Vectrix & Extension Cords

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Vectrix & Extension Cords

I'm listening to episode 68 of the EV Cast.. very interesting show. Anyway..

http://www.evcast.com/members/evcast/blog/VIEW/00000001/00000081/EVcast-68-Interview-with-Danny-Fleet.html

Towards the end they got official feedback from Vectrix about using an extension cord. Use a 20 amp heavy duty cord. And if you use a timer it needs to be a 15A model. You Vectrix owners are supposed to be getting an email and updated owners manual.

DaveD
DaveD's picture
Re: Vectrix & Extension Cords

Thanks for sharing that link, reikiman. The Vectrix feedback starts just after the 50 minute mark.

Morrison

It seems like they have approved a longer extension cord for up to 25 feet. But they don't want it coiled at all while charging. So I guess that we have to try to do some S curves on the ground when using it.

I wonder if it is OK to coil the installed Vectrix cord while charging. I typically leave the Vectrix cord inside of my Vectrix and only allow the extension cord to exit, thus to limit the potential for the Vectrix cord being damaged by anyone.

Hermes

Errmmmm

The day I buy my Vectrix I will have to use an extension cord from my bedroom (I'm on the second floor) 14m long.... am I to understand this will cause problems?

moccasin
moccasin's picture

The day I buy my Vectrix I will have to use an extension cord from my bedroom (I'm on the second floor) 14m long.... am I to understand this will cause problems?

A good, heavy duty extension cord and a tight connection is just as good as the wiring in your house. Just spend a few bucks and buy one specifically for using on the Vectrix. Get one no longer than it has to be, and make sure it's rated for 20 amp use, and if at all possible, run it from a circuit that won't be used for other things (like kitchen appliances, heaters, etc, so maximum amperage is always available (lights don't really use much juice). Make sure the plug and receptacle are in excellent shape and a good tight fit (a major source of electrical malfunctions and fire is poor fitment at the receptacle) and make sure the connection at the bike end is out of the weather.

Hermes

Thanks Moccasin

That's very good advice, when the time comes I shall ask the chief electrician at work to craft one for me based on those guidelines. (I think it'd be hard to find one in the shops the right length, amp etc etc..)

H

Wotnopetrol

Errmmmm

Where are you based Hermes?

In the UK, as we have 220v-240v, the amps drawn are lower, only 7.5 amps peak. Our household sockets are rated at 13 amps @ 220v-240v.

My extension cable is 15 metres long and rated at the full 13 amps as it is a power tool rated one which has rubber plug and socket, nice for the rough and tumble world of Vectrix charging, it works fine, used unravelled of course to prevent any chance of it heating up.

There must be a quite bit of leeway with these extension cables as I was erroneously using a 5 amp extension, albeit only 5 metres long, for the first few charges with no apparent heating of the cable at all.

I have to say, it scares me when I look at the thickness of the Vectrix power cord! I'm glad I don't have to carry around an extension cable of any length in that spec!!!

Simon.

Simon

Buzby
Buzby's picture

The issue you have will be the connector - to avoid soneone unplugging it you will have to keep the Vextrix cable within the confines of the seat, which also means it will remain coiled, which isn't ideal. On the plus side the plug/socket combo will remain watertight under the seat, and should never be suspended from a window. I'd suggest you look at a lockable box to fit a waterproof 13a socket that can keep the vectrix plug captive, making the cable down the wall semi-permanent.

- Raymond

Mik
Mik's picture

The cable only coils 2 1/2 times under the seat. I do not believe that would matter much.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I didn't need an extension cord that long - and I couldn't find a heavy-duty cord that was shorter - so I just cut it off and put a new female connector on the end. I cut it to be only 8 feet for a total of 16 feet. It seems to be plenty long enough for me.
Vectrix-cord.jpg

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Looking at the picture, I only see an open invitation for someone to unplug the connector simply because they can. You'd be surprised at the number of folk to think it a 'joke' so the new Elektrobay charging posts that prevent any plug removal is the only trusted charging source for an unattended boost.

- Raymond

undead

Here in the UK there are a lot of petty vehicle damage issues - cars are keyed all the time and a lot of the youths that hang around various places will simply interefere with something because it is different.

For this reason, I will only charge my vectrix in my garage, or somewhere that I can see it or lock it in an enclosed space.

I could just see some ****wit cutting the cord or something for a "joke"

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I don't see cord-cutting as a major issue. Firstly the Vectrix cable may well be dislikes due to it's diameter, but it looks the business and anyone planning to hack through it might think twice Add to this cutting a live cord (as clearly it is just asking for electrocution) is a fair barrier to such conduct - but a plug into a socket...? It just begs to be tampered with by possibly jealous individuals.

When using the Electrobay posts, I came across someone trying to remove the plug from the post, and when challenged said it was idle curiosity as he assumed if the bike became unplugged it could be stolen (clearly not thinking it through) but with both the post and seat captive there was nothing short of a live cable snip would anyone do anything untoward. I've never had a problem in coming back to an unplugged bike, but I'm sure in the situation if the photograph, this would be a very common occurrence.

- Raymond

Mik
Mik's picture

I didn't need an extension cord that long - and I couldn't find a heavy-duty cord that was shorter - so I just cut it off and put a new female connector on the end. I cut it to be only 8 feet for a total of 16 feet. It seems to be plenty long enough for me.
Vectrix-cord.jpg

Park the other way around. I bet the cable is long enough for it.

undead

I don't see cord-cutting as a major issue. Firstly the Vectrix cable may well be dislikes due to it's diameter, but it looks the business and anyone planning to hack through it might think twice Add to this cutting a live cord (as clearly it is just asking for electrocution) .

Good points.

Overruled however by the amount of complete and total utter retarded morons in my county however :(

Wotnopetrol
I don't see cord-cutting as a major issue. Firstly the Vectrix cable may well be dislikes due to it's diameter, but it looks the business and anyone planning to hack through it might think twice Add to this cutting a live cord (as clearly it is just asking for electrocution) .

Good points.

Overruled however by the amount of complete and total utter retarded morons in my county however :(

Not being funny, but cutting the cable and causing death to the retarded moron (as much as we'd perhaps secretly like to have it happen to some scumbag thief) may be only the beginning of big problems.

In the increasing compensation culture world I'd not be surprised to hear of a lawsuit because no sign was present warning of danger of death if the charging cable was cut.

Mad I know, but I hear that in some countries, microwave ovens have to have instructions stating that wet pets must NOT be dried inside the oven.

I heard of that perhaps apocryphal story of the guy who broke into a house to steal the TV and slipped on a polished floor whilst carrying off the telly, and the house owners got sued for damages.

Also in that picture there is a “serious” trip hazard which someone could try to “take advantage of.” In the UK, if we sign up for free parking/charging, we get a bright yellow spring coil extension cable supplied with the deal, presumably to keep the cable off the ground to minimise the trip hazard.

Sorry, amongst other things, I’m a health and safety officer at my work. I have to look out for this kind of stuff all the time.

Simon

moccasin
moccasin's picture

In the increasing compensation culture world I'd not be surprised to hear of a lawsuit because no sign was present warning of danger of death if the charging cable was cut.

I was in a Jury pool once, and the attorneys announced to us that the case involved an individual that was suing the DeWalt (construction equipment) company because he cut his finger off on a radial saw. He was suing because there was no warning sign on the 20 year old industrial saw stating that the operator should keep his fingers out from under the blade.

When I heard that, I said out loud "You've got to be kidding me!". I was immediately struck from the jury pool, which I dearly wanted to be a part of, and was excused from the court. I found out later that the plaintiff dropped his case just before it went to trial. Who knows, I might have had a bit of influence over the court that day! HAHA!! :-)

Wotnopetrol

Who knows, I might have had a bit of influence over the court that day! HAHA!! :-)

HAHA! Brilliant!

Simon

Mik
Mik's picture

Not being funny, but cutting the cable and causing death to the retarded moron (as much as we'd perhaps secretly like to have it happen to some scumbag thief) may be only the beginning of big problems.

I park the Vectux rear end against the charging point so walking through is impossible. No tripping, either.
By law each newly installed power point must be protected by a RCD, the thief should therefore be fine (Depends on local laws, of course)!

Mad I know, but I hear that in some countries, microwave ovens have to have instructions stating that wet pets must NOT be dried inside the oven.

So dry ones can be warmed up, that's good, the poor little pooch gets so cold in the winters....LOL

Someone is always too stupid!

Wotnopetrol

So dry ones can be warmed up, that's good, the poor little pooch gets so cold in the winters....LOL

Someone is always too stupid!

HAHA! yes, perhaps, but I'm sure the instructions were subtly worded in such a way as to cover themselves for that eventuality too. Like "DON'T PUT PETS IN THE OVEN STOOPID"

Simon

dc-ev

Don't know if anyone is still monitoring this string, but has anyone in the US found a 20amp extension cord that fits a standard US 110v outlet (of the three prong variety)? My new Vectrix is arriving today, and I just discovered the 20amp rule yesterday. Every 20amp cord I've found so far (both on and offline) has a different prong configuration that requires a special outlet box. I am looking for some solution for charging my Vectrix short of rewiring my house. Thanks.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Keep it short and make it heavy and she'll carry the load. I charge my V with a 25 foot 12 guage cord that I bought from Lowe's. 20 amp plugs are normally NOT the common household variety, but you can do fine with a heavy guage 15 amp cord as long as it isn't a long one.

You might also check any RV/Camper supply places in your area for heavy cords, but generally if they are rated for 20 amps, they will have the "T" configuration to the prongs.

Mik
Mik's picture

Don't know if anyone is still monitoring this string, but has anyone in the US found a 20amp extension cord that fits a standard US 110v outlet (of the three prong variety)? My new Vectrix is arriving today, and I just discovered the 20amp rule yesterday. Every 20amp cord I've found so far (both on and offline) has a different prong configuration that requires a special outlet box. I am looking for some solution for charging my Vectrix short of rewiring my house. Thanks.

You do not need the heavier duty prongs.
The problem is that the resistance of cable is proportional to its length. The longer the cable, the more resistance, the more voltage drop. Then the charger draws higher currents to compensate and gets damaged.

Just buy heavy duty cable and get an electrician to attach whatever plugs you need on the ends!

Coiling the chord up is a more complex issue and the problem does not get solved by using stronger cables.

Don't make the cable much too long!

R
R's picture

In Barcelona sometimes we use 25 meters extension cord to recharge our vectrixs without any heating problem. I'm quite astonished to discover that there's some parts in the world which is still using ancient 110v. I suggest you upgrade your electric instalation to 240v, at least, the specific electric line you use to recharge the Vectrix. Current intensity will be reduced from 14-16 amp h to 7-8 ampers hour, the charger will work far better.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

It's now 230v (nominal). Mainland Europe was 220, and UK 240v. This changed 5 years ago with Europe inceasig theirs, and UK decreasing their nominal supply voltage.

- Raymond

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

We'd change in the US as well - but the copper mining lobby would likely block it... ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage