Advice on a Pedal First BL-36 Controller

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture
Advice on a Pedal First BL-36 Controller

Hi,

I just bought a used BL-36 400W pedal-first setup locally --without battery, and have since ordered a 48V LifePO4 battery from ping. It should be here by winter :)

I popped open the controller and the big capacitors are all 50V. I think a fully charged Life is ~58V, well over the cap rating. I'm not sure what the FETs are rated at, but probably similar. Bottom line, I think she may blow up if I connect the new battery (previous battery was 36V NiMH, 8ah).

I like the pedal first setup (safe, reduces big current draw at takeoff), but don't want smoke. Can anyone recommend another controller that would drop in? I talked to Dennis at Bernson's and he doesn't think the new 36V 50A controller will work with the 400W motor...

Any advice, links, etc. arwe much appreciated. Thanks!

Scotty

whome
Re: Advice on a Pedal First BL-36 Controller

Well, I am new to the game, but I would agree that the new WE 50a controller probably won't work with any of the older hub motors. It only has three wires from the controller to the motor.

I ordered the Crystalite 36-72v 20a instant start controller from ComCycleUSA to modify to work with the BL-36.

I read on the forums for weeks before I finally ordered the WE BL-36 and all of the information I learned and based my decisions assumed a hall sensor would be involved. I am not sure how this new sensorless controller works, but it screwed up my plans. I had even picked out and ordered another controller to use when I ramped up the voltage beyond what was known to work with the stock WE controller. I guess I will have to break new ground myself and see what this new controller will handle. I will be opening up the controller soon to see what voltage components are rated inside once I establish my 48volt routine.

Whome

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

The new WE 50A controller, like my pedal-first controller has 3 wires too. I was just going by what Dennis at Bernson said, that he didn't think it would work because one is pedal-first, the new one is instant start. I don't know either how they do it without hall sensors, but I'm sure there's a way. Maybe the circulate current thru all the windings until they get back emf, then they know the correct sequence. Seems possible...

The way I see it I have several options:

1. Try the old controller at 48V and see if she blows up.
2. Modify the old controller with 50V caps and possibly different FETs (major surgery)
3. Buy a new controller. Maybe this one (controller #4): http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6352
4. Start over with a new hub motor and sell the 400W pedal first....

Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward option 3.

whome

Well I just popped open the controller for my BL-36 which is 2 weeks old. The new controller only has 50v caps in it. I have been riding to work the past two days on 48v nicads. When fully charged they are around 56-57v. Not much use, but everything looked good inside. No obvious overheating.

How many wires does your motor have?

Whome

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

Well I just popped open the controller for my BL-36 which is 2 weeks old. The new controller only has 50v caps in it. I have been riding to work the past two days on 48v nicads. When fully charged they are around 56-57v. Not much use, but everything looked good inside. No obvious overheating.

How many wires does your motor have?

Whome

I am surprised, a little. 50V caps. I know it's a 36V system, so 50V caps should provide adequate overhead. Still, I know a lot of people have been running the new kits at 48V (58V fully charged LifePo4) and have not had any problems. Are you sure yours is a new kit?

My controller has three wires: Yellow, Blue, and White (going from memory).

Do you think I should try the old controller at 48V? (option 1)

whome

Well, I am pretty sure it is new. I know it is new to me. I've only had it 2 weeks and it was shipped to me new in the box. I have been emailing with Knuckles and I have learned that this controller has the new board in it that works with the brushless motors without hall snesors. Sensorless controller board. I am going with option 1 though because I must have more power. I need more power.

Whome

whome

If you plan on buying a new controller anyway, then I don't suppose you have anything to loose by trying the old controller at 48v.

Whome

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage