Dual motor kits, still available?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ramma
Dual motor kits, still available?

Hi, I have a Currie Lightning FS scooter from some time ago I'm looking to repair and upgrade. In the upgrade I was hoping to be able to get a dual motor kit but haven't had luck finding one. The website where I saw them last, almost three years ago, doesn't sell them anymore. Does anyone know if these kits are still available and where from? Also a ruff estimate of the total cost for the upgrade would be nice if anyone knows.

Thanks for any help!

Ramma
Re: Dual motor kits, still available?

Couldn't figure out how to edit the post above, and I have yet another question.

Is there any options which would preform just as well as a dual motor kit with a single motor? I read a few things about different single motor setups producing 1500 watts and reaching speeds of 30+ MPH. Any tips would be great, thanks.

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

I had the same idea when I first picked-up my GT Shockwave from Craigslist. Couldn't find a kit anywhere! If you really need to go dual, you will have to make your own. Motor plate is probably the biggest challenge. Tim at PowerPackMotors may have some of the components of the original kits.

I finally decided that one good PowerPack motor and controller were a better way to go than building parts for the dual. I'd still like to try it someday. I have (2) brand new 400W Kollmorgens just sitting here in foam.

Anyway, the PowerPack option would be simple to do and gets you rolling with a smile sooner, and can easily handle 48V.

You're gonna want more juice...

Ramma

About how fast does the PowerPack motor kit get ya? I'm looking to get my scooter going a decent speed, while being able to ride a 15 mile commute fairly regularly. Any idea if that kit can handle it?

andys
andys's picture

The dual motor kits make a lot of torque and have great acceleration, but it is a difficult install even if you could find the now discontued kits. The powerpack kit works very good as a single motor and is a good deal for an easy plug and go upgrade. To get a long range, a 20AH LIFEPO4 is needed. My scooter will hit 30 MPH with that kit and a 48V 20AH Ping Battery. I can go over 20 miles on a charge averaging over 20 MPH. The battery box needs some work to fit the needed 48Volt power source.

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

I didn't see any "speed claims" on www.powerpackmotors.com but I did find some on this site:

http://www.thesuperkids.com/600wahspsuto.html

I believe it is the same motor. Claims of 30+mph.

The PowerPack motor and controller can probably handle 15 miles, but what are you using for batteries? You need 48V to get 30mph and lots and lots of Ah's to get the range. You'll never get both with SLA's. I just don't think you could stuff enough lead on that small frame. Four 12Ah are going to be a tight fit in a new deeper battery pan for my Shockwave. I'm not trying to commute with mine however. In fact, I think the Currie 12" scooters are fun and easily modable (except the Stealth) and are perfect for trips around the neighborhood, getting a couple bags of groceries, walking the dog, etc. Just seems to me that a half hour ride on a scooter that size at 30mph would be uncomfortable and tiring. But then, thats coming from the perspective of an old man who doesn't want to go fast and break things (parts of me).

Is looking for a different ride out of the question?

Ramma

At the moment I only have 2 12V batteries I bought a year back when I first wanted to fix my scooter. I have no clue what the Ah's are on them or really anything, just went and got the cheapest I could from the only battery store that had any. If I were to buy the PowerPack motor kit I'd buy new batteries.

Other ride ideas aren't out of the question, but price is a big factor. The total upgrade for kit plus 4 new batteries would run me just over 500 it seems(Almost as much as a whole new scooter :/), so something around or even a bit more bought new might work. Honestly I'll look into all ideas for a good one-two person commuter, I'm so tired of using gas yet my parents aren't to into the whole EV thing because they find it very limiting range and speed wise.

Thanks for your help so far by the way! :D

Ramma

One question to ad here, thought it would be inconsiderate to post a full new topic regarding it.

I'm looking to put in a key ignition, so I went to check my current switch ignition. When I got it out I was extremely confused weather it is a 2, 3, or 4 wire ignition which are the options I have from http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/switches1.html . There were 4 wires on mine, but they were twisted together in sets of two (one bit, one small) and attached to what looked like a 4 connector across two connectors each. That's about as well as I can explain it, but I have some not so great pictures I took. I had a little trouble with the camera so sorry about the quality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/thisisnotablog/dsc_0025.jpg?t=1221015625

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/thisisnotablog/dsc_0029-1.jpg?t=1221015627

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

I think they're called "flag" connectors.

All you need is a 2-wire switch. All you're doing is switching the main positive lead that runs from the battery to the controller/motor. Three and four wire switches would be for lights, etc. If you are going to upgrade to 48V, make sure any new switch can handle the voltage and amps.

In your pic, on the "battery" side of the switch, you have one large wire coming from the battery pack, and a small wire going to the charge jack (I'm pretty sure - you may want to check). On the controller side of the switch, you have a large wire going to the motor/controller, and a small wire going to the pilot light. You should find one or two small black wires that are spliced into the battery pack harness and run up the frame tube to the charge jack and pilot light. The black wires are not involved in the switch at all.

Ramma

I pulled the wires out as far as I could manage, cutting some small slashes in them thanks to jagged frame edges, but it looks like you're right. The small wires coming off of each big one go to another connector which ads a small black wire on the same side of the connector, and a black and a red wire on the opposite side of the connector. I could tell one went to the small power light at least.

Plan now is to order the switch and hope I can figure out how to connect it once it arrives. :P

Thanks again for the help!

1funa
edited, thanks, -Ed

edited, thanks, -Ed

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot