xb500 short question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
pharmhand
xb500 short question

I have an xb-500 electric scooter which all of a sudden stopped working after I have had it for about 6 months, but rarely ridden it. I traced the problem to a blown fuse, which when I try to replace it, it sparks and blows again.
Where should I go from here try to troubleshoot it.

win32forth
win32forth's picture
Re: xb500 short question

Pharmhand,

I am guessing that you were riding it, when it stopped working, rather than the other case where you just turned it on, and it wouldn't go. I suspect the most likely culprit is a blown(shorted) FET in the controller. Others have had shorted wires, because the wire got pinched between something that cut through the insulation and shorted to the frame, so that is a possibility.
Also, I assume you are talking about the 30 amp main fuse blowing, not the 10 amp for the converter.
You can try disconnecting the connector shown at the top of the page, it should be located inside the front cowling of the bike, behind the headlights. Most likely this is not going to be the problem, but it is possible.
The other possibilities are the motor, and the controller. The motor is not likely to fail, unless it has a shorted wire, check that, especially where it goes into the axel at the right rear center of the motor wheel. Otherwise it pretty much has to be the controller. Disconnect it. If that helps, then the controller is almost surely a problem.

XB-600section.jpg

A new controller is:

Model#: XB500-220
Note:
Shipping: Included (Free)
Price: $75.00 Each

pharmhand

You are right. It is the 30 amp fuse that blew and it stopped while it was being ridden.
My next question is where is the controller and how do I test it to make sure it is bad.
Thanks for the response

mopedbrainy

One way to rule out the motor is to disconnect the three thick single wires (connectors ) going from the controller to the motor and powering the bike again.If do not blow the fuse then it is the motor.There are trippers from car van electric windows that work better than fuses since they could be reused after few minutes > They are shaped similarly to the 30 amp fuses. Yes ,the controller is located underneath the seat. Remove all that plastic assembly to get to the controller.

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

On the XB-500, the controller is behind the front fairing.Instructions here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3651-replacing-xb500-controller

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

Finding your controller:

1. Remove 4 screws opposite front fairing.
100_1801.jpg

2. Remove 5 screws on front fairing, slide the fairing gently downward then out, but not too far. You can then reach in and slip out the headlight from the back side of the fairing.
100_1803.jpg

3. The controller's right there behind the fairing. The two screws on the left are backed by tiny nuts so you need whatever size wrench they are when you remove the screws.
100_1735.jpg

4. To get to the fuse holder for the 2-blade fuse (wasn't sure if you found that), it's located within a bundle of wires that runs up from the front axle. Easiest way to get to it is to remove all the screws (and zip ties if I remember correctly) for the entire front panel. As I worked on mine, I taped the screws to the part so they didn't get lost.
100_1816.jpg

5. The little fuse holder pops open so you can replace the fuse.
100_1818.jpg

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

I have an xb-500 electric scooter which all of a sudden stopped working after I have had it for about 6 months, but rarely ridden it. I traced the problem to a blown fuse, which when I try to replace it, it sparks and blows again.
Where should I go from here try to troubleshoot it.
------------

Hey pharmhand, would it be possible for you to post a picture of your rear wheel? I'm detecting a trend here and I want to see if the problems you're having are with the same wheel/axle/motor design with mine, which is different from that posted on their Web site.

pharmhand

I took the controller out, and I am wondering if there is a way to test it for a short, I have a multi-meter

thanks

Pharmhand

richardb
richardb's picture

For AztecFemBone. Here are a couple of pictures of my rear wheel. You wanted them to compare to yours.
RearWheelLeft.jpg
This is the Left side.
RearWheelRight.jpg
This is the right side.
I read your saga, Aztec. Wish I could help.
Dick B

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

Thanks. Mine's the same as yours but not what's currently pictured on the X-treme's Web site nor does it fit with that new brake = I'm still thinking a redesign has taken place. I noticed that the XB-600 brake shown on their Web site matches this one as well. Something's very fishy.

richardb
richardb's picture

Thanks. Mine's the same as yours but not what's currently pictured on the X-treme's Web site ...

I'm not surprised. There are some other inconsistencies on the website, for instance, the motor listed on the website is described as a 400 watt motor, but none of their scooters uses a 400 watt motor.
Dick B

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage