eGo brake/tail light problem and replacement of fixture

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
eGo-Buddy
eGo brake/tail light problem and replacement of fixture

Hi,

We have an eGo Cycle 2 LX and generally love it. The problem with this vehicle is that it is a rigid, and so the brake/tail light gets too much jarring from the road. I have broken (not burned out) two bulbs (the filaments) in the past 2-3 years. egovehicles.com wants $10.00 per bulb, which I view as patently ridiculous. The whole bike runs on a 24 volt system, and, of course, the bulbs are near impossible to find in the US. It would be less expensive for me to order a pack of 10 from the UK.

I am interested in a better solution, namely a conversion to a two-bulb system so I can use 12 volt 1157's or LEDs. Can anyone recommend a supplier for the tail light housing to accommodate this conversion? The existing housing has a side-mounted bulb, so I cannot simply install a 24 volt LED unit.

Thanks,
Chuck

eGo-Buddy
Re: eGo brake/tail light problem and replacement of fixture

Since no one has replied to this message, I am posting my own reply, based on a comment from Aerowhatt in the "Is the eGo LX is a good choice?" thread. I think the idea of an LED bulb is great, but the down side is that the only place to get 24 volt LED bulbs appears to be Australia. The price is right, at $15.40 plus $11.50 shipping.

Also, the reason a red LED is needed vs. white is shown in the spectra on the wikipedia page (). White LEDs are primarily blue, with comparatively little emission in the red (650 nm) range, whereas red LEDs are, well, red.

I think I'll order mine right now.

eGo-Buddy wrote:

We have had our 2006 eGO LX for a couple of years and really like. One issue we have is the breaking of the filaments of the brake/tail lamp, which is not rubber-mounted and so takes any and all bumps the road can deliver. At $10/bulb, this is an unacceptable situation. I am looking into replacing the rear light housing with one that will handle two 12 volt bulbs or LED units.

The best solution I have found is a 24volt LED globe. It's a drop in replacement for the original bulb but of three of them we have running there have been no problems. It's just as bright (if not Brighter) than the incandesant and much more durable. Plus lower power drain as well. Below is a link to the product page. the item number is BAY15D2436LR. Yes, you do want red LED's eventhough you have a red lens. The red ones are brighter than if you were to buy white. It doesn't make sense on it's face but just trust me!

http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/LEDReplacementGlobes.html

Aerowhatt

ambroseliao
ambroseliao's picture
Re: eGo brake/tail light problem and replacement of fixture

Hi eGo-Buddy,

Have you thought about the eGo LED tail light assembly? It's a huge LED based tail light that is incredibly bright.

Tail Light, circular LED [470-7001]

Ambrose

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage