Who's really serious about GW?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
deronmoped
Who's really serious about GW?

So I was down at my X's post office today, this is where she works. We were dropping breakfast goodies off for some party they were going to have Monday morning. They start working like 3:00 AM, I would hate to have to get up early enough for that job. She works in the building where they sort (I have seen them throw packages, so always pack everything like it was going to be kicked off the back of a truck) mail and packages. This building is like 5,000 square feet and uninsulated. When I walked in I noticed how nice and cool it was, it was pretty warm outside. No one works there on Sunday, but they run the AC 24/7. My X even complains they leave all the doors open when they are there working, there was even a side door that was open when we showed up.

Something as simple as a programable thermostat would all save us tons of money. Problem is we are the ones paying the electrical bill, not them. I wonder how may Government buildings waste electricity like there is no tomorrow.

Deron.

davew
davew's picture
Re: Who's really serious about GW?

Even in private business I have noticed the same thing. No one is really motivated to think about the big picture. The guy that runs our site has no stake in the electric bill.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Yes this is disappointing. But it also shows what a tremendous amount of potential we have for reducing our energy usage. The trick, as you point out, is to figure out how to make these folks care.

BTW, I'm planning on hooking up a latent evaporation cooling (LEC) system to my house - maybe next year. No, not a swamp cooler or other form of cooling stack. I'm going to put a sprinkler up on the roof. A fine mist of water spraid over the roof will help reduce energy requirements for the A/C (it won't replace A/C but it will reduce it's workload - some say by up to 40% - not too shabby!).

For one such commercial version check out http://www.ecoology.com - the capital costs are high but the energy savings still give a good ROI. Derron - sounds like you're on good terms with your X, she could win serious brownie points with someone if she can find the right person to suggest installing something like this...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

deronmoped

Wow,

That system is so simple, but should be pretty effective, especially on roofs that are over buildings that are not up to insulation standards.

Mother Nature does this too, it's called trees. A deciduous tree (loses it leaves during the winter) planted to block the sun shinning on a house will do wonders. The tree also cools the general area around it by evaporate cooling too. I have trees on the East side, that blocks the morning sun, the only thing I could do on the South and West sides was use Awnings over the windows.

A perfect business would be to set up contracts with these energy wasters. Private industry would be a no brainer, doing work with the government would take someone with connections.

Deron.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage