No incentive in Australia

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture
No incentive in Australia

Recieved a pretty letter from then enviroment minister,who was also the minister for transport!!
I was enquiring about tax relief for the Vectrix last year.

of 18April 2007
To Mr peterClarke
conceming the Vectrix electric scooter.

The Australian Government does not provide financial incentives for the purchase of such
vehicles. Rather, the Government seeks to encourage consumer demand for any motor vehicle
with good fuel efficiency and lower greenhouse impact irrespective of the particular technology.
So how do you encourage consumer demand when only an overpaid politician and company fleets stringing along the prototypes that never
make it to market, can afford the new technology

In addition,electric vehicles are not necessarily emission-free as they need to be recharged

from an electricity generation source which may produce its own greenhouse gas emissions.

An electric vehicle could only be considered emission-free if it is powered by electricity

produced from a renewable or carbon-neutral source

Tasmanian power is mostly Hydro and Wind
My house is solar electric powered and IF this vehicle used dirty coal
Is would use 45 cents of power 1500watts at 2 hours of charge, for 100klm of suburban commuting equates to 2 cent per klm DEFINATELY A POLLUTER in the streets (nothing is emission free)

While motorcycles and scooters are an important mode of transport, the Government has

Given priority to improving the performance of the vehicle fleet as it has a greater

Environmental impact.
We the public know why it is impossible to import PLUG IN ELECTRIC cars into Australia
Approximately twenty-four times more passenger .vehicle than motor
Cycles are registered in Australia, and the total annual distance
Traveled by passenger vehicles are over one hundred times more than motorcycles.
The Govemment has taken several key steps towards increasing the fuel efficiency and
Emissions performance of the Australian vehicle fleet.
OK play with figures, the point is ??? one small step in the right direction
Can start the tide…or is that the problem?

A voluntary national average fuel
Consumption target for new passenger vehicles in 2003 was establish between the
Australian Government and the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI)
Voluntary?? You mean you don’t have to do anything
The target was 6.8 L/I00 km for petrol passenger cars by 2010. This was estimated to be an
eighteen per cent improvement in the fuel consumption of new vehicles between 2002 and
TALK… TALK …TALK.. no action
The Government has also progressively tightened fuel quality standards over a number of
years to facilitate the introduction of more efficient engine technologyby vehicle
manufactures and to reduce vehicle air pollution emissions.
To keep us dependent on oil so Gov. can reap their GST.
The word "Environment" is just another vote catcher,

ParliamentHouse,canberraACT 2600 Tet02627i 7640 Fax02 6273 610l

Since January 2004,fuel consumption labelling has been required on all new vehicles up to

3.5 tonnes irrespective of fuel source.This includes cars, four wheel drives and light
commercial vehicles. The label indicates how many litres of fuel the vehicle will use to travel
100 kilometres and the greenhouse per kilometre under a standard simulated
emissions
driving test.

Model-specific information on the fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas emissions of all these
vehicles can beaccessed by the public through the inter net-based GreenVehicle Guide
www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au.

The Guide also provides a rating of the air pollution
emissionsof the vehicle and an overall green vehicle rating against a five-star scale.

These measures have made vehicle manufacturers accountable to the public for the
environmental performance of their vehicles and enables car buyers to reliably compare the
performance of vehicles under identical conditions.

Last year the Council of Australian Governments(COAG)asked the Environment Protection
and Heritage Counciland the Australian Transport Council to examine opportunities to
increase the up take of more fuel efficientand low emission passenger and freight vehicles in
Australia through reform of regulations and new incentives and programmes. Work on
developing specific measures is continuing.

MalcolmTurnbull
Is that a load of waffle, or what?

spinningmagnets
Re: No incentive in Australia

Load of waffle? smalls like rotten vegemite!

I have read that British horse-drawn interests lobbied to get "red flag" laws enacted when automobiles were creating interest back before the year 1900.

They thought that forcing car owners to have a walking pedestrian ahead of them on public roads waving a red flag to "warn" that a car was coming might deter some potential enthusiasts from buying one of the new machines.

The result? while cars were booming in The US (Oldsmobile, Studebaker, Buick, etc), the most common cars in England were expensive luxury cars (Rolls, etc) which could be driven on a large private estate.

If the Australian government was asking me for advice, I'd suggest an aggressive program of encouraging new businesses that designed and built the newest styles of E-bikes, E-scooters, E-moto's, etc.

Australia's e-bike low-Watt limit is silly, and nobody has yet begun selling a bolt-on conversion kit to make a common small car an EV.

moccasin
moccasin's picture
Re: No incentive in Australia

In addition,electric vehicles are not necessarily emission-free as they need to be recharged from an electricity generation source which may produce its own greenhouse gas emissions.

I think this is where the Vectrix really shines. I hear all this talk about "swapping one problem for another" with the use of electric vehicles, but the pennies per day of electricity that it takes to run a Vectrix can be SAVED by the implementation of a few simple tactics around the house. Changing to energy saving flourescent bulbs, adding a few timers to appliances that don't need to run constantly, unplugging appliances that rarely get used, and just adjusting the temperature by one degree can all more than make up for what it takes to charge a Vectrix daily.

The thing is, we can conserve gas, and reduce the rate at which we deplete it, or we can conserve electricity and run our vehicles at no additional cost to the planet. We WASTE way more of the grid than it would take to power our vehicles!

Here's a tiny example: the peripherals that I use at my computer draw 3 cents per day of electricity, even if I never use them, just by being plugged in and in standby mode. Many other household gadgets (VCR, DVD Player, TV in the spare bedroom, etc.) continue to draw current, even when turned off. UNPLUG THEM and ride your Vectrix for free! Install a timer on your water heater and save enough to charge all your neighbor's Vectrixes too!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage