Newest Vectrix firmware updates

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Newest Vectrix firmware updates
Do you say that Vectrix changed their batteries this summer? Do you have any more details about this?

Norman

Sorry Norman, I don't have any links or such that I can tell you about. When I took my Vectrix in for its first service in late August the engineer had stripped down the shop's 2007 Vectrix and was replacing the GP battery packs. I asked why and he said that it was being done to all Vectrix using "new technology" NiMH battery packs from GP. I have to guess these were in some way more advanced NiMH than the orginal packs. Mine was a 2008 model and he said that the new pack was already fitted at the factory.

I bet the new technology is what they call a torque-wrench!

Or he might also have been fitting newer temp sensors at the same time as doing the battery rework which was the reason for the recall earlier this year.

When I dismantled the Vectux battery pack I found that the "inter-module-connectors" were insufficiently fastened with only 3Nm to 5Nm, whilst all the inter-cell- connectors and main battery cables were fastened with 10Nm. That was the reason for the recall, I believe.

Earlier this year Vectrix was sitting on thousands of batteries unable to be sold, it was the reason for a massive extra tax burden imposed on Vectrix, see shareholder reports for details.

So I doubt very much that there is anything new in those packs, compared to a Vectrix which had the battery rework.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

tom5007
Do you say that Vectrix changed their batteries this summer? Do you have any more details about this?

Norman

Sorry Norman, I don't have any links or such that I can tell you about. When I took my Vectrix in for its first service in late August the engineer had stripped down the shop's 2007 Vectrix and was replacing the GP battery packs. I asked why and he said that it was being done to all Vectrix using "new technology" NiMH battery packs from GP. I have to guess these were in some way more advanced NiMH than the orginal packs. Mine was a 2008 model and he said that the new pack was already fitted at the factory.

Mike I think you are right. This must have been the battery recall. This was discussed somewhere in this forum. So in conclusion still the same batteries but now properly installed.
Norman

Hands0n

Norman

Mike I think you are right. This must have been the battery recall. This was discussed somewhere in this forum. So in conclusion still the same batteries but now properly installed.
Norman

FWIW, the engineer did have a pair of brand new GP battery packs in the shop with him to be fitted into the "old" Vectrix.

jmap
jmap's picture

Mine didn't accept the new firmware. The old was reinstalled because the new accused battery empty when was more than half full.

I’m waiting for a new pack of batteries because one sensor is given bad readings, and it seems that the new firmware can’t start with it like that.

I hope that with the new pack, the new software runs without problems.

undead

I find it strange that Vectrix have not designed the pack to have the sensors relatively easily removed by an engineer - being that the sensor is usually the first componant to go in a monitored system.

Looking back, nearly every fault with any car has been a sensor and not the actual componant it was ment to be sensing...

Wildfire
Which firmware is better?

Hi all! New to the land of Vectrix after having bought one of those fire-sale scoots off of ebay.. After some trouble getting the first full charge into the bike (I think I was borderline on having too low of a voltage; the plenum fans turned on but the instrument cluster did not light up the first time that I plugged the bike in, but thankfully it did when I disconnected and reconnected it an hour later), I've been enjoying life in the electric lane. Quite a change after my Aprilia Futura!

Any rate, to the crux of this post: which firmware is better, the as-built 2007 version or the latest-and-greatest?? Though the fan delay sounds like a welcome (necessary?) change to the charging routine, I'm a bit worried about the extended "reconditioning" charging routine as per Mik's various postings. My daily commute only drains the battery half-way each way with full charging at either end, so I'm not too concerned about the range drop-off that others were seeing before the new firmware, but I am rather concerned about making my batteries last as long as possible. Perhaps it is better to avoid total battery drain down (as seems to be a mandatory first step with the new firmware) and simply keep the batteries topped up using the old firmware as much as possible?? I'm game for adding a secondary 12V auxiliary pre-cooler if needed..

To forestall any questions on this point, I'm pretty sure that I have the old firmware as the left/right handbrake, kill-switch routine yields nothing. Also, I discovered I have the ability to turn off the headlights via the 6-second pass-flash switch method (thanks, Mik!). If the newer firmware is best, then I believe that the Vespa shop in town has the tools to flash it (if it doesn't fry my circuit board first!).

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Which firmware is better?

Welcome to the world of Vectrix :-) You'll love the bike.

If you have a chance, do a fiwmware update, I highly recommend it (I had the old one). While you're still on the old one, try to do as shallow discharges as you can (don't go below 4-5 bars). Old firmware's cut-off voltage is set to low and that will lead to cell reversal. Also, try not to do full charges if you can. The old firmware regularly overcharges the battery if you do a full charge and that produces heat, which is bad.

Before you go and do a firmware update, do a 2-3 full charges (after riding), so when you do the update, you cells will be fully balanced. The new firmware's requirement is to do a discharge to a red battery telltale after the update (discharge cut-off is much higher). After that, you have to do a full charge (which can take quite some time, so reserve aprox. 10 hours for a charge + time for a precharge cooling delay) and full discharge (to a red battery telltale) within 24 hours, without any partial recharges in between.

With the new firmware, you'll be able to read battery's temperature and voltage with the bike turned on, kill switch off and left break applied. That helps a lot since it tells me, how long should I set the precharge delay. If the battery temperature is above 24'C, set a precharge delay as long as possible. That will extend you battery life. If you want to extend it even further, try not to ride faster than 70km/h and do not use aggressive acceleration. Ss I observed, at aprox. that speed, battery power consumption is at 1C. At that speed you battery will gain only a few degrees. Anything greater than that and your battery will heat up faster and decrease your battery life.
For illustration: the power required to drive the bike at 80km/h is aprox. 50% greater than driving it at 70km/h. Wikipedia

Also, try not to use regen breaking with 14+ battery bars remaining.
You can read this post for explanation: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6804-refrigerated-charging?page=1#comment-41421

R
R's picture

The plenum fans turned on but the instrument cluster did not light up the first time that I plugged the bike in, but thankfully it did when I disconnected and reconnected it an hour later

You accidentelly pulled a brake lever when switching the key off- You activated a charging delay, completely normal behaviour. Probably you have the last software. Check further info about charging delay in the forum.
kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

unfortunately the new software seems to be no difrence in way of if you want to knock off the .
main headlight i think it should be much more quicker i/e aprox 3 seconds and if you are moving and the flash switch
can take up to 40 seconds thats a life time if your going to work and .i only use the led and only use the headlight when its dark.
but must .must say love my vectrix but yep they in my eyes have made a really BIG BIG mistake in way of changing the time of the indicator .
left on reminder as it was 15 seconds when the biper would let you know but i always thought it sould be aprox 10 seconds and no more..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but when i recived the scooter back with its update of new software it has been changed without my knowing and now the indicator can be forgotten about for 20 second before been noticed..!!
as i have had a few near misses..!!!.. i/e nearly knocked off my scooter few times phew .. and now car't really rely on it as too long time and with such a great advanced scooter thought .
that somone would have invented an ajustable timer and audible soudpice as i have another electric scooter and the indicators are nice and loud i have no probblem but
i have heard on some scooters its not fitted cos thers loades of deff people and the sound sounds too much like pellican crossing ..i/e sounds like a go pedestrions to walk accros the road ..kev

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage