Thundersky 60ah cells

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wookie
Wookie's picture
Thundersky 60ah cells

OK, I got another question for all you EV guys.I am the kind of guy who hates instructions so I just build stuff and figure out the details later. Not the best way to do things but it's just the way I am. I have a 66v system with 60ah thunderskys. My average ride is about 35 miles at and average of 45 to 50 mph and I use about 20 amp hours per ride. So here is my question. If I have 60 ah cells should I not be able to go 105 miles per charge?

vja4Him
Which Motor for my Electra Townie ... ???

What kind of bicycle are you riding at 45-50 mph? Many people have suggested that is very dangerous!!! When you say your average ride is 35 miles, is that round trip? I need a set up with my Electra Townie that will allow me to ride to work, if possible (I work a different school everyday), 15 miles each way (I can charge the batteries at work, but only for around 3-4 hours, maybe 5 hours sometimes, depending on how long I work).

I don't need to travel 50 mph, but would like to have a good boost of acceleration available when needed to cross the road quickly, or get around on/off ramps, away from traffic, etc. The town where I live is NOT bicycle friendly .... so many pot holes, bad roads, and bad sidewalks, or no sidewalks, tons of stop signs, signals, lots of heavy and congested traffic ...

The topography is mostly flat where we are ... The only hills are overpasses. I've been looking at the 600W Thunderbolt, and Crystalyte hub motors. Depending on how much my tax return is, I might want to get a 750W or even 1000W electric motor for my Electra Townie.

Any suggestions much appreciated ... Thanks ... !!!

Wookie
Wookie's picture
Re: Which Motor for my Electra Townie ... ???

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am talking about a motorcycle. As a motorcycle enthusiast I always refer to it as a bike.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Thundersky 60ah cells

Don't expect to get every molecule of the rated energy out of a battery. Maybe the li-ion batteries are better in this regard than the lead-acid batteries, but the actual AH's you can extract from a battery depends on a lot of conditions.

The rating of AH is done at a given amp rate. That is... typically lead-acid batteries are rated on the AH's you can extract at a C/20 rate. That is for a 20 AH battery C/20 is 1A. So that 20 AH battery will be depleted in 20 hours at the C/20 rate. But EV folk tend to draw a lot more power out of their batteries than the C/20 rate, and this affects the total AH's extracted from the battery.

e.g. with the pack on my motorcycle, it is rated 60v 52ah but on my typical commute I get around 20AH out of it before it hits a wall and is depleted. Somehow you're getting 3x the range out of the 20AH than I'm getting out of the 20AH on my bike. Bleah.

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

I would say no. I put 16 60AH Thunderskys on Deep Cycle to test it. I did go up to about 53mph but most was 30ish. I could never get more than 35 miles. That being said I had a lot of hills, my fatness, full-size old-school Yamaha 750 conversion and lots of stop and go. My ratio is 12:72. The bike with the TS on it weighs about 275 lbs.

Jeff K.

Mik
Mik's picture

OK, I got another question for all you EV guys.I am the kind of guy who hates instructions so I just build stuff and figure out the details later. Not the best way to do things but it's just the way I am. I have a 66v system with 60ah thunderskys. My average ride is about 35 miles at and average of 45 to 50 mph and I use about 20 amp hours per ride. So here is my question. If I have 60 ah cells should I not be able to go 105 miles per charge?
------------

Have you tried it out? What IS your actual range?

In order to avoid all instructions and other complicated stuff, how about you just ride until it stops and then figure out how to get home?

Just kidding...

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

pgt400
pgt400's picture

Hi Scott,

Dave is saying what I said yesterday.... "Somehow you're getting 3x the range out of the 20AH than I'm getting out of the 20AH on my bike".

With a nominal 60 volts and using a mere 20ah, 35 miles at 50 mph with a ~375+ lb bike is..well incredible! Thats less then 35 wh per mile! Good for a scooter or ebike even.... piloted by an Olsen twin! Are you sure your shunt is cal'ed? If so, I would like to purchase YOUR perm motor! Phil

pgt400
pgt400's picture

Jeff,

Sounds about right, you have 2880 wh (48x60) so if you hit 35 miles thats 82 wh/mile. Most bikes your size and speed range will use 90-100. With only 48 volts, you need to use more current per mile (watts=Volts*current).

Phil

Jeffkay
Jeffkay's picture

Phil, I know my range is real-world. I am not the original guy asking about more range. And you are right, if I did 40+ for the whole ride the range drops right away... EV range/speed specs people give are mostly unreal as they give max for speed and range but not taken on the same trip! LOL

Oh, by the way, the pack is 52vdc nominal for those calculations. Then the losses (in my case) make more sense...
Jeff K.

pgt400
pgt400's picture

Jeff,

Sounds like you're getting most of that 60 ah out. Do you have your controller set to 40 volts as a LVC ? Do you recall what your 50 mph cruise current is (flat) ??

Phil

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage