

I'd love to include a Vectrix!

HalfMooner
Re: Coming soon - a 5 way comparitive review...

Wow, that's going to be great, jdh2550_1! I'm not sure I've seen a head-to-head comparison like that yet.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The EFun-D arrived today. So, now I have all the electrics lined up. I just have to come up with a testing methodology and then it's off to the races, so to speak.

BTW - the EFun-D vs. the XM-3500Li is really a tale of "twins separated at birth and raised by different parents"!

This should be fun!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

xring

JDH - Wow! That's awesome! I'm really looking forward to the comparo! Thanks! :)

MikeB

John, do you or any close friends have an iPhone? Apparently, the built-in accelerometer is quite accurate. For $13, there is a piece of software called 'Dynolicious' that give a pretty accurate measurement of acceleration/speed and even horsepower. It's apparently more accurate than a $150 dedicated unit that is popular with car enthusiasts.

http://dynolicious.com/

It'd be interesting to have such measurements as part of your comparison.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

mrladderman
mrladderman's picture

THERE is this new thing called GPS that all(well, the new good) cell phones have - that will tell you your speed in mph also.....

verizon has like a 2 day free trial period.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/turnbyturn.jsp

RuFuS
RuFuS's picture

Can you make us a little preview?

From what you tested until now and what you have seen, which one could be better? xm-3500 ou efun D?

Have Efun D a BMS?

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

John, do you or any close friends have an iPhone? Apparently, the built-in accelerometer is quite accurate. For $13, there is a piece of software called 'Dynolicious' that give a pretty accurate measurement of acceleration/speed and even horsepower. It's apparently more accurate than a $150 dedicated unit that is popular with car enthusiasts.

http://dynolicious.com/

It'd be interesting to have such measurements as part of your comparison.

Thanks for that link! This is hilarious - because I was planning on trying to develop the very same thing myself. It appears I've been beaten to the punch!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

THERE is this new thing called GPS that all(well, the new good) cell phones have - that will tell you your speed in mph also.....

verizon has like a 2 day free trial period.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/turnbyturn.jsp

Thanks, I also have a Garmin hand held GPS. However, what I want to be able to do is integrate speed, voltage and amp draw data into one synchronized data stream. Erik (the owner of Corsa) has access to all the data acq stuff we'll need.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Can you make us a little preview?

From what you tested until now and what you have seen, which one could be better? xm-3500 ou efun D?

Have Efun D a BMS?

Sorry, but I don't want to do a preview right now - it wouldn't be fair as I haven't had enough chance to put the EFun through it's paces.

I can tell you that the EFun that I have doesn't have a BMS.

rms401

John,

Where did you get your Efun-d?

We and Efun have made several upgrades to the product. There are upgraded brakes, a new console, and different shocks from some earlier models.

We also have available the 60ah LFP battery packs. This will make a significant difference in performance.

We will offer a BMS soon for both the LFP amd VRLA models.

Would you be interested in including the new model in your review? We will have the 60ah LFP ready for delivery in about 4 weeks.

www.electricbikedistributor.com
www.rmartinbikes.com

Randall Schleier
Sales Director
R Martin Limited Company
877-680-8400
admin [at] electricbikedistributor.com

RuFuS
RuFuS's picture

John,

We and Efun have made several upgrades to the product. There are upgraded brakes, a new console, and different shocks from some earlier models.

We also have available the 60ah LFP battery packs. This will make a significant difference in performance.

Would you be interested in including the new model in your review? We will have the 60ah LFP ready for delivery in about 4 weeks.

www.rmartinbikes.com

Randall Schleier
Sales Director
R Martin Limited Company
877-680-8400

That's very interesting!
And do you have any ideia where i can get one in Europe?

Regards

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

John,

www.rmartinbikes.com

Randall Schleier
Sales Director
R Martin Limited Company
877-680-8400

Hi Randall,

I got my bike from Daniel Cardenas (DanCar on this forum). I understand that it might be an older model. Have you made any updates to the controller or motor? Aileen Tan, from EFun, has also contacted me - and I'm going to send her the VIN from my bike so that she can confirm it's date of manufacture.

If you want to provide details of the upgraded components I'll happily include them in the review.

Aileen also recommended including the Zapino 2008 in the review. However, my main issue is access to these bikes. I will likely go ahead and do a review of what I have available - hopefully the comparison can create some form of baseline and then I can review new bikes as they become available?

Where about is R Martin located? Could I get a loaner bike for purposes of a review? I'm in South East Michigan (there's not a lot of e-bike dealers around here!)

Thanks for taking an interest in this review.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage