The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

9 replies [Last post]
retrodog
retrodog's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/10/2008
Points: 115

I was riding yesterday morning and went through the McD's drivethru. Well during the time after I ordered and before I got to the first window, the bike died. Grrr...

So I tried to turn the key off and back on and it seemed to boot up ok. But when I pulled the left brake, the speedometer would go up to 40 kph and sit there while the brake was pulled. So I never got the "GO" indicator to come on.

After pushing it over to a parking spot I was perplexed and didn't know what to do. I was just getting ready to start walking home (about 3 miles) and then for some weird reason... I looked at the kill switch. It was in the "Off" position. I had somehow hit the thing while fumbling around with getting my wallet out. What a dummy.

I switched it back on and everything worked accordingly. I guess I'll know what that 40 kph means from now on. :p

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
tom5007
Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Points: 147
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

Don't complain, this is a feature to prevent you from "dining out" at McD. I am sure in a couple of years you will thank Vectrix from leading you into the right direction :-)

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/17/2008
Points: 1071
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

The tech that repaired my Vectrix told me that this speedometer becomes a throttle calibration readout. In the neutral throttle, when both breaks applied, the readout should read between 40 and 50.

retrodog
retrodog's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/10/2008
Points: 115
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

tom5007 wrote:

Don't complain, this is a feature to prevent you from "dining out" at McD. I am sure in a couple of years you will thank Vectrix from leading you into the right direction :-)

I had a full day of fence building ahead of me (stuff that hurricane Ike knocked down) and my regular oatmeal and wheat toast just doesn't cut it for that. But hey, maybe next time I'll ask them to make me an egg-white omelet. :p

DaveD
DaveD's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/16/2008
Points: 86
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

When I got my Vectrix back from the battery problem recall, it wouldn't give me the "Go" display. An urgent call to Vectrix put me in touch with a service manager, who diagnosed the problem as a throttle calibration issue. Here's the steps he took me through:

1. Set kill switch to "kill" position.
2. Turn on Vectrix.
3. Pull on left brake handle. Speedometer will show a value; make a note of that value (42 kph, for me).
4. Continuing to pull on the left brake, also pull on the right brake handle. If the speedometer needle moves, adjust the throttle set screw until the speedo needle moves back to the position noted in Step 3. The throttle set screw is accessed by unscrewing (RH threads) the brushed metal endcap on the throttle grip.
5. Release the brake levers, and set the kill switch back to its normal operational position.

After doing this, I was relieved to find the Vectrix fully operational.

So, following these steps, the throttle calibration can be quickly and easily checked whenever you wish.

Mik
Mik's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/11/2007
Points: 3723
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

DaveD wrote:

When I got my Vectrix back from the battery problem recall, it wouldn't give me the "Go" display. An urgent call to Vectrix put me in touch with a service manager, who diagnosed the problem as a throttle calibration issue. Here's the steps he took me through:

1. Set kill switch to "kill" position.
2. Turn on Vectrix.
3. Pull on left brake handle. Speedometer will show a value; make a note of that value (42 kph, for me).
4. Continuing to pull on the left brake, also pull on the right brake handle. If the speedometer needle moves, adjust the throttle set screw until the speedo needle moves back to the position noted in Step 3. The throttle set screw is accessed by unscrewing (RH threads) the brushed metal endcap on the throttle grip.
5. Release the brake levers, and set the kill switch back to its normal operational position.

After doing this, I was relieved to find the Vectrix fully operational.

So, following these steps, the throttle calibration can be quickly and easily checked whenever you wish.

Important addition:

There is a tiny locking screw inside the calibration screw.

It needs to be loosened and then re-tightened after the calibration srew has been adjusted to the right position.

__________________

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

ElectroFox
Offline
Joined: 11/03/2008
Points: 1
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

Wow, militant vegetarians are here too? Can't go anywhere, do anything w/out someone chiding you about it...

mesman
mesman's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/09/2008
Points: 6
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

I had a similar problem with mine. It was pretty scary, I'm glad I figured it out.
I drove my Vectrix to Cracker Barrel to meet a friend for lunch. I parked around back as I usually do. When I came back out I had the same problem you described. Every time I held down the left brake lever, the speedo would register 40kph while I held it down. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the kill switch was on. I was fumbling around a bit with my gloves, book, hat, helmet, etc., and I was in a hurry to get inside...but I still don't know if I hit the kill switch accidentally or if someone else did it as a practical joke of sorts.

retrodog
retrodog's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/10/2008
Points: 115
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

ElectroFox wrote:

Wow, militant vegetarians are here too? Can't go anywhere, do anything w/out someone chiding you about it...

I usually just pray for them.

:D

tom5007
Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Points: 147
Re: The Dreaded Kill Switch Mistake

retrodog wrote:
ElectroFox wrote:

Wow, militant vegetarians are here too? Can't go anywhere, do anything w/out someone chiding you about it...

I usually just pray for them.

:D

Haha, now I am the veggie-man just because I dont like McD. My comment was really just about the company not about people (like me) having meat with their daily diet.

Norm

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Customize This