Will I be disappointed with NiMH?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bohh
Will I be disappointed with NiMH?

Hi all,

I'm going to be getting the Amped Bikes 500W kit. I'm really looking forward to it. But, battery choices are driving me crazy. I can't decide between Nimh or LifePo4. I understand LifePo4 is the "best" but $500.00 seems like a lot for me right now.

I have the opportunity to get a 9AH 36v Nimh from a Giant E suede that is in good condition for around $150.00.

1) I don't know if the battery will cope with a 500w motor vs the E suede's 300w motor.

2) Reading around the net, it sounds like most people are putting down Nimh's as a waste of money now.

Any words of advice? I'm looking to use this daily as a commuter to go about 15 miles round trip. I don't want to be constantly worrying if I am over discharging or damaging my batteries.

Thanks!

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Will I be disappointed with NiMH?

Copied from the ES:

Lightly used and in good health for $200.00. Is this a good deal?

Not by a long shot. 36V/9Ah works out to about $0.61Wh, and thats BEFORE peukert. After factoring that in, I come to about $0.88Whr. That's getting into low-end LiFe prices.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. It seems that everyone is leaning towards the Lfepo4 batteries. But is a 9ah nimh going to be good for me? Is it going to be really set back on any attributes (power, distance, etc?)

It would be better than a 9AH SLA, correct?

The Ampedbike kit will only pull a max of 20 amps going uphill, according to Danny. Will the Giant Battery perform for this requirement? I've read that some batteries just can't do it!

Not if you get decent Ni. Good NiMH/Cd will do 5C or more, meaning that even a 10Ah pack will be able to handle a 50A controller. Thing is, decent Ni will cost you about the same as LiFe.

Since you only need 20A, though, this 36V 15Ah battery from Ping will handle that and should be able to go at least 15 miles. 20 or more if you pedal.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage