FZR 600AC electric boogie

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
JordanRock
JordanRock's picture
FZR 600AC electric boogie

Hello there, I've been reading a bit on this site and figured I should join in. I'm currently constructing an AC induction bike using a 1991 Yamaha FZR 600 rolling chassis with plastics, 24 50Ah LiFP cells in series and a Curtis 500 amp controller. I know the controller is oversized, but it will run cool and it is what I ended up with, lets just leave it at that. I have not yet procured the charger but I plan on getting Hipower's quick charger at 72V and 10-15A. I'm also in the midst of doing a bit of esthetic customizations I think you will all enjoy. I'm going to sandblast the frame after all of my welding is done so I can do a dope paint job and the whole kit and I'm also redoing the wheels and the seat. Anyway, I'd really like to build a BMS so that I can get the most performance out of the batteries and so they will last a long time. I've seen plans on this forum for various types of BMSs, many of which look extremely complicated, hard to scale and even to build! I saw a plan for a relatively simple BMS for the EVT that shunts current through resistors and an LED when the cell reaches a pre-determined voltage, 3.7-3.9 or so. I realize I will have to modify the design to be used with my setup but I don't know how all the components work. This is really my first time building an EV so I just want to make sure to use the right parts, worse case scenario being the cells and/or charger is destroyed. Thanks for reading, any pointers?P1010954.jpg

pgt400
pgt400's picture
Re: FZR 600AC electric boogie

Cool, where did you get the cells? Are they Hi-power brand?

frodus
frodus's picture
Re: FZR 600AC electric boogie

I can't wait to see this running! Nice choice on the AC motor/controller. We've got one in the shop right now.... for a large 650cc scooter conversion (Burgman).

What kind of bats are those?

From my experience, 500A is NOT overkill, its just right. My motorcycle pulls 400A from a series wound controller no problem.... it'd go higher, but I don't want to kill the bats.

Is that controller programmable?

I'm glad to see more people that are converting sportbikes.... so much more aerodynamic.

www.evfr.net is mine, take a look. Lead right now, but lifepo when price comes down a little, and when we finish the BMS design at Synkromotive.

Good luck, post an entry into evalbum as well.

What gear ratio are you going to run? I'd say 5:1 should be good, but don't go lower, you'll lack acceleration. Those 50Ah cells are good for 2C continuous, so 100A... 3C or so bursts... so don't gear too low, and suck tons of amps, the bats don't like that. better to gear it for torque and a decent top speed. The AC motor can have a higher RPM than series or sepex motors, so 6krpm shouldn't be an issue.

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR Conversion
www.evfr.net

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage