nine continents kit from ebikes.ca

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
brownj24
nine continents kit from ebikes.ca

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading the last month or so. I bought a 48v20ah LiFePO4 battery off ebay last night and I think I'm going to order a nine continents kit from ebikes.ca with upgraded controller to 72 volts. They offer a decent warranty and the motor on this kit sounds well-built.

Does anyone have any feedback on this kit. I know it's similar or the same as the kits at ampedbikes. Should I be considering something else. On ebike.ca, with 48 volts their simulator posts top speeds of just over 50 km/hour. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to get close to this with moderate pedal-assist?

I think I've read so much now that I've become indecisive, so any direction one way or or another from you guys who have all the experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jerry

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: nine continents kit from ebikes.ca

I have no experience with the nine continents kit, but most kits in that wattage will reach at least 40-45 kph when run at 48v, which with lifepo4 is really at least 56 volts or maybe more. On a lifepo4 pack, 48v would be when the battery is really drained and about to cut out. From what I see of the specs you have made good choices matching the battery and motor. Actual speed of your motor will depend on the winding count of the motor, wheel sise, and of course hills or headwinds. I am not sure how the 9 continents motor compares for speed with the 406 or 408, but you can get some idea by looking at simulators. At 48v many motors can do 50 kph so it would not be an inflated claim for it to do so. Be aware though, that usefull peadle assist on most mtb or cruiser bikes doesn't go past 30 kph or so, because of the low gear ratios. You may be able to peadle that fast, but you aren't able to push very hard unless you have at least a 48 tooth front chainring on a 14 rear gear. Somehow I recently found a 58 tooth front chainring, and now I can peadle up to around 60 kph, though my motor goes around 50 kph. I can't hit 60 unless going down a big hill since I run 36v.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture
Re: nine continents kit from ebikes.ca

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading the last month or so. I bought a 48v20ah LiFePO4 battery off ebay last night and I think I'm going to order a nine continents kit from ebikes.ca with upgraded controller to 72 volts. They offer a decent warranty and the motor on this kit sounds well-built.

Does anyone have any feedback on this kit. I know it's similar or the same as the kits at ampedbikes. Should I be considering something else. On ebike.ca, with 48 volts their simulator posts top speeds of just over 50 km/hour. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to get close to this with moderate pedal-assist?

I think you made a good choice on that combo controller/hub. Seems like a really good value. I just got my 72V controller for my 48V/16Ah Ping and BL-36. Works perfect and I love the controller! Are you going with a 700C or 26inch?

From my experience, the ebikes.ca simulator is fairly accurate. Two experiments I ran, one with this bike and the other with a brushed bike (same battery) came out that on a flat, no wind, upright position it takes about 17 NM of torque to give you your speed. For me and the BL-36 (~equal to a Clyte 408) and a 48V 18AH NiMH (no LifePO4s in the simulator), 20A controller gave me a no-pedal speed of 23-24mph. For you on a 26inch bike, you should be 27-29mph! Easy pedaling will only help things (speed, ability to maintain speed up a hill, into the wind, etc), providing as Dogman pointed out, you have the gears...

Give us an update as things progress....Start a blog! --g'luck!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage