My new Ping 48V 20AH set up with Pics...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arno J. Wulfert
My new Ping 48V 20AH set up with Pics...

I just finished the first test run with the new Ping 48V 20AH powering my brushless BL-36. Ran about 4-5 miles with a noticeable difference in speed and power. The bike still wants pedal help up the hills but with less effort and more speed. My set up is a Trek 820 with a couple of modifications (extended front neck and higher handle bars). I'm 6'2" at about 245 lbs. and like not having to bend over so much to ride... The case holding the battery is a vintage 1950s tackle box I gutted and painted. the battery just fits without getting knocked around. Took the pics right before dark and the camera auto setup flashed. Good to know the reflectors light up.... The reflector on the battery box is a mailbox reflector that seems to work well... Check out the pics... Any questions about the setup? Please respond... Good rides to all...\
Cheers,
Matt
100_0605.jpg100_0606.jpg100_0607.jpg100_0608.jpg100_0609.jpg

strawhistle
Re: My new Ping 48V 20AH set up with Pics...

:) that is a really nice looking ride !! GOOD JOB !! LaTer

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

Congrats and you have a fine looking rig there! Do you have aluminum forks? ...heard you may want to watch that or maybe add a torque arm if they are aluminum (ampedbikes makes a pretty nice one!)
Keep us posted on the results as the battery breaks in...I've heard they improve after ~10charge/discharge cycles. You will probably still have to pedal up the hills some tho! How fast on flats are you getting?

dogman
dogman's picture

Very nice indeed, the tackle box is allmost identical to the one I used, and found perfectly sised for my 36v pack. I have seen some nice looking steel forks on trek bikes in my local shop, but if your forks are aluminum, they can fail really easy, and with no warning at all. The torque arms may not be able to save the dropouts, but if they save your teeth, well worth the 20 bucks or so! I'm sticking with steel forks though the ones I have are pretty cheesey with only 40 mm of travel. Enjoy!

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Arno J. Wulfert

Thanks Guys,

I guess since this is one of the cheaper Trek Bikes, it has steel forks... put the magnets on them to be sure... The motor wheel fits perfectly on the fork including the washer/snap that prevents it from slipping... No issues on about 300-400 miles... (My wonderful wife gave me the Trek, free for her 5 year work anniverary from her work... she didn't see any thing she really liked from the gift catalog...lucky me)... The tackle box is working great... It is a little more snug now when I shut it... Found a perfect fit padded bag to put the battery in. It was our old heavy duty video camera bag. It looks like it was made for the battery and very close to the stock SLA bag. With the battery now in the bag, it's really good and tight in the box...

As far as increase power... I have already knowticed a considerable increase.... It is pulling me up much hills with little pedal effort.. a couple of the bigger ones to/from work still wants some help... Speed is fast... I bought a bike speedomiter but haven't set it up yet... I think on flat ground, I'm close to 30 mph... That's fast on a bike... I'm having a great time... Got to ride the car today to hall some stuff to work... Darn it!!!!

A great time, Good rides to all....

Matt

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

Very nice. I thought the steel forks I saw on trek mtb's looked good. I think you will have about 25 mph, no peadling, but with a 48 tooth sprocket, I can peadle fast, and reach about 28 on flat ground. I'm still looking for a 52 tooth that can fit a mtb. I think it doesn't exist without getting it fabricated. I used some scraps of foam to snug up the fit in my box, but with cold a coming, I need to put in some insulation.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Dogman,

You got the mileage "nailed down"... Bought a Cheap Schwinn bike computer (only $10.00 at Wally World). Has 13 functions but I only care about MPH and the Odomitor... Was coming home yesterday on the last leg of a 5 mile ride from my son's house... I am very surprised how accurate the speedomitor is... There was one of those free standing radar detectors set up in the subdivision by my house to wake people up how fast they are going in double fine zone posted 25mph... The radar detector read 25 mph and the speedo also read 25 mph... The speed picked up to 26 on the speedo and it matched the radar detector... Very impressed for 10 bucks... On the flat ground doing about 25-27 mph.... with a little down hill grade easily gets up to close to 30 mph... Now after a few rides the Ping will pull up lessor hills without pedaling... It will slow down to about 17 mph if no pedal... All and all, I'm very satisfied with the Ping's performance... it was about 70% yesterday on the way home and I did notice after the 5 mile run, letting Ping do most to all of the work, the battery was warm to touch on the outside of the battery bag... Should I be concerned??? it's only 70%... What will happen on a hot Missouri day in the 90s???

Thanks to all for on-going discussion and feedback... Talked to a lady on the Walmart parking lot this morning who is here from Phoenix... She has a electric golf cart that does 30 MPH... They have golf cart parking spots and everything out there... That would be cool to be that green around here...

Cheers,
Matt

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

All batteries get warm discharging, but with lifepo4 it's pretty much a non issue. Nicads get hot and lipo and nimh get hot charging. My experience with the ping cells is that they get gently warm and that is about it, like body temperature. At the start of summer I and another southwesterner were real concerned about our batteries. In his case, he had a loose wire in the pack causing what seemed to be heat related cut outs. I went out and did some torture testing on mine, to see if it would do anything and had no problems whatsoever at 110 F climbing some 10% grade hills. A few weeks later the magnets melted right off the hub of my brushed motor though! After I gave a thought as to what the high end of the operating temp of the battery was I got a good chuckle and stopped trying to cool down my pack to charge it. Pretty much if you can stand it, your battery can. I don't worry about the pack under 120F now. All summer I have been charging in a garage about that temp. No damage so far.

In any case, it appears that the motor will die of heat long before a ping pack does.

Be the pack leader.

needWheels

Sigh, I wish I could afford that pack!

allanoue
allanoue's picture

I have a 36bl 20" recumbent (fun) with 36v 12ah sla battery. I can get about 10 miles peddling a lot on very hilly roads. I am thinking about going with Lifepo battery. After reading what you all had to say I wont a 48v. I want to here what you all think about 20ah vs 30ah vs 40ah.

colin9876

You dont need more than 20ah.
SLAs are good at giving out high currents, but a 36v 20ah Ping will more than match the current from ur batteries. In addition you will get twice the range!!

allanoue
allanoue's picture

More range is what I want. My brother is 25 miles away and I would like to ride there and back without needing to spending 10 hours recharging. 5 hours would be ok. Would not the 30 or 40 ah make that a possibility?

dogman
dogman's picture

You'd need 40 ah to do that reliably, 50 miles, or just ride so slow going motorless might be easier. You might get a 20 ah now, and add another later, once you know what size you need. 30 ah might do it, but getting a 20 would be a good way to get real world data on how far you will go on it. When I need more than the 20 mile range I have, I drive part way, and ride the rest. No driving is best, but driving half way beats all the way.

Be the pack leader.

allanoue
allanoue's picture

I emailed Li Ping for a price on a 48v 30ah and he emailed ah only in 28 or 32. Must be 4c cells.

patm0007

I don't know your height but the seat looks too low. One should have about 15 degrees of knee flexion at the bottom of the stroke.

bebob

So why is Li Ping the only outlet?? doesnot anyone in the US make batteries??? why do i have to order from over seas???? Bebob.

patm0007

All the lifepo4 are make in china, even the famed A123 line of batteries. Senor Ping isn't the only outlet but looks like he has the best reputation.

allanoue
allanoue's picture

Henry_and_me.jpgAlso good for grocery shopping.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage