E-scooter help

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
nightshack
E-scooter help

Hello, I bought a used scooter for like $90 (really cheap)

Looks like this:
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...casa002st0.jpg

I looked inside the scooter and i found the motor, a:
350watts 24VDC 2250RPM
Model: MY1020
UNITE Motor Co,LTD
(MOTOR)

The Battery Charger says:
Model:JY100
Output:1.8A
Input: A0100 - 240v ~50/60Hz
For 24v lead-acid battery

(BATTERY CHARGER)

And, I want to upgrade it, what new parts do I need to buy?
I don't know anything about this, is it easy to modify it?

Please help

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
Re: E-scooter help

nightshack,

First, the link to the image does not work you might want to try again.

Second, what do you want to upgrade? Tiers, battery, motor, A little more information would help us help you.

Grandpa Chas S.

nightshack

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scooteryoycasa002st0.jpg

And, I want it to be faster, that's what I meant

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Nice little scooter to start with. I don't know if anyone has tried to modify a three wheel scooter before but it can be done.

I would start by adding a battery to bring the voltage up to 36 volts. The charger would also need to be upgraded to a 36 volt charger, which you can find at the link I have provided. I am not affiliated with TNC but I have bought parts from them in the past. The motor should be able to handle the extra voltage but the controller may not. Some of these controllers can take an extra 12 volts some can not. If you add a battery and the controller lets go with the magic smoke 36-volt controllers are cheap. Here is a link for a replacement controller, the 36V Controller (Model YK40-3) Yi-Yun Brand Controller is the one you want. Scroll down the page to find it. At about $20.oo is is a good buy. I have used these controllers and they work well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

nightshack

You say i need to add a battery, but what battery?

Also, how many mph it should add?

I found this battery: http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101224
12 Volt / 12 Amp Hour / 20 Hour Rated Battery (Enduring)
, That's the one I need?, and how do i add an extra battery, is it hard?
??

What battery charger? there's lots of them

So the list I need to buy is:

~12 volt/12 amp hour/ 20 hour rated battery (Enduring) Extra Battery http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101224

~Battery Charger (WHICH?)

~36V Controller (Model YK40-3) Yi-Yun Brand Controller http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101198
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm really confused, don't know what to do, and you just confused me A LOT More!!!

Please help me!! What do I buy? Exactly what do i buy? Is it hard?

How many mph it adds?

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

nightshack,

Sorry for the confusion, I guess I assumed you had more knowledge about scooters in general. I would be happy to help and we need to take this a little slower so I will start again.

First - lets look at what we do know. The battery is 24 volts so that tells me there are 2 12v batteries in the scooter. The missing information we need to know is, what is the AH (amp hour) rating of the batteries in the scooter. We need to match this rating when we add a battery. So if they are 12AH the the 12-volt 12-AH battery you have chosen will work fine.

Next - If we add a battery we know we must increase the charger by 12 volts. The charge you have is 24 so we need to get a 36-volt charger so we can charge the 3 12-volt batteries. Here is a graphic to show how batteries are connected.

series_parallel_batteries.gif

You will want to use the bottom picture, batteries in series.

All you have to do is cut the wire between the 2 batteries in the pack and connect the positive (+) side of battery one to the negative (-) side of the new battery and connect positive (+) side of the new battery to the negative (-) side of battery two so the connections look like the picture above.

There is no way to tell how may MPH this will add because we don't know how fast it is now, but it should be about 40% faster.

So to sum things up so far I would verify the AH rating of the current batteries and add another battery with the same rating and purchase a 36-volt charger. Here is a charger that will work.

Grandpa Chas S.

e-doggies
e-doggies's picture

Intriguing little scooter! I'd like to learn more about it. Have you ridden it much? How fast does it go with the 350W motor at 24V? How stable is the steering at higher speeds? Could you post another pic or two? I'd like to see the entire front end and how much ground clearance it has. One with the body off would be cool. Let's see the motor, drive, controller, etc. Maybe it will spark a few new ideas.

Grandpa's right on with his explanation and graphics above! If you are after speed, you need more voltage (more battery). The battery you add needs to be the same Ah as the two you already have.

Any 12V charger with a rate between 1 and 2 amps should work. Make sure you know what type of plug you need to match your scooter's port. Post a close-up of the scooter's charge port (or end of the charger plug), and we can tell you what you have.

I'd be tempted to put 36V into the stock controller and hope for the best. But, I'd also have a 36V controller in-hand just in case.

Have fun with it!

nightshack

Well, I bought it, and at first day it was really fast, after first day it's now going more slow, I don't know why...

And thanks Grandpa, I will get the scooter with someone that I think knows about this and ask him why it's going slow, maybe if he opens it I can see the battery etc then I tell u

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I have 2 possibilities.

1. Did you also upgrade the charger to 36-volts?

2. Have you checked the output of the controller?
Please check your battery voltage going into the controller and the voltage going to the motor at full throttle they should be very very close, less than 1-volt difference. If it is greater then the controller is toast.

Grandpa Chas S.

nightshack

Uh no, I haven't upgraded anything. :)
I will after I can get someone to check why it's going too slow

Dave-s

First check the air preassure in the tires. I've noticed that if the preassure is lower than suggested the scooter is slower, and wont go as far.

scootbt49

I new to this forum so hope this isn't against the rules, but this forums chat is what I've been looking for. I have a RAZOR-ECO-SMART-METRO- 36VOLTS-500WATT motor. I want to add another 12volt motor just for boost, up a hill, etc. I have an on/off switch so extra battery will not be on full time. Can I just wire the extra battery to the tail-end of the 3-12volt batteries than came with the scooter, with on/off switch and not burn up my control unit!! Or, do I need to buy a 48volt control unit? Thannk much for your help info., Fletch in Jax. Fl.

Fletcher L. Hart. Getting old and have been having trouble signing in!! So bare with me folk, I like your site!!!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage