So I want an XB scooter

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAFN
So I want an XB scooter

Which ever one I decide on will become my only mode of transprotation for at least the next 6 months to a year so help me make the right decision. I am 6'2" 235+- lbs. I know I need at least a 500 watt motor to be able to get my body moving. I live less than 7 miles from work, so I should be able to make it back and forth with one charge, But I can charge it at work.

Just for price reasons I am leaning on the 508. It has a slight more powerful motor and slightly larger batteries for the price? What are your feelings on it compaired to the 500 and 600? I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

I love the 60 and 72 volt mods i have seen. I know that with the 72v you HAVE to mod the controller board. Do you have to do it on the 60v mod? Has anyone tried this on the 500 or 508?

How good are the head and tail lights? Should they be replaced with some aftermarket driving lights at the auto parts store? I am more concerned about being seen on some of these country roads I travel on.

Has anyone tried to replace the standard batteries with higher amp small car batteries? I would love to have a longer range.

How many miles have you put on your XB? Anything I should know or plan on doing shortly after getting?

How good is the electric motor sealed? We get alot of rain here in the Houston area and I dont want to have to worry about shorting the motor out or controller out.

Where is the best place to buy my scooter from?

Does anyone know what the cost is of an extra charger?

Thanks for your time an help.

JAFN
Just Another F@#%!$% Newbee

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Re: So I want an XB scooter

Personally I would suggest staying away from any of the XB-5## models. I've been having quite a few customers having quality control issues with them lately. Save your money for a larger one - it'll be worth it.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

JAFN

Personally I would suggest staying away from any of the XB-5## models. I've been having quite a few customers having quality control issues with them lately. Save your money for a larger one - it'll be worth it.

What QC issues are the 500 and 508 having? electrical? Fit and Finnish? bad motors, bad control boards?

What percentage of issues are the 500 and 508 having vs what percentage of the 600 having?

I have read about the screw issues and the poor alignment of the tires issue. What else do I need to expect?????

depetro

I'd suggest an XB-600. If you're going to start modding it, you're going to want the extra overhead that a 600 Watt motor provides.

As for replacing the batteries with car batteries for extended range or whatever you asked, that's a dead end for several reasons. Firstly, a battery's volume and weight to a great extent dictates its WHr capacity. It'd be rather difficult to add in a lot more capacity for distance without changing the battery chemistry. Also, keep car batteries away from anything that requires constant deep cycling (like an electric scooter). Car batteries are designed to provide more CA's (cranking amps) so their lead plates have a greater surface area (they're kind of like a sponge in form). A deep cycle battery (like what you would use in an electric scooter) has less surface area on the lead plates so it has less instantaneous amperage but the plates are more robust and less prone to breakage over a larger number of cycles.

Wow, that was a long digression, but I'll just reiterate, get an XB-600 and get it from someone reputable like www.basestationzero.com .

JAFN

WOW! Great information.

Well in that case how about using Dewalt battery packs as replacement batteries?

depetro

Haha, now you're talking sense. My guess is that a DeWalt battery pack is NiMH chemistry. If you switch to NiMH you're going to get better range as the batteries have a greater power density (more Whrs per lb/kg). Though, i would cautioin that using DeWalt packs may not be the best idea. One thing I thought about is using AA or C or D rechargeable NiMH (probably D's as you'd need a lot less of them) and fashioning a battery pack from that. Just food for thought.

Though, I think you'll find the stock range of the SLA's in the XB-600 ample for your commute. My plan (and I think that of many others) is to use the stock SLA's for a few years until they wear out then mod up to something more exotic (read: expensive) at that time.

onemanprotest

It all comes down to speed. How fast do you want to go and what are you willing to do to go that fast?

I recently purchased the xb700-Li mostly because of the battery life. Just a day or two after riding the bike, I realized distance wasn't the problem for me, I had the need for speed. The distance was so incredible that I immediately decided to take it on a 20 mile plus intra-day commute to a satellite office 2 or 3 times a week. The only bad part is the speed limits on the route are on average 45mph. I can thump 45kph on a full charge for a few miles but then drop back to 42kph for the remainder of the ride.

You need speed. Trust me.

Plot your average commute. I've gone 44 miles easily on the xb700-Li without (seemingly) a dent in the charge. But if you want speed, at least more than 45kph (which ain't much when you get out there with the guzzlers) I say spend the extra 3k and get the xm-3500 even though everyone's bitching that it won't do the published 55mph or 63mph depending on what post you read. Whatever, 45mph is a definite with the xb-3500 and you can certainly blend in with the mass of traffic at 45mph.

As far as modding something to 60v or 72v, this sure looks like fun, but if you're going to mod something, don't bother modding the xb-600 like so many admirable posters have done. From what I've read, these are certainly some brilliant guys doing some amazing things to the xb-600 but at the end of the day, they're going 36mph. To me, the cash for the xm-3000 or the xm-3500 will get you beyond 36mph off the truck and although certainly less fun than modding, the cash will get you going faster... faster. (members, please don't bother shredding me on this thought! i love the xb-600 mod sagas and read them daily, religiously!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the registration part of the xb-3500 either. I've seen gas scooters blow by me at what can only be in upwards of 45mph and they're not registered. The stats on the bike are so amorphous, it would be tough to prove what it is anyway.

In the end, I'd spend the extra cash to get the speed even if it's not the outrageous speed published by x-treme.

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

I'm not sayin' don't buy it. Just be very aware that if you have a minor problem, it'll probably get taken care of pretty quickly. If you have a *major* one, however, you're going to be . . . uh . . . well . . . frustrated. Haven't given up hope on getting my XB-500 fixed yet, but my catastrophe happened on May 25th with no resolution. Many here have not had problems and neither have any of the people I contacted before I bought my XB-500.

Craftkiller

in regards to speed, onemanprotest is right. Make sure you look into the speed limits along your path to see if its worth it. About 90% of my driving (from my house to school and work) is in 25-35mph speed limits, so the XB-600+mods made sense for me... but if you have to drive on roads faster than 35mph you are not going to like this bike.

benmart

I've had my 700Li for three weeks, drive 5 miles r/t to work on roads that range fron 25 to 45 mph. I'm 6'200 and have had no battery power problems or keeping up with traffic. I usually meet the SUVs at the next red light and slide up next to them. I don't plan on any mods at this time as speed isn't a factor. However, I'm looking into an air-horn as I just about go T-boned yesterday by a nini-van driven by a mini-brain who was yacking to her passenger as she turned in front of me. Good luck and hope to see you on the street.

Ben - Modesto

richardb
richardb's picture

Your weight dictates that you get at least 750 watts. Otherwise, you won't make it up any inclines. Adding more batteries adds weight also, unless you go with lithium ion batteries, which will up your cost by $400 or more. I wouldn't suggest anything less than the XB-700li. Remember this about your investment, You'll be paying less than 1/2 cent per mile for fuel, so for every mile you drive this thing, you will save at least 20 cents.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage