WE BL36 upgrade replacement controller?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
gregben
WE BL36 upgrade replacement controller?

I bought a WE BL36 kit on 10-Oct. Put about 25 miles on it until the controller died this past Sunday, 19-Oct.
I took a look inside. Not pretty! Uglier than cheap Japanese electronic items from 40 years ago.
I can get a replacement controller for $0 from the dealer, but I doubt it'll last too long.

Any ideas on moderately priced (< $150.00) replacement controllers that are well made, with a good
warranty?

Some other details: This kit came with 3 x 12AH SLA batteries. The motor and controller were never
subjected to high temperatures or extreme loads. I am going to stick with 36V. I'm after long service
life, not high speed.

Arno J. Wulfert
Re: WE BL36 upgrade replacement controller?

Hey Greg,

I bought a WE BL36 that came with a bad controller... My vendor (BernsonEV)sent me a new one. Been using it for about 2 months and haven't had a problem with the replacement... My advise (what ever it's worth)is take the replacement from your dealer and try it before you go out and spend more money... You may have just got a bad unit...

I'm riding my bike to work and back about 3-4 days a week (5 miles each way) plus taking out other times for fun... No issues with the replacement controller... Save your money...

Cheers,
Matt

ps. I just recieved my 48volt 20amp Ping I will be hooking up to the stock BL36 controller... We'll see how it does with the added Vs and As... If it blows the controller, I'll be shopping too... :)

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

I agree, get the warantee controller even if you just let it sit on a shelf. Unfortunatley that is par for the course on the chinese electronics. Tests ok at the factory, but quite a few end up failing pretty quick. Especially chargers. But fortunately once you get a good one, it tends to last till you overvolt it too much. If you want to upgrade anyway, Ecrasyman on Ebay has a good rep and cheap prices. Enough guys have bought his stuff that the wiring info is out there, especially at the endless sphere.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

gregben

I went to the dealer this week and he swapped me a new controller. This one works better than the first one did. Less prone to
commutation slip than the first unit. Hopefully it'll last.

LarryS_1997
LarryS_1997's picture

Hi everyone, Just bought the same WE BL36 kit and had some problems with a complete lockup of the front hub motor. Luckily I was on the sidewalk and not on the streets as it lofted me over the handlebars and I landed on my right side. A little road rash and I wasn't even wearing a helmet. I was very lucky to say the least...I am suspecting the same thing the controller unit which may have applied a reverse voltage and thus acted as an electronic break. I haven't got into the analysis yet but I plan on doing that soon....I am going to find out the problem before I put it back together. WE sent me a complete hub motor, controller and thumb throttle. My bike fork tines were messed up so I need parts replaced on the bike.
I'll try this again as I really enjoyed the ride. I'm new to this forum and hope to pick up some useful information...Peace and keep your helmets buckled.

Join the Grid..Stay Green...Stay Tuned...Boots and Saddles

gregben

Larry, I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I don't believe it is possible for the battery/controller/motor to
generate sufficent reverse torque under any circumstances to throw a rider. I think it is much more likely that
something locked up inside the motor. Perhaps a magnet or some other component broke loose and wedged itself. I
think it would be very helpful to take the motor apart and find out what happened.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage