Shunt mod switch using relay?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toronto_ebiker
Shunt mod switch using relay?

I have been considering operating on my controller and installing a shunt so my ebike would climb and accelerate better. I do not want the shunt mod to be on all the time since travel distance is a factor for me. I was thinking of using a 30 amp relay that would switch using 12 volts to turn the shunt on and off. my ebikes motor is 48volts and 500watts. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Toronto_ebiker
Re: Shunt mod switch using relay?

Any recommendations on where to buy a controller that has regenerative brake input and is a good candidate for a shunt mod?

Toronto_ebiker
Re: Shunt mod switch using relay?

I couldn't wait to find another controller to mod so today I took my bike apart to get at the controller to install the shunt. After taking the controller apart I realized there would not be enough space to install a relay so I went ahead drilled the holes in the PCB and soldered the shunt in which I made of one of those pinch style paper clips. The speed on the bike remained the same, but there is more torque off the start and for climbing up hills. Here are some pictures of the controller and the mod. I got some real close ma

shunt

here is the type of paper clip I used. The diameter was very close to the diameter of the existing shunt.

shunt

here is the cover of my controller

shunt

the "guts"

shunt

the area of particular interest

shunt

the holes drilled

shunt
shunt
shunt

If you notice in the pictures my PCB has another shunt running that also powers the fets. Does anyone else PCB have this?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage