S1000 - Convert direct drive to chain drive

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
PDenbigh
S1000 - Convert direct drive to chain drive

So the plague of the S1000's appears to be the direct drive. Since I don't own one, I can't go look at it closely to see how its all put together. However, it would seem that with the right parts, it could be converted to a freewheeling chain drive. Naturally, "the right parts" could be any number of customized things, but for this purpose I was thinking of stock or readily available parts.

Looking at TheSuperKids, http://www.thesuperkids.com/scchgemali.html, there appears to be a sprocket, drive gear, and chain, readily available. The trick is probably how to get the drive gear on the wheel, right?

I may be picking up a used and broken S1000 very soon, and thus why I am interested in this. I can't leave anything alone, and I'm sure it'd get the 1000W motor at 48 volts rather quickly. So, the chain drive would be the way to go.

Thoughts?

andys
andys's picture
Re: S1000 - Convert direct drive to chain drive

I think you need an entire new rear section to convert it, including the rear wheel and motor. Its not just a couple of parts. The new style Stealth fame may even be different in the back where you need to mount stuff. You'd be better off just finding older model (full suspension only)Currie made scooter used that still ran the chain set up. You might be able to use that scooter as a parts scooter to convert the Stealth,(and it still may take some custom fab work) or just upgrade the older scooter for more power. By the way, the Stealth 1000 run at 36V stock does NOT have a true 1000 watt output motor on it. it is more like a 600 watt with maybe 1000 watt peak power. I have a thing about manufacturers misleading people into thinking they are getting more than they actually are. A real 1000 watt motor on a small scooter like that would have twice the performance of the stock Stealth.

PDenbigh

Thanks for the feedback!

I just won a DD S1000 on eBay, minus batteries and the DD is stripped, for $39.99. I figured it's a good start. I'm not afraid to fab stuff, in fact most of the stuff on my race car is custom fabbed do-dads. So, I'll start with that and hopefully a powerpak kit and see where it takes me. If I'm successful (or perhaps even if I fail miserably!) I'll post my results here.

Schwinn/Currie S350

PDenbigh

Success!

I'll post some pictures soon. I'm not really done but I have a successful conversion working!

I took the drivetrain from an s350 that I was already running at 36v. I had to make a "L" bracket and was able to mount the chain case to the S1000's rear lower arm. I then made two adapter plates to step down the hole size so that S350's smaller diameter axle would fit snugly.

I do not yet have brakes in the rear. I am awaiting arrival of a rear wheel with the disc and sprocket attached and I think it'll be a simple plug-and-play install from there.

I rode it all around the neighborhood this evening and it feels great!

Schwinn/Currie S350

dwkennedy

Pics, man, we need those pics! :wink:

I have a rear wheel with sprocket and brake disc, just need a mount/motor/chain.

Anybody know if it is possible to recycle the S1000 direct drive motor with a sprocket for chain drive?

JasonTaylor
JasonTaylor's picture

So the original poster's question remains. How hard to convert to chain? Easier to buy a different scooter and swap parts? Seems so. E-bay has cheap broken scooters for <$100. Comments? Please help.

And, also, how do you overhaul these gears? Is there perhaps a walk-through anywhere? Pictures? There is the youtube video only. I see the cheapest part I can buy to fix a broken gear at like $129 and it includes the motor:

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36vo10wadidr.html

Logic would suggest we replace cheap chinese plastic gears with metal ones. What would I buy here: http://204.186.93.64/PinionsMod1.htm or here http://www.thesuperkids.com/scchgemali.html if I wanted to just change the bad gear?

Any other options? I am sure over the past 3 years most of you have a few opinions/solutions by now. Why would we need to cut/saw something to repair this? Seems odd.

Jason Taylor. Fresh rant each day @ http://twitter.com/jasontaylor7

PDenbigh

My original conversion is still working great. I have almost 600 miles on it. The chain stretches and needs adjusting about ever 100 miles, and I've been through one freewheel motor gear. With my 60 volt setup I can get 29 mph and go almost 30 miles (not at 29mph, I back it off on the hills). If any one is interested, I can work on sending pictures of how I did it.

I would suggest a broken scooter. The conversion requires a chain-drive rear wheel, a chain-drive motor plate, a chain-drive motor, the sprocket of your choice, and one piece of L-bracket to hold the plate, and two pieces of flat metal to help hold the rear wheel in place.

Peter

Schwinn/Currie S350

JasonTaylor
JasonTaylor's picture

Before:
after
During:
xado
After:
after

Jason Taylor. Fresh rant each day @ http://twitter.com/jasontaylor7

Use code&quot;Solar22&quot; and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage