The smoke is coming out the wrong side!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craftkiller
The smoke is coming out the wrong side!

So I've decided to join the deprecated 60v club millyem style (cutting the wire rather than wiring directly to the pack) and well I plugged in the battery and smoke starting coming out of my moped from the front of the moped... opening up the front of it (right under the speedometer) I quickly noticed that a wire has nearly completely burned off its insulation in seconds! despite this being totally awesome, I have no idea what exactly is causing it. The wire has yellow insulation and tracing the wire shows it goes from the controller box over to the left side handle bar (the one with the blinker and highbeams). I also tried disconnecting the black box for the blinkers that has the speaker I ripped apart in it just incase the damage to that speaker caused the burn, but the insulation continued to burn...

Ill post picture later because I want to go to dinner... btw I measured the pack with a volt meter and it read as 60v so I think that means the batteries are hooked up correctly

Craftkiller
Re: The smoke is coming out the wrong side!

So further investigation showed that the wire insulation was destroyed inside the controller box and wrapped around a capacitor... we think that was the short and we're wrapping it in electrical tape to test it before we replace the wire... wish me luck

win32forth
win32forth's picture

There are only two yellow wires I can find on the schematic. One is from the controller to the two brake switches that tell the controller to shut down power to the motor when you squeeze the brake. And, that yellow wire changes to black where it goes through the plug in connector before it actually goes into the controller.
The second is one of the "signal" wires that goes to the motor from the controller.

Is this an XB-600, or an XB-500? The XB-600 controller is under the seat, and I hear the XB-500 controller is up in the front. The schematic I have is for the XB-600 I believe.

I hope whatever it is, isn't too serious,

Tom

Craftkiller

its an XB-600.... we think the controller is fried so we're gonna purchase another one from Lord Arctic Fox.

Right now the theory is that when we discharged the capacitors we didnt leave them in with the ignition on long enough to discharge them completely because there was a small spark when we did the shunt mod... of course the moped worked great with the shunt mod and the turn signal speaker mod for multiple miles before I started the 60v mod.... either way, we're pretty sure we need a new controller so hopefully that'll fix it, until then I have to ride my money-guzzling 33mpg car

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage