:? Ok yes Im new but seriously how does it work I mean really laments terms as I am a lay person not to be confused with lame

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Newbieman5
:? Ok yes Im new but seriously how does it work I mean really laments terms as I am a lay person not to be confused with lame

Hello :? Sorry for any typos or run ons the grammar checks at work lol and theres no time clock on my PC
I think I'm about to do this 3500 purchase. Im sorry but Im not giving up my F150 but I think offsetting my Eco foot print is my pick.lol sorry one step @ a time, Im working on it my green fellows.
anyway so i am damn interested in the bike and e-bikes in general, and I'm a bit of a shade tree mechanic got a sport-bike also, so I'm not too intimidated by the hands on mechanical aspect but I do want uptime most if not all time, I'm not gonna lie. But just in case I'm asking, in principle how does it all work?, lament terms please
1st the Motor how does it do it? (fair dust aside sorry & not a electrical guru like u guys and the ladies on the board) BTW I think your post are dynamite you have a very mature board and community thanks for having it.
2nd Hall sensors keep hearing about them. What are they? What do they do? If anybody knows How has quality/reliability improvement been on most frequent shipments
3rd who wants my biz just kidding unless u wanna make a deal }:) but seriously it will probally be someone in here I like the dialog.
Let me say sorry in advance if this has been covered or is a stupid question please don't trash me too bad I complimented the board and hey I'm new?lol

Thanks in advance for your help

Keep up the good fight

curious george :)

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
How does it work?

Hi Curious George (I love that signature)

I'll take a stab at this to see if I can describe it in a way that makes sense to you - feel free to tell me if I missed the mark. Here goes:

Your first question is a bit vague - here's my attempt at an answer:

On a gas bike you have fuel (gasoline), fuel storage (a gas tank), a motor (internal combustion engine), a speed control system (throttle and carburetor (or fuel injectors)) and a whole bunch of other stuff (that we don't care about right now).

On an electric bike your fuel is electricity, your fuel storage are your batteries and your motor is an electric motor. The speed control is a black box usually just called "the controller". There are far less moving parts in an electric setup than a gas setup. That equates to more reliability.

For the XM-3500 (and lots of others) the motor is actually in the hub of the rear wheel. Imagine taking an electric drill and holding on to the drill bit rather than the handle and then switching on the drill. The drill goes around and around rather than the bit - right? That's the same basic idea for a hub motor. As for more details on how the electric motor actually works - I'm not going to attempt that right here!

Your second question is about Hall sensors. These are small sensors that are present inside a type of motor called a brushless DC motor. To make this type of motor run the controller needs to know the current position of rotation. The hall sensors send out a signal when a "pole" in the motor (think of a pole a bit like a tooth of a cog) moves past it. So, as the motor rotates the controller sees the hall sensor switching on and off - it can use this to know the speed of rotation and the current position. There are usually 3 hall sensors (because most motors use a 3 phase design) - that switch on in order say a,b,c,a,b,c if going forward and a,c,b,a,c,b if going backwards. There are some 6 phase motors out there. The more phases or the more poles the smoother the motor is. Some manufacturers are now putting an extra set of hall sensors in the motor for redundancy - i.e. in a 3 phase motor there would be 6 hall sensors - think of them like a primary set and a back up set. So, if A1 fails then A2 takes over.

As for question 3 - me please! ;-)

I hope this helps - if it doesn't let me know or try rephrasing your question. Is there something specific you want to know about how the motor works?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: How does it work?

Gets even harder to make good decisions if you don't know a few basic things too.

One of my favorites, cut all range claims by the seller in half, or more. They give you a speed, and a range, but it's never the range at that speed.

And on the subject of speed, you can also take 5mph off that, unless you weigh 90 pounds.

And your sla batteries won't go 300 cycles untill you kill at least two sets of em learning not to do this and that.

And lastly, don't think you can extend your range peadling, or peadle home on a scooter that has run out of battery. Hard enough to do that on a mountain bike with a motor.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot