jyracing
jyracing's picture
cell phone video test
LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: cell phone video test

Nice. Except for the cell phone video quality part. :P

Taken it for a ride yet?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Hey Link,
That video was with the two little motors at 24V with an on/off switch. Just trying to figure out how to post vids.
No riding yet. Finally got all the motor mounts finished today. I cut the chain and mounted it. I made videos with the GC motor at 12V 2A/40A/200A. Trying to put them on utube then link them here. Sorry for the blurry vids, I have to remember to not move. For some reason the noise is twice as loud on video as it is in person.
Left side

Right side

12v 2a gc test with battery charger

12v 40a gc test with battery charger

12v 200a gc test with battery charger

I set them as Public on utube
Two questions about posting vids:
1. Not sure if I should post all the vids here individually or somehow post one link to all of them? Or like this? http://www.youtube.com/v/iNj1FSuCby8
2. Is there a way I can resize them smaller so they are clearer? Utube doubles their size.

I had to modify the subframe (seat frame) tonight. The vertical struts on the seat frame were hitting the motor and housing, so I cut and moved them. Had to raise the seat frame up a bit, 2", to make sure I have plenty of swingarm travel clearance. No controller yet either. I am cutting off the battery frame tomorrow and starting over now that I have all the extra room at the bottom of the frame since the little motors are gone. Now I have room for 4 12V/125AH tank batteries :)

Phase Two is coming along. Want to post the progress but I dont feel like fighting with anyone about the way I am building it. Im shy ;)

You said you wanted a GC drivetrain?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230288918973
JY

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

LOL, I noticed that, too. One of my videos I put a warning on because of it. XD

Links are easier on page load times (not the full screen ones; they're kind of annoying, I find), but I prefer embedding them like normal if there's only a few.

I don't think you can resize them. At least, I've never noticed a way to. :/

Hmm...Good combo of parts. I'm betting that it will go for well over $200, and I just won a laptop for that much the other day. Plus I also got a truing stand (waiting for that to get here) and a small supply of CO2 cartridges for my new airsoft guns. But I just got paid, so I'll keep my eye on it, anyway. ;)

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

jyracing
jyracing's picture

awes.jpg
How many LifeP04s will fit in a 22"x13-1/2" battery box? I already know three 12V/125AH tank batteries will fit.
awh.jpg

Hey, do you know if they make 0-5K pot half or full twist throttles? I have a 0-5V half twist but I am looking at a controller that doesnt use volts on the throttle.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Dunno. My preferred way of figuring out how many batteries you can fit is usually CAD (cardboard aided design :P). Get the dimensions of the cells you're looking at, make up a some cardboard boxes the same size, and see how many work.

As for the throttle, Magura makes full-twist 5k pot throttles. Here's one. The seller is a member of Endless-Sphere, too. I got my batteries from him (BMS issues he didn't want to deal with). :)

reikiman
reikiman's picture

awes.jpg

You're one hip cat to dig electric bikes, but isn't that bike a little big for you?

jyracing
jyracing's picture

LMAO
This is how he stands when we ride.
awds.jpg
I pack his can of cream corn and a bottle of water in the rear rack bag and hes good for the day.
Here he is inspecting my future battery area...
awc.jpg
If I could strap him in there, i would have a CV?

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Oh boy, Arts and Crafts time. 13"Lx7"Wx9"H each. Gonna need a refrigerator box for CAD. If I cut the bottom of the double-sided facade tank, I can put the 4th batt crossways on top of the bottom three. 48V!!!
I like the way the Honda Gold Wing saddle bag bars worked out as battery protection and the lower frame.
Thats a nice throttle. Thanks! I keep getting outbid at the last second for 0-5V controllers. Bout ready to give up and get a 0-5K or 5K-0 3W. The Magura is 0-5K. Do you know the difference in these two types?

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

There's no difference in the throttle, just how it's wired to the controller. The + and - wires are reversed on a controller with 5k-0 input.

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Dats what I wuz thinkin'... Just switch the leads. You are a Rhodes Scholar young Mr Link.

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Hey Guys,
I finally won a controller. It was in a package deal on ebay for $145. A used Curtis solid state controller 400 amp 24 - 36 volt model 1205-112 serial #99188 with potentiometer and white brothers solenoid Curtis400a24-36v1205-112whitebrossole.jpg
The rating on the controller is 1 and 5 minutes @ 400A, 1 hour @ 175A, UVC 16V
If 48V@400A/746W=25.7HP, then 36V@400A/746=19.3HP?
I'm curious to know what will happen with a 36V controller and batteries, on a 48V motor?
Now that I have the foot throttle, I'm thinking of using it for now. Kinda like a thumb throttle or maybe under my right foot?

Heres my wiring design, after looking at an Alltrax and Curtis No Reverse wiring setup.
Not sure about the diodes and 250 Ohm resistor. If the motor runs backwards, I just swap S1 and S2, i.e., M- to S2 and S1 to A2.
My36Vwiring.jpg

I finally weighed the batteries. They are (only) 56 pounds each.

Heres a few pics after the paint job, except for the rear gold anodized wheel. My color scheme turned out to be red and silver. I have since added the other two batteries and cables
sbs.jpg
se.jpg
shs.jpg
sg.jpg
Its only 22" wide
sis.jpg
Whatcha think?

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

The rating on the controller is 1 and 5 minutes @ 400A, 1 hour @ 175A, UVC 16V
If 48V@400A/746W=25.7HP, then 36V@400A/746=19.3HP?

Yeah, but the batteries are going to sag a lot at 400A. It should have a fair bit of go power on that, though, even if it is heavy. Figure it weighs around 250lbs?

I'm curious to know what will happen with a 36V controller and batteries, on a 48V motor?

It just won't spin as fast.

Now that I have the foot throttle, I'm thinking of using it for now. Kinda like a thumb throttle or maybe under my right foot?

Eh...I dunno. Might be kind of hard to keep it in one spot on a bumpy road.

Not sure about the diodes and 250 Ohm resistor.

The diode suppresses the voltage spike you get when the coil of the relay gets shut off. Keeps it from possibly harming any sensitive components. It's a good idea to have one, since a suitable diode would only be like $1.

The resistor is used to precharge the controller. If you don't have it, there will be a huge inrush current to the controller that could wear out the relay's contacts pretty quickly. With it, it slowly charges up the capacitors in the controller, eliminating the damage to the contactor. Again, a good idea, since it's like a $0.25 part.

Whatcha think?

Nice. ;)

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Hey Link! How's school? Will the S-Go be on the road this weekend? That battery box is incredible.

Yeah, but the batteries are going to sag a lot at 400A.

I wouldn't be flooring it all the time like you crazy S-Go riders :) Just short blasts to get going and go up hills. The thing I am most curious about testing is how long the batteries will last while riding. The undervolt cutoff is 16V. Is that at 24V and/or 36V?Thats an average of 5.3V each when the controller shuts down. Too hard on the Batts at that low V.

Figure it weighs around 250lbs?

I dont know how much it weighs. I'm curious. Tomorrow I will slide a digital bathroom scale under it, without the batteries.

It just won't spin as fast.

Thats good. It says it spins 4200 RPMs. Is that at 48V and 133A? Is that with no load or the max RPMs at a load of 400A too?
So, 1/4 less RPM at 36V... 3150 RPMS. That calcs to 46.85 MPH, but it sounds like with the weight and wind resistance it will never get there. If it does, the batteries will be dead in a few seconds anyway.

Might be kind of hard to keep it in one spot on a bumpy road

Thumb throttle then.
So the diode gradually shuts down the power to the controller and the resistor bypasses the contractor with a small amount of juice. Diodes and resistors are a must then. I saw one contactor that has the diode built in. I haven't found any info on a White Brothers solenoid yet.
What size fuse should I run? 400A? 450A? Are AC and DC fuses the same if the AMP rating is the same? Can I run a 600V/400A fuse?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage