Ping BMS Shut-Down (re. My new ping setup with pics)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arno J. Wulfert
Ping BMS Shut-Down (re. My new ping setup with pics)

Took the bike out this morning on the 2nd run with the Ping for a 23 mile ride on the Katy Trail (a level ground bike trail along the Missouri River near St. Charles). What a great time... I guess I was going about 20-25 mph for much of the ride. Did very little peddaling (mostly for show, when passing others on the trail). I was really rolling and decided to go full throttle the last 4-5 miles. About a mile from my truck and put-in point the Battery shut down. I guess the BMS (battery Management System) put an immediate stop on the power when the remaining power was at the acceptable lowest limit. There was no real warning that the battery supply was up. You don't get the yellow light until the BMS says no more...

According to Ping and you Ping owners, the battery will get stronger after 4 or 5 discharges. I was hoping for more distance on the 2nd time out but I did put it "through the paces", not holding up at all on the full throttle.

I kind of remember someone on this site stated no warning on the end of power. Well, he was right... Like someone pulled the plug... Just good to know to run a little more conservative on speed and distance or be ready to pedal up...

Guys, share your thoughts... Am I right about the shut down with little/no warning? I put the SLA pack on the bike when I got home first thing to make sure the controller and everything was in working order. No problems with the system... That's a relief... I'll give the Ping a good charge and run some more... Fun...

Cheers,
Matt

sparc5
sparc5's picture
Re: Ping BMS Shut-Down (re. My new ping setup with pics)

Hey where is the pics?? I feel cheated! How's the weather there? It's getting cold here in Chicago.

When you accelerate hard near the end of your pack's charge, the voltage drops dramatically, the low voltage cutout (LVC) will activate and you're powerless. Were you able to accelerate/drive slower and keep the LVC from activating? The lithium battery's discharge curve is linear, until around the last 80% where it becomes exponential. When you start to get to that exponential part, you'll see the voltage at rest is low, then really low..

If you have a voltmeter you can get a feel for how charged your pack is by how large that voltage drop is when you accelerate. If you get a display with two needles, one for volts and one for amps, you can make a background that will always show the battery's charge where the cross hairs meet.

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

dogman
dogman's picture

I forget which motor you have at the moment, but your range is pretty close to what it should be, depending on a zillion variables. Some folks are great at hypermiling and post amazing ranges, but it seems like most of us get a lot less. Everything you describe seems pretty normal for a Ping pack. Actually you will eventually begin to see a very slight decrease in speed and power towards the last two miles or so of the ride and if you pay attention you will have some warning. Usually that is easier to detect if you do a routine ride like I do. I know that if I am slower than 19 mph as I pass Onate High school I better start conserving since I am still 4 miles from home. In general though, you would be real smart to just find out what normal range is, and then try to be home with 25% less miles on the cycle than that. Shallower cycles will definitely make the pack last. If you think about it, ideally the bms cut out is never reached lessening the chances that you kill a cell.

When you do ride till cut out and you have a few miles left to go, I have found that you can unplug the battery and plug back in, and get power back. At that point, if you just barely touch the throttle, you can get just enough watts to flow without tripping the cutout to get the motor cogging to go away. I find it makes peadling home much easier. You can get maybe two more miles out of it this way.

As you break in the battery, for the firt ten cycles or so, leave it on the charger at all times so the balancing can reach it's max potential. Later on, I am being advised to do this about once every one or two weeks.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Arno J. Wulfert

See my Blog close to this one titled: My new Ping 48V 20AH set up with Pics...

Thanks for your good feedback... My volt meter is a cheapee with only one needle... And actually I don't know that much about reading it other than the needle moved to about midpoint,,,

Cheers,
Matt

Arno J. Wulfert

Arno J. Wulfert

Hey Dogman,

Thanks for the great information... I always look forward to your feedback and help... I am keeping the battery on the charger until I ride....

Cheers,
Matt

Arno J. Wulfert

Arno J. Wulfert

Forgot to tell you about the weather. It was in the low 40s when I left and close to 50 when I got back at 10:30 am... Also, I couldn't drive slower once the BMS shut the battery down. It was pedal power for about a mile... I like dogman's tip to unplug the battery and plug it back in... Might get some added juice to baby and take it slow...

Thanks again,
Matt

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

like other chemistries, cold will shorten the range of lifepo4.

Be the pack leader.

colin9876

Sometimes people expect to much, ur range sounds fantastic.
People expect to much because of the lies of the manufacturers across the board,
My first SLA bike which had an advertised range of 20-25miles, did about 3 lol!
I wish everyone was honest about their ranges. Then when someone like u got 20mile range u would realise how fantastic it was.

My first Steel SLA bike its still being advertised on Ebay as 20-25mile range - I dont know how they get away with it.
For fun I recently bought a electric dirt bike, its fantastic fun, well worth the £245, but even that had a advertised range of 10-15miles and perhaps 5 is more accurate before it really starts slowing. Still u get a great 5 miles out of it!

dogman
dogman's picture

Range at what speed is allways what I think when I see range posted. I wonder just how slow you have to go to get 250 miles in a Tesla. Hee hee. When I bought my ebike the sla range was supposed to be 15 miles. I have done 14, but it is all down a really big hill from my house to work. coming back, more like 8 miles, and only by really milking it and riding slowwwwww.

Be the pack leader.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76