How do I go about swapping Currie controller from 24V to 36V (wiring dilemma)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheScrutinizer
How do I go about swapping Currie controller from 24V to 36V (wiring dilemma)

So I have this old Schwinn S350 that I picked up for $40. I have grandiose plans for it.

I've already upgraded it to 36V. The third battery lives in the basket. (Yeah, kinda cheesy. I know. Works though.)

I have a dead Stealth 1000 and a dead Tsunami that I'm using for parts.

I want to eventually put the 500W motor from the Tsunami on the S350 and run it at 48V.

The next step in this transformation is going to be swapping out the 24V controller from the S350 for the 36V controller harvested from the dead Stealth.

Problem is that the 36V controller has two more wires coming out of it than the 24V controller.

Perhaps the 36V controller has the brake inhibit feature and that accounts for the additional wires?

If so do I just leave them alone and leave them just hanging there?

Are they for something else perhaps?

Does anyone know what I do about this?

Thanks in advance. As you can tell, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this stuff.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: How do I go about swapping Currie controller

I don't know much about these scooters.. but a suggestion is that you can learn a lot about the S1000 controller by how it's currently wired up.

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

And on that note, here's how my 2006 Stealth 1000 controller was wired up:

Stealth_Controller.jpg

From the Top:

2 wires to motor

2 wires to brake inhibit switch on handlebars

6 pin diagnostic 36V half-twist hall-effect throttle

2 wires (red and black) to battery pack (I've changed the connector on my controller to Anderson PP's)

Since you have the Stealth as a "donor", why not move the throttle and brake lever/switch/cable along with the controller?

The scooter should run without the brake wires attached. Just tie it off out of the way.

Harlow

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture

What is broke on your Stealth? I need some stuff from one. I just trashed my transmission today. Yeah, everyone told me it was junk, but I said it wasn't. After running 48v and 100amps with a very touchy controller for 400+ miles, I broke a couple teeth off.

As far as the wiring, only three of the 6 pin plug do anything useful. The other three are for the "gas gauge." I'll check when I get home which ones I pulled when I wired up my throttle. It's an easy fix. I can't remember if the colors are the same for the wires that use from the 3 pin throttle to the 6 pin. I know one is the same. I'm at the library right now. I should be home tonight around 9pm. It's noon now if you time zone is different. So, 9 hours after this posting.

Oh, I need a transmission, motor, and rear wheel from anyone who has an extra from a Stealth 1000. Blown motor, chipped trans, and bent wheel. Not bad for 400+ miles on a $300 scooter that gets abused if you ask me. I know of the set on monsterscooter for $129. I'll get that if no one replies. Thanks ya'll.

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

TheScrutinizer
Re: What broke on my Stealth?

Oh it was the tranny naturally.

Broken teeth.

My new Stealth which is only a couple months old is already making funny sounds. I am not sold on the direct drive. I wish it had a good old, simple chain.

Tireiron:

400 miles is better than most scooters get before their retired I would imagine. That got me thinking about something.

Are these scooters really as cheap to operate as we think? It cost you $1 per mile to operate your scooter when considering the other stuff you have installed. You have close to zero salvage value now that it's dead.

Are we kidding ourselves?

If our cars cost us a buck a mile before retiring it we'd be pretty disappointed. Right?

Tireiron55
Tireiron55's picture
Re: What broke on my Stealth?

I'm not kidding myself about saving money with this thing. It costs about $5 a day to park downtown. I can't afford that, but I can afford the scooter. It's not going to be free, that's for sure. If I didn't have the hills around town, I could go with a stock Stealth, that would have cost less and lasted longer. It's just my transmission that's broken, and it was my fault. If I went back, I wouldn't have ramped the scoot, and that would have saved me a wheel. I wouldn't have went almost 40mph down hill, because that would save me a motor. The trans is the only thing that I don't think I could help. Forums like these are here for people to share their experiences so you can learn from others mistakes and hopefully save money.

You need the red, black, and blue wires. The others are for the "gas gauge." I think the connection is red-red, black-green, blue-black.

I bent my wheel, broke my trans, and blew my motor. Now I cry a lot.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage