XM-3000 or XM-3500?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sundog
Sundog's picture
XM-3000 or XM-3500?

I bought a XB-600 for my wife a couple of months ago with the idea that if I liked it, I'd get myself one. I modded it to run at 60 volts and at that voltage, it's definitely a fun little machine. However, I'm about six and a half feet tall and 230 pounds and feel like I'm trying to ride a pocket bike, and it just feels a bit dangerous riding those little wheels that fast, so I am going to get myself either a XM-3000 or a XM-3500.

I have followed the discussions here closely but would welcome some direct comparisons. My thinking is as follows: it appears that the battery technology of the 3500 is far from mature and that even people who are using charge balancers are having some problems. (Fair or not?) If I got the 3500 I would immediately put a charge balancing unit on it. On the 3000 side, it's FAR cheaper, I am used to maintaining SLA batteries and could probably make them last, plus I am thinking that when new battery technology appears it would be a snap to retrofit.

Then there's the size issue; how much bigger is the 3500 than the 3000? Will I still feel cramped on a 3000?

Anyone who got a 3000 and wishes they had got the 3500, or vice versa? Any data will be appreciated.

zarlor
Re: XM-3000 or XM-3500?

I don't own either, although I have an XM-3500Li on order (probable delivery around the end of this month, I think.) But John did a comparison post on the main "Motorcycles and large Scooters" forum that covers some of that info. Look at http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4618-comparing-xm3000-xm3500-efund-vectrix-amp-vino-part-one and see if that helps some. It sounds like the 3500 is more comfortable for those of us in the 6'+ crowd but I can't say for certain.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA

Sundog
Sundog's picture

Many thanks, I will check that out.

sparc5
sparc5's picture

I have zero buyer's remorse with my XM-3000.

For my needs, it's perfectly adequate, however on occasion I'd like to have some better range, at full speed city driving you'll probably get ~17 miles before the batteries are 80% drained. It's bad for longevity of the batteries do discharge them more then that.

I am 6' and it is indeed uncomfortable with my knees inside the scooter and I wish I could stretch out my legs on long rides. I can sit on the back seat and kinda do it.

If you factor in the cost 3ish changes of lead acid batteries for each change of lithium, the cost savings goes down dramatically. It's also comforting to know you can let it sit around without a full charge with no concern you're harming your batteries. I have a lithium pack coming on Halloween that I'll put in parallel or perhaps in place of the lead acid, with that in place I'll have an ideal scooter.

The GreenBMS is coming along, slower than planned, work has been killing me and there are a lot of unforeseen design challenges to make the units dependable enough I'd trust other people to use it on their expensive equipment.

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

Sundog
Sundog's picture

I am 6' and it is indeed uncomfortable with my knees inside the scooter and I wish I could stretch out my legs on long rides. I can sit on the back seat and kinda do it.

That's what worries me. I'm nearly 6'6" so if you're 6' and feeling cramped then I probably will feel even more so.

Leaning more and more towards the 3500, despite the (apparently) uncertain nature of the battery system.

eped

Hey Sundog - as far as size I think you would feel right at home on the XM-3500. I am 5'6" and I barely reach the ground with my feet sitting on it (it is almost too big for me). If you are 6'6" and say your legs are 6" longer you should be comfortable.

Green electric power and use thereof; what more do we need?

Sundog
Sundog's picture

Thanks Eped. I'm fixating more and more on this bike. I think that's where my tax refund will be going at the beginning of the year...

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Sundog - at 6'6" the XM-3500Li is definitely the better choice size wise. At 5'6" I prefer the XM-3000 - but it's not only from a "fit" perspective (I also ride a Suzuki VStrom DL-1000 which has an even higher seat height). I find the smaller bike more fun - as PJD said on another thread "Slow is beautiful" ;-)

If you buy an XM-3500Li make sure you check out all the information and listen to all sides of the discussion. I still think buying an XM-3500Li is a reasonable decision to make given the current choices. I'd be happy to answer any of your specific questions.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage